The Age of Scale overlapping with the Elder Age & Human creation?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Jacra, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Meirril Well-Known Member

It said the dragons grew jealous. It didn't say the dragons were responsable for the fall of the Empire. The Combine Empire was destroyed by internal politics that resulted in Katta's most trusted advisor betraying him and throwing the entire Empire into a civil war that resulted in the Loyalist faction retreating to Luclin and the fanatical Seru army following. Both armies were trapped on Luclin and the remaining combine on Norrath fractured and lost not only their identity but also all knowledge of the most powerful magic known to mortals (Geomancy).

On Luclin neither Combine faction had any dealings or even knowledge of the Shissar who basically kept to themselves out of utter paranoia. Both the Loyalist and Seru factions were too busy watching each other and skirmishing to mess with any of the other civilizations on the moon.

The Teir'dal magic vs Euradite magic is probably a refrence to the development of Necromancy which is the latest form of magic to be studdied and expanded in EQ1's history. Chronomancy would be even newer (and a 5th age of magic?).

The way magic developed was from the raw form the Dragons first practice to the way they refined it in later ages. Elves learned a bit of this magic directly from a Dragon at some point (not really covered well in Lore). From the Elves it slowly worked its way to the rest of the races in the game. The Kedge developed magic independently of the Dragons and Elves and had a more advanced magic at the time their race imploded. The Rallosians also developed magic independently of the Dragons. How the Shissar developed their magic is undocumented except that they stole runes of magic from the planes. Obviously they had to develop a way to travel the planes before they could raid them for more advanced magic.

The entire document was an explination of the various languages you needed to learn to use the rune components in EQ1 to research different spells. Without learning those languages you wern't able to craft those spells. Basically this is lore created to explain a game mechanic and not part of some greater story in EQ1.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ok, Lucan's story is that the Knights of Truth left the young paladin in chage of the city's defense. He betrayed them and took over. Now he's attempting to find the Knights of Truth by torturing any members he can find for information. If he's ruled Freeport for 200 years as of the current time in EQ1...how many 200 year old humans do you see wandering around? None. Obviously Lucin must use some kind of magic to keep himself alive but there are no indication in his story that he isn't human until you kill him for the Soulfire quest (and yes, you kill him. twice).
    Furthermore why is he still capturing Knights of Truth (humans) 200 years later? If there are any Knights of Truth after 200 years it is very obvious that they wern't destroyed in Befallen. The entire story of Freeport is that this all happened recently and Lucin is trying to verify that they won't come marching back and depose him. He is slowly taking over Freeport from the remaining Knights at this point, he hasn't completely won. Over 200 years, if he's only half taken the city...that makes no sense.
  3. Venomizer Member

Understanding the lore and ironing out inconsistencies can be very fun.

Entire games are built on this premise, mystery games (myst).

EQ2 really only has 2 communities, adventuring and crafting. I'm hoping that EQNext is renovating the lore timeline to carve out a new community. With a fully valid game of uncovering the lore with abilities like "gauge veracity" on npc comments. Like an expanded type of vanguards diplomacy.

Yeah the timeline has massive problems, gets retconed sometimes, etc...but making it pristine will likely just make it boring and remove place for opinions to exist. I would much prefer details of new expacs coming from a lore community who scrambles to provide references of new discoveries as they uncover details FROM THE GAME.

IMO the age of scale ended when brell's 1st pact created races that thrived. The age of scale covered a time when other gods dominated deity politics, who were extincted by Rhoen Theer, but Veeshan's dragonkin dominated the hero plane. Only rivaled by 1 race, who met a surprising demise from an unexpected quarter.

I prefer to call the entire age of scale prehistoric. Time before recorded writing. At least by any playable race.

The first introduction a player has to eq2 is the Age Timeline from the manual included with the box.
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Norrath's_Creation

There are enough vague references throughout eq2 to prove just about any theory.

The real skill comes in weighting sources. Maybe the Age Timeline is false? Personally I think your Age of Scale is a huge stretch, putting shissar with dragons in age of scale is like putting humans with tyranosaurus rex. timelines dont match by millions and millions of years. Shissar creator wasn't even member of brell's first pact. He came later with 2nd. The first pact marked the end of age of scale. Where the shissar even the first race created by cazic?

Anyway, my main hope is that the EQNext instantiation of lore has a main overseer with an understanding not just of keeping it all straight and authentic, but in allowing npcs to spread lies and allow mystery to do its work for him. Players want to work for it, they dont want it given away too easy. Play hard to get with the truth. One thing I really came to appreciate in eq2 was "voice" and the designers understanding of it. eq2 is littered with obviously false accounts from less than accurate sources who are basically being cast as superstitious backwater rednecks. The minotaur creation story for example.

I would love EQNext to have subgroups where playing along with their understanding of reality (minotaur shaman) would advance your diplomacy options.

The thing with carving out niches, is that they really need to be distinguished from other communities, so that they can keep their distance if they so choose. Forcing hardcore raiders to constantly interact with crafting community makes ppl sad. Forcing lore game onto adventurers without choice would really suck. Getting interdependency right is essential.
  4. Mixxit Active Member

Based on the cryptic but fabulous lizardmen lore I believe the order was:

The 4 golems Horror, Fright, Dread, and Terror

Then the lizardmen

Then another mysterious race (shissar probably goes here)

Then two more mysterious 'children' (probably Morell Thule & Terris Thule)

Then from the 4 golems he made the Amygadalan

Hope that helps
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

It is a good story, but that implies that Cazic Thule was only responsable for three races. CT is definately responsable for the creation of the Iksar and there isn't any provision for them and the Shissar to be created in the story. The creation of Trolls isn't talked about but Cazic is the race's creator. Also it sounds like the Lizardmen were created on the Fear plane in the story. It really doesn't matter if the Lizardmen pre-date Norrath as well but it sounds like they were created after the first pact since the "lesser emotions" were making "even lesser emotions in the dulling". That means Lizardmen should of been a second pact race and seeded into Norrath.
  6. Emissary Vex Active Member

Some if that information is from the lore in "The Age of Monuments"

http://lorenorrath.free.fr/read.php?link=ages_monuments

Cazic-Thule, Lord of Fear, was drawn to the swamps and jungles of Norrath and there created the green skinned Trolls, the reptilian Lizard Men and the Iksars of Kunark.

Also I just wasted a huge amount of time trying to find the lore but I cannot. I am extremely certain that cazic created the Shissar. I remember reading two things, there is lore somewhere that says something along the lines that he created all the non-dragon scaled creatures. I believe there is also lore someplace that directly ties Cazic to the Greenmist but I can't find it.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Perty much all of the greenmist/CT/Shissar story was given as part of the Greenmist weapon quest in EQ1. That is where they talked about how Cazic Thule sent the Greenmist to destroy the Shissar because they dared to stop worshiping him but the Iksar were unharmed because they continued to worship CT. Also about the whole bit where small amounts of the Greenmist were left behind as residue and made into weapons incase the Shissar ever came back.