the art of the power level

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by discomboblatron, Mar 7, 2023.

1. discomboblatron New Member

a time-honored tradition, power leveling is. one that, sadly, is all but extinct in the modern mmo. whether it be via insistent level-scaling, or simply by quest-focused leveling paths, power leveling is rarely done anymore. even live eq2 has moved that way!

but, varsoon says...nay! power leveling is alive and well, and still the fastest way to level. so i thought today, it would make an interesting discussion to hear people's thoughts on power leveling strategies. routes, group compositions, aa's, and everything in between! what does the optimal 5-player power level squad look like to you?

to throw my 2 cents in, you can't go wrong with a shadowknight at the helm! perhaps a bard for runspeed and power regen (power regen seeming to be more important in earlier expansions than later? i wonder why that is). always a single, druid healer. whichever you prefer. the other two slots? more debatable in my opinion. swash and lock are classic aoe, but sometimes having a necro in favor of one of them can be handy. i've pretty much always just ran through various contested dungeons, not much of a complicated route. but i bet there are technically better, more complicate routes out there.

share what ya know!
    Feara likes this.
  2. Spiritus Praeteriti Member

The art of power level is now tied to how many kronos are you willing to spend, do you have the exp. potions to not make this a single minute longer than it needs to be, and please pay attention and follow.
    Siren likes this.
  3. discomboblatron New Member

cool but could you at least engage with anything said while you complain?
    Feara and Dude like this.
  4. KythosMeltdown Active Member

Power leveling is bad for the game. It always has been. People would rather buy 2 kronos to pay the one guy boxing 5 characters to boost you in a couple hours than actually play the game before max level.

The game is extremely inefficient to level solo and as the population dwindles and levels get higher - people are less and less likely to jump back in and play. IMO this is the reason the servers die so fast.

Slow leveling is good in Vanilla, when everyone is leveling - and that's it.
    Siren likes this.
  5. DENSER Well-Known Member

there is something for all tastes. I do not understand the principle in an mmo, even with deadlines of 4 months. but some want to be max quickly either for raid or impatience or because They know the game by heart , lack of time.etc etc.
    You're interested, you call on them and generally, given some feedback, you're very happy with it. You don't want, it's up to you.
  6. Feara Well-Known Member

I like the title to your thread because it’s true. It is an art.

I know a great man that still plays EQ2, his never left and he has been around from day one. The only way to know him is in game. I can say that he is the most knowledgeable player I have ever meet. To be powerleveled by him is an experience that you don’t forget. He knows everything like the back of his hand.

He befriended our Guild a long time ago and he powerleveled some of the players toons.

He does not power level for Krono. He has got to like you. He love, loves to do it.

Anyway Discomboblatron, thank you for the memory.

I’m sorry the only thing I could share was this.
    Aggy, discomboblatron and Fetish like this.
  7. Fetish Well-Known Member

Is he by chance a Froglok? If so, then indeed it was always a wonderful experience to receive that PL.
    Feara likes this.
  8. Feara Well-Known Member

Yes, and he is big on Gnomes.