The Desolator - Untamed Lands solo

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by The-Plethora, Dec 24, 2020.

1. The-Plethora Active Member

Can someone have a look at this mob please? It should be an interesting fight but a lot of times when the two portals pop up he just dissapears and you have no idea which one he went to and have to take a guess and maybe die. I have slowed DPS to nothing a few times but it still seems to happen so I don't think I am killing too fast.
    I have beaten him but this is quite frustrating at times.
    Craized likes this.
  2. Xianthia Well-Known Member

For me it's the "last" port that the mob just poofs and it's an actual guess which to use.

"last" = possible last port since the mob was at less than 10% then poofed and died since I guessed incorrectly.

Yes, please take a look at this pathing/using the portal issue.
  3. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Positioning plays a factor in the fight, and you do have to pay attention to which portal he actually goes into. it only took me one death to figure out how to script the fight, and I watched him run into the correct portal each time afterward.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  4. Xianthia Well-Known Member

It's not about scripting, I know the script. The Desolator will sometimes poof into next area, without indicating which portal to go through. Glad it's worked for you!
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I have not seen this happen, myself. Have you tried positioning just outside the lightning in the middle of the area? I toss a cure as I land and then reposition myself so I can see it all. He should start to drift slightly towards the portal just before he goes.
  6. Xianthia Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I do. Except sometimes the despoiler just poofs, there is no drifting towards the portals.
  7. Chrol Developer

This might be caused by the portals spawning so close to him that he needs not path and just ports away. If that’s the case then the correct portal is the one closest to where he vanished.

Also, if you run the solo instance with two characters, only one will be able to see him floating off to the nearest portal.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  8. Xianthia Well-Known Member

bold is mine - This may be what's caused it a few times. I wasn't able to see where he ported to and other person in group would point me into the right portal.

Today was the exception for me, I was solo in the zone and he was just "poofing" I'll choose the closest portal next time this happens see if that works. Thank you.

No idea if that's what will fix it for OP. /fingers crossed
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  9. Craized New Member

ive just encountered this myself. still doing exactly as described by the OP. the named will randomly (most often when at around 10% hp, but also at other times too) just disappear rather move towards the portal, giving a 50/50 chance of death. after 10 attempts and broken gear, i gave up in disgust. very frustrating.
  10. Craized New Member

i thought this may have been the case too, but that idea proved incorrect at least 3 times for me.
  11. Craized New Member

i two box on 2 separate computers. this was not the case for me. when he disappeared, he did so on both screens for me