The Big 2-0 and Wizard_286

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Hurdoc, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Hurdoc Guest

Disclaimer: I am a veteran of other MMORPGs but relatively new to EQ2 with NO high level experience.

I started off thinking, "WOOT! YEAH! Warlock, baby!" and started this character but with level 20 approaching, and further research of the spell lines of each subclass, I'm feeling depressed. There are oodles of Wizards already and Warlocks are a little less common but my desire to be distinct is clashing versus my desire to have fun. Honestly, I don't want to be just another wizard like half the mage population but I can see why they're popular. Is the Warlock AOE spell line so overwhelming powerful that they get no interesting (useful?) utility function (e.g. Evac). I don't have a lot of time to play always and I'd hate to get to level 40 and regret not just going with the crowd and making a Wizard.
    Actually, I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice, venting, or just rambling... :smileyindifferent:
  2. ARCHIVED-XBrit Guest

Yes, after lev 50 Warlock AOE capabilities are fairly spectacular. I'd argue that they should at least get FD as a utility, though. Great way to bail out when aggro hits.

If you're interested in raiding, with the current state of class balance you're better off re-rolling a summoner. They outdamage sorcerors consistently in most fights longer than about 30 secs. Summoners are mana-efficient and can go flat-out or close for most of a raid fight, because the hate they get is divided between them and one or more pets. Whereas sorcerors have to manage power and have to throttle their damage to avoid aggro.

Between Warlock and Wiz, I'd guess that Warlocks are most welcome on raids. Their role as king of AOE is actually quite a valuable one... even Rangers and Bezerkers don't come close in this area. Wizards, on the other hand, are probably about the #4 single target dps, behind rangers, necros, conjurors.

In an XP group, Sorcerors will work just fine... for 10-25 second fights they can pwn. Wiz is great on single target, Warlock is quite amazing against grouped XP mobs... click pause poof all dead.
  3. ARCHIVED-Hurdoc Guest

Thank you, I appreciate the response, particularly coming from someone who has played a wizard, warlock, and necromancer to high levels! That's dedication!
  4. ARCHIVED-Dreadwalker Guest

Warlock mid 50s. Our utility is next to nothing. Null Caress which teleports mobs around and slows them while ok i find never moves them far away enough. Would of been nice if it pushed back the mobs from the castors direction. OUr mana regen lines are a waste of time and except maybe in raids will never use them.

Aggro management I have found is a problem for sorcerors in general. Scouts have hate reducing skills , warlocks have a 15 minute you gotta get hit reducer. If im in an xp group with a pally with Amends on me I can let loose on my AOE which is devestating. But with any other tank I have found I gotta hold of using any of my AOEs till a good portion of the group mobs are damaged. Otherwise I get aggro faster than you can count to 3. What does this mean ? --> our dps drops a few notches down the list while we debuff, dot , single DD attack. Scouts , necros seem to have a luxury of going full damage from the start.

This is something i never realised when starting the warlock. Yes we do some awesome damage , but due to aggro issues we can often be hamstrung from using its full potential. Also minus any autoattack when we are out of mana we dont have a Pet or weapon to keep the dps ticking like the scout , summoners do.

Back to your original questionn. we do some nice damage to group mobs ... but no equivalent Evac utility to go with it . So more or less your just a castor and nothing else. Id also say Wiz's have no nil crystal requirement for spells similar/better than ours.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tomanak Guest

No, thats obsession :smileytongue:
    j/k KBrit..good response to the OP :)
    Go with a Warlock...we are just cooler :smileywink:
    Message Edited by Tomanak on 12-08-2005 10:03 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Plague Master Guest

Personally I think evac is overrated. Yeah, its nice, but its not what I would judge a caster class by.

I love playing my warlock. I've made quite a few people say "holy %^&$ what was that?!". Doing 7-8000 damage to each of four different mobs in 20 seconds is rather fun.

I have gone back to playing my paladin some, and even in groups with a decent dps, its seems that fights are taking much longer without my warlock around.
  7. ARCHIVED-DwarvesRUs Guest

I still have people telling me they're gonna go make a warlock alt RIGHT NOW after seeing how much damage I bring to a group. They've been doing it ever since about level 24, and I'm 51 now.

That said, I'm sure that had I gone wizard I'd be every bit as happy with it as I am with my warlock. From what I can tell, they're really not *that* different. I truly wouldn't say that one is better than the other.
  8. ARCHIVED-Ginja Ael Guest

I'm just a mere 39 warlock and I agree. I get wonderment for the damage I do. Then I get hit by the mobs.

I'm looking forward to grouping with a pally after reading these posts about amend spells.
  9. ARCHIVED-Shipwreck_GPA Guest

I have a 50 Warlock, and group or duo with a 51 Wizard friend of mine, and I would say we are about equal. He does some things better, while I do others. He shines on the single ^^ or ^^^ oull, but I certainly hold my own. And I shine on any pull of 2 or more, especially if there are more than 3, but he is certainly respectable there too. We don't raid (yet), so I can't really say anything about raids, but for groups we compare and complememnt each other really well.
    Having another guy with group root alone is really nice. :smileyvery-happy: