Templar DPS

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Avouriel the Ratonga, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Avouriel the Ratonga Active Member

I remember, back when I first started playing back in 2004 I mained a High Elf Templar, and I remember that I just spent like 90% of my time grinding to max level, I do also remember it taking me like 6 months half because of school and half because leveling was a lot slower back then. lol

Either way, I was thinking of remaking my main, but as a Ratonga..because ratongas are fun and I was wondering if a Templar can do DPS well or if I need to go through hell and back to make that happen.
  2. Twyla Well-Known Member

I have a Templar that I solo. She does very well, granted it takes her a little longer than my Zerker but she is faster than my Pally. I say go for it! :D
    Jesaine likes this.
  3. Ayodi Active Member

If you pursue high quality spells & abilities, adequate gear, and find agreeable players to run with Templar is a fine class. Minus any of those three things, and Templar is back with Mystic in the seller of possible DPS caps. (No "They" have not made all healers the same yet.) Templar is groovie heals, attacks, eh, not so much :) Good Luck.
  4. Jesaine Well-Known Member

My limited experience here is that you're going to hit like a screaming little school girl for the first 10 to 15 levels. It does improve after that though. As others have said, you will NOT be top tier DPS with a Templar (nor should ANY healer be anyway), but with good gear and upgraded spells, you'll have a plenty capable character for soloing or groups. :).
    Twyla likes this.
  5. Lidahn Lady of Light And Crystalline Hydromancer

since inquisitor and templar are kinda similar they probably both have the exorcist tree? my question is exorcist is a good dps section?
    Riverbear likes this.
  6. Riverbear Active Member

This Templar has not seen happiness in that line.
    It looks nice on paper in the AA tree explanation, however it does not bring forward the satisfaction ANY other line does.
    It may be possible the line is suitable for something however it has been mightily edited and changed since the first go.
    Now the Exorcist Line is more of that crazy uncle who lives out back sharpening things than that hero who stomps undead.
    Be Happy.
    Amybelle, Lidahn and Twyla like this.
  7. Lidahn Lady of Light And Crystalline Hydromancer

i wish it would work....anyone has good dps inquisitor to link? in the eq2 character wiki:? 125+ i wish to compare my tree
  8. Venora New Member

For Solo Exorcise (part of exorcist tree) has become mendatory if u want to make more dps as inquisitor/templar (also speed up solo zone runs a little bit...).
    For comparsation search an inquistitor e.g. with more then 7500/7600 resolve and have an eye on the different aa specs...sometime raid spec is active and different to solo/group spec...if inqui/templare is not lazy to switch...
  9. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

I always use Exorcise, no matter the type or level of content.
  10. Riverbear Active Member

It's very much like asking "Wizard HPS"
    Wizards, Assassins, (w.e.) are not in the game for HPS.
    Templars are in it for HPS. Inquisitors are as well, mostly.
    I know no one who logs in just a'bustin to run their Temp solo.
    IMHO it's more of a group ( 2 or more ) dependent class if fun is to be in the mix.
    There may be one or two players who dig slogging with the next to the lowest damage cap class in the game, yet I am not one of them.
    The enjoyment is running with good peeps & green-barring the impossible =)
    Jesaine likes this.
  11. Jesaine Well-Known Member

This is the trouble with modern "I have to be a god" game mechanics. Everybody wants to know how fast they can kill things.

Back when EQ2 launched, people had the patience to enjoy falling into their class's given role, and took pride in doing it well. They didn't ask what healer had the best DPS, they asked which healer was best for healing raids, etc...

My second character was an Inquisitor. I solo'ed her up to level 54, long before mercenaries came along or the zones had aggro'ed mob density vastly reduced. The fights took longer, because I had to heal myself regularly, BUT I took pride in knowing my character well enough that I could solo with a support class.

Nowadays, with mercenaries and familiars, a blind monkey can rapidly level any class.
  12. Twyla Well-Known Member

I agree so much with you Jesaine. I keep telling people to 'take your time' learn how your class works.
    Riverbear and Jesaine like this.
  13. Jesaine Well-Known Member

All they can relate to is newer games that have the main character completely dominates everything.

Teamwork sounds boring on the surface, but a well oiled team can accomplish so much more than a single character. Being the best healer or debuffer is just as important as DPS too. :)
    Riverbear likes this.
  14. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

It helps to find an item with a damage shield on it, as well. There used to be a thorns potion that alchemists made - but now I think there are probably LoN items on the broker that can provide that. REALLY helps if soloing a Templar.
  15. Holdolin Member

This. I mean sure, it's always good to play your class as well as you can, but as a healer your main focus is heals. I too have seen this attitude in many other players/games.

Avouriel my friend, if you like the idea of a Templar then do it. Give it your all and see how ya like it. Good healers are rarely without work :)
    Riverbear and Twyla like this.