The Doughnut Thread (for fun:P)

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Febrith, May 10, 2017.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And it's not just for doughnuts any more! :D

Uwk
  2. Ethini Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and spiced watermelon pickles...the tomato jam still sounds less edible
  3. Valzen Well-Known Member

OK. Seriously you all are making me HUNGRY! LOL
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, once you get past the red part of the watermelon, I can actually see rind pickles; it's like a vegetable by that point, sort of. :-/

Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer uncooked dill cucumber pickles. :)

Uwk
    who wishes that Klausen would stop using HFCS in their pickles... /sigh
  5. Valzen Well-Known Member

Wish I could stay. Need to go to grocery store. I must say there are some really good recipes in here. I've added a few ingredients to my list! See you later. :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Ethini like this.
  6. Ethini Well-Known Member

Back in my day (LOL) we just chucked the rinds out the back door for the chickens.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The second place I lived in for any length of time was a 25 acre farm/orchard (20 acres of almond trees, 5 acres of walnuts, approx.), with the house on top of a hill. We'd toss all the organic, biodegradable stuff (egg shells, coffee grounds, banana peels, watermelon rinds and seeds, etc.) down the hill, out of side of the back yard. Before too long, we'd have numerous things growing out of the midden heap; baby watermelon plants, no doubt, but not just them (cantaloupe seeds, peach pits, etc.), so I would always look askance at the "wild garden" inhabitants...whatever they were, they had lots of fertilizer! :D

Uwk
    Prissetta and Ethini like this.
  8. Spextasy Well-Known Member

Isn't tomato jam....er...ketchup? :D
  9. Ethini Well-Known Member

With as much sugar as they put in it, it should be!
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

I used to LOVE pickles. Not sure what happened, guess it's just one of those things I 'grew' out of, but I am not a big pickle fan anymore. Dill used to be my favorite, but now I like the bread and butter pickles best, when I do eat them, which is extremely rare these days and is only when I attend a picnic or pot luck event with other people and someone has brought a condiment tray with them on it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Spextasy like this.
  11. Khiara Active Member

....had to have therapy over the fact that someone HATES bacon...I'm just...I just can't even....because delicious baconses precious!!!!!:D
    [IMG]
  12. Merriel Well-Known Member

Just like you, Uwk, I love the smell of coffee but I absolutely abhor the taste. Unlike you, however, I cannot drink it even doctored up...I still taste the coffee and I cannot stand that taste. I'll take a nice hot cup of tea or iced tea or hot cocoa any day.

We did spend a week in Austria though when I was about fourteen years old and they served coffee with breakfast every morning (along with fresh milk from the cow and home-made churned butter with home-baked rolls and home-made jam). I was actually able to tolerate the coffee there, as long as nothing was added to it, but I still didn't like it.

The place we stayed at was in the process of converting their family home into a bed-and-breakfast type place, but since they weren't ready to take on guests yet, they weren't sure what to do with us, so they treated us like part of their own family. The place we were supposed to stay had no place for us to park our huge International Harvester Travelall and pop-up tent trailer, so they took us down the road to the place we actually stayed and made arrangements for that family to take us on, since they had a little bit of room to pull the vehicle off the road and park it.

To this day I am grateful for that little detail, because it is one of our most memorable vacations while my dad was stationed overseas.

Speaking of cats...this family had two female and one male cat and they had little fluffy kittens for us to play with during our stay. They told us the kittens were going to go to several families in the area...that they used to have so many cats around there that the rodent problem had been eliminated, so a lot of families got rid of their cats and they started having rodent problems again, and kittens were now in high demand. They were one of the few families who had not gotten rid of their cats, which endeared us to them all the more. :D
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Omg, Khiara, that is just too much! Bacon scented candles? I would always and forever be craving bacon if I used those, lol. My house would always smell good though. :D

Loving the skewered chocolate and sprinkle covered bacon, though. :D
  14. kianne Well-Known Member

No thats scauce not jam, jam is what u lot call jelly, jelly is a pudding made of water and gelatine and fruit and jam is fruit stewed in water and sugar in a pan lol
  15. kianne Well-Known Member

Bacon is my faveeeeeee! hot /cold/ wobbly not burnt....if u like bacon and have fb join the bacon experiment :) its All about Bacon!!.. i love belly pork too such a heavenly tasting food, so full of flavver, /droollllllsssss /gargleeeee baconnnnnnnn
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  16. Spextasy Well-Known Member

I know, I was being silly you strumpet. :p
    I now have this inexplicable urge for some apple butter or peach preserves. o_O
    Oh, I could just jump off a doll's house! :D
  17. kianne Well-Known Member

LOL.... ohhhh i could crush a grappppe lol ... Strumpet lol trollop!! :p
  18. Merriel Well-Known Member

You won't get too far, hehe. :D

I like fresh tomato but am not a fan of anything cooked tomato, regardless of how it is disguised. I love pizza but I always order it either with ranch dressing sauce or bbq sauce. My daughter, on the other hand, loves marinara sauce and wants the pizza smothered in it. Blech! I can't eat it when it's like that, lol.
    Spextasy and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

NO SWEET AND SAVORY. ABOMINATIONS WILL BE DESTROYED. X-(

Uwk
    Merriel likes this.
  20. Spextasy Well-Known Member

My bf absolutely hates tomatoes (or any fruit that isn't a banana for that matter, he won't even eat fruit pie, the weirdo!) but ironically pizza is one of his favorite foods, after tacos and manicotti. He's a real study in contradictions, my man. :p
    Merriel and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.