The Behemoth

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Sartredes, May 16, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

it is lvl 15, No AAXP for collections under level 20. So waiting 5 or so months to turn it in wont get you any thing more.
  2. ARCHIVED-coolphoenix Guest

Ok I'm have trouble finding jeroel the famished i just need a general loc on him.
  3. ARCHIVED-MerlinTKD Guest

coolphoenix, if you'll check Vhalen's post, and then scan the replies, you'll get pointed int he right direction. As a hint, I'll say, Jeroel is in a place you first must get access to.

Now, having found him, and fed him... I'm lost on the binder. There's no binder in the tower near Jeroel, there's no binder in the tower I used to get there... what other tower, then? I'm a bit confused, at that part. Hints or PM'd spoilers are both acceptable, thanks! :smileytongue:
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Yeah, but waiting 5 months to turn in the numerous other books and collection quests I've also finished after hitting level 50 is still worth it.
  5. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

But whats that have to do with this? /shrug I was refering to the one certain collection which goes with this topic. heh
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

And I'm refering to the fact that I have other collections waiting to be turned in that will give AXP, so I might as well just wait. :p
  7. ARCHIVED-kythik Guest

For those that are waiting to get aa xp. I am sure you want to read it so here you go, enjoy i sure did.

The Lore of Fauna: The Behemoth
    By Prof. Romiak Jusathorn

Planar Influence: Mana
    Sub Races: Unknown
    Frequency: Extinct
    Size: Titanic
    Region: Global
    Habitat: Land and Sea

Long before any creature dominated Norrath, there came into existence beasts of legendary nature. Many of these creatures came and left before the dieties spread their children across the surface of Norrath. One of these legendary beast types is known as teh Gargantile Cheldridea, or Behemoth.

The Behemoth were a race of immense reptile like beasts of gargantuan proportions. They were easily some 180 meters in length with a very broad ribcasge. Their limbs were long and powerful, perfect for striking down the greatest of prey.

The tails of these beasts accounted for one quarter of their total length. They often employed the tain in battle with larger beasts of their era. The swipe of such a tail could kill a wurm. They walked upon all fours, but fossils have indicated they most likely rose up their hind legs during battles.

The behemoths were placed upon Norrath by enities unknown. I believe that their existence is a gist of nature, possibly a beast sprung from necessity. The behemoth acted more as a force of nature then an intelligent beast of warlike destruction. They would slumber for centuries at a time and only awaken to destroy budding ancient communities of the few ancient societies of the era.

The behemoths were eventually destroyed, possibly by the the major deities who plaed a stake in the population of Norrath's prime races. Their immense fossilized bones can be in various hard to reach locations of Norrath. The fossils are quiest a fine, but never intact.

One behemoth is rumored to still be in existence and was last recorded in an ancient dragonkind scroll to have been lumbering upon the frozen steppes of the Frigid Plain. This same scroll indicates a fear of these beasts among dragonkind, one of the first races to inhabit norrath.

It is my theory that some of the early dragon communities could have been laid to waste by a single behemoth. Evidence has shown that these gigantic beasts often lived a solitary life. For the dragons, it is a blessing that these creatures did not roam in herds.

In early ages, sea captains also reported to have seen the beasts in deep oceans. There was once an ancient water beast that terrorized much of the Coldwind Coastline of Antonica. From evidence acquired, I believe this water beast to be a behemoth. That beast is said to ahve been destroyed by the greatest warship ever built, the Q.S.S. Eradicator. Both the beast and the ship are said to lie in the deep abyss of the Ocean of Tears.

My studies continue and I have found many remains I believe to belong to these thunderous creatures. The greatest behemoth fossils I discovered came from such places as the Community of Oggok, the Dreadlands of Kunark and the valley of Dragonscale Hills of Faydwer.

Scholars of the Academy of Arcane Science dispute my findings. But I have speculated that the moden day ocean wurm is a distant relatice to the Behemoths. They may have merely adapted to the water through means of biological evolution that i have theorized, Jusathorn's Theory of Bioevolution. This theory explains that mana is the true creator of these beasts.

Mana creates out of necessity. The vessel of mana called Norrath requires bioevolution for survival. The behemoths acted as cleansers of exterminators to the world, mother Norrath's ultimate guardians, not the children of dieties. The behemoths no doubt, had special innate magical resistances due to their mana nature.

This made them more then a match for any of the ancient races, including those of dragonkind. I believe there to be a quasi place sprung off the plane of growth wehre many of these beasts will always lumber. It is on this quasi plane that i shall continue my research.

For further information please reference: "Behemoth, A Force of Nature" by Romiak Jusathorn and "The Theory of Bioevolution" by Romaik Jusathorn.
  8. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

It could be interesting if Rallos got control of a few of these :smileyhappy:
  9. ARCHIVED-kythik Guest

I dont know but maybe Allizewsaur was a behemoth? Not sure when the Q.S.S. Eradicator did its thing, but maybe that was agaisnt Allizewsaur?
    Message Edited by kythik on 06-19-2006 02:31 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

I just wonder if we're going to see the Dragonscale Hills of Faydwer in a couple months. *shifty eyes*
  11. ARCHIVED-Sartredes Guest

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.
    Very nice read about something I've wondered about since beta. I always felt there was more to know about the Behemoth and this book fit the bill nicely. Thanks Vhalen!
  12. ARCHIVED-hahn_bard Guest

This was taken from the Lore revolving around the attack of the Firiona Vie outpost. It was controlled by the armies of Lanys T'Vyl.
    Interesting to say the least!
  13. ARCHIVED-Dynn The Monk Guest

Must be amazingly powerful if a single one can turn the tide of a battle.
  14. ARCHIVED-Straylight Guest

Bah...Tremblar isn't that big...and I think even Darathar could probably take him...
  15. ARCHIVED-RaphaNissi Guest

I'm surprised no one has mentioned real lore about behemoths and how they looked to figure out more about how they looked here ;). They seem to be an amphibious creature and the biggest to roam the earth. Here are some tidbits from a few different places.

Behold Behemoth,
    which I made as I made you;
    he eats grass like an ox.
    Behold, his strength is in his loins,
    and his power in the muscles of his belly.
    He makes his tail stiff like a cedar;
    the sinews of his thighs are knit together.
    His bones are tubes of bronze,
    his limbs like bars of iron.
    He is the first of the works of God;
    let him who made him bring near his sword!
    For the mountains yield food for him
    where all the wild beast play.
    Under the lotus plant he lies,
    in the covert of the reeds and in the marsh.
    For his shade the lotus tree covers him
    the willows of the brook surround him.
    Behold, if the river is turbulent he is not frightened;
    he is confident though Jordan rushes against his mough.
    Can one take him with hooks,
    or pierce his nose with a snare?

n Jewish belief, Behemoth is the primal unconquerable monster of the land

Behemoth is the largest and most powerful animal.

Several of these statements fall in line with what we have learned in eq2.

*hopes using real life lore to parallel with eq lore isn't overstepping boundaries*
  16. ARCHIVED-Nocturnal Abyss Guest

17. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

If anyone would have a screenshot, it would be Illia's Bestiary from Allakhazam's. However, there seems to be hide nor hair of some sort of behemoth. not even any mention of such a thing from what is recorded in the website.

If there was some sort of behemoth involved, nobody bothered to take screenshots.
  18. ARCHIVED-Thax Guest

There are some out there somewhere, because I remember seeing some. Most likely, they were on private guild websites, which may or may not exist anymore.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=7661

Looks like the behemoth there was just a supersized golem. You have to consider what's in the global file though, in GM events character/mob size can change, but any graphics have to come from that specific zone information or from the global file, and most likely lizard men or the big one out in Ocean of Tears were not in the global file.
    Message Edited by Thax on 06-22-2006 08:29 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Which I wouldn't have expected anything less. It comes as no surprise to me that that is what it turned out to be, as I pretty much expected as much.

It's not like they would design a special monster model for the whole thing, but I think one of those giant Bazu beasts from Omens of War would have been more appropriate, if it was possible to import the model to the zone.
  20. ARCHIVED-Privateer Guest

If I'm not mistaken there is a painting called "The Behemoth" that you can get for your house. The creature on it looks like some giant whale. I think this might be the one listed in the book that was destroyed by a ship.