Templar AA guide?

Discussion in 'Templar' started by ARCHIVED-Elrad, Dec 15, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Elrad Guest

Hi all, i recently started and have a templar lvl 29 and i havnt spent any aa. Im having a lot of trouble deciding what aas to use so i was hoping someone else show me a aa chart? all i do is group, and quest when im lfg, so i was looking for aas that effect my healing, but i can only find one at lvl 70. If there are none that effect my healing than i have no idea. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-Meatwaggon Guest

I'm assuming you're doing a mix of grouping and soloing as you described in your post. The AA's I recommend are for starting out and some of the AA's will likely need to be respecced as you lvl to 90. For now try this:

Your first 25 AA should be spent going down the Stamina line in the Cleric tree to pick up crit chance and Devout Aura. At your lvl crit chance will be 0 unless you choose this line, and if you're soloing DA comes in handy in a tight spot.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j00p1@848a1

Your next 24 AA should be spent going down the Strength line in the Cleric tree to pick up Steadfast. The other AA's there are not bad either. Then spend 1 AA to get Divine Castigation (crappy spell, but you'll be going down this subtree later). You are now capped at 50 in the Cleric Tree for now.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01e148a1@448a1@41

The next 21 AA should be spent in the Templar tree to get Smite Wrath. You are now at 71 AA.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01e14...@4110l@a5555@a1

The next 28 AA should be spent in the Templar tree going down the left-hand side to get Blessings. Healing Fate is particularly nice for heroic mobs that die quickly. You should be at least lvl 47 by this point or the Glory AA will not be helpful. You are now at 99 AA.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01e14...@13@35555@81@11

The next 21 AA should be spent in the Shadows tree as follows. You should now be sitting at 120 AA, allowing you access to the next Shadows row.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01e14...@35@15@25@15@31

The next 16 AA should be spent down the next row in the Shadows tree. You are now at 136 AA.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01e14...15@31@15@155@11

After this it all depends on your lvl. Your AA caps increase at levels 70 and 81. You should figure roughly 2 AA's per level, so at 136 AA you should be almost if not already at lvl 70. If so, go back to the Cleric tree and spend 20 AA down the Intelligence subtree to cap out the Cleric tree at 70 pts. You are now at 156 AA.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01y14...15@31@15@155@11

Now go to the Templar tree and spend 21 AA in the Cures subtree. You are now at 177 AA and hopefully lvl 81+.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01y14...15@31@15@155@11

Spend 24 AA in the Templar subtree of the Shadows tree. You are now at 201 AA.
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j01y14...@155@11@2555511

After about 200 AA's, individual preferences and gaming routine become much more prominent as the choices aren't as easy as before. I would pick up Divine Guidance in the Cleric tree sooner rather than later, then perhaps go to the Templar tree and pick up True Faith. If you end up raiding your templar you will be obliged to have a full-heal spec. For grouping or soloing you can put together a mixed or solo spec. This obviously requires the services of an AA mirror. As an example here's my raid spec:
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j02s14...5@11@11@1555@11
    My solo spec, which seems to work just as well for pickup groups:
    http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?j02s14...@1555@25@355@21

Hope this helps.
  3. ARCHIVED-mysteriousdrake Guest

Meatwagon offers some good tips.
    But of course, if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    (I'll provide some more of my personal insight in a little while here...)
  4. ARCHIVED-mysteriousdrake Guest

Okay... So, here are my thoughts, generally speaking for all the AAs (but noting your current level), on setting up your AAs.

Starting with your Cleric Tree...

On the strength line... You'll want to spend four points each on Skull Crack and Bolt of Power so you can get to Unwavering Resolve. This AA you might want to spend a bunch of points in (eventually, perhaps all 10) for its boost to your Focus skill and your Max Health. Focus, so you'll be harder to interrupt by attacks, and Max Health cuz, well, duh!
    Once you have some more levels and AA points to spend, then absolutely pick up Steadfast (and eventually, once you're level 81+, Steadfast Resolve to bolster the Steadfast passive AA ability).
    On the stamina line... You'll want to, again, spend at least 4 points on Hammer Divine Smite and Severe Judgement to get to the Inspired Renewal AA. On Inspired Renewal, especially at early levels, maxing it out to 10 points will be beneficial for the Crit Chance increase -- this applies to everything: heals, attacks and melee. Now, at later levels, you can EASILY get over 100% Crit Chance from gear and buffs... so you might choose to respec and not spend points on Inspired Renewal.
    However, I disagree with meatwagon. At early levels, Divine Aura won't benefit you much. Think about it this way: the way that AA works, it's absorbing damage amounts that are less than 50% of your Health but only for 10 seconds. I'm not saying it's not a useful AA, but at lower levels, most monsters' and encounters' damage can be handled through your heals rather than this AA (especially with the reactive heals we Templars have at our disposal as well as the debuffs which proc heals as well).
    On the intelligence line... Same as the other lines, start with spending 4 points on Divine Castigation so you can progress down the line. You might choose to spend more than four points on Pact of the Faithful to increase your spell damage. But more importantly, at early levels, spending points into Facile Grace (and indeed, at any level!) is a definite boon, since it increases your ability casting speed.
    I would definitely advise spending 8 points in Pact of the Faithful and at least 8 in Facile Grace (preferably 10, unless you spend more than four on Divine Castigation) so that you can pick up Divine Recovery. This AA will help you and your group members through tough encounters. And Divine Healing below it, after reaching level 81, makes Divine Recovery even better!
    Now, this is a LONG way's away... But spending enough AAs on the Cleric Tree to eventually get Divine Guidance is going to be one of the best choices you can make: Max Health increase and a constant reactive heal proc for the duration of the spell.

On the Templar Tree... I'll refer to these each in chunks, by their sub-heading.
    For the Blessings grouping, definitely start with 3 points in Mark of Divinity so you can get to the enhancement for Healing Fate. The way the Healing Fate spell works (heal proc every 20% health drop the mob takes), the more you can boost the spell, the better! I would also boost Involuntary Gift, so it ticks more often; surprisingly enough, the heal and cure proc really help at later levels over the duration of longer fights. The heal amount may not be much, but according to my parser, they definitely add up! Once you get to level 45, max out the enhance for Unyielding Benediction; the better this spell is (expert / master) and the more often it triggers, the better for you or your tank (solo or grouped, that is). Ditto that at level 47, max out the enhance for Glory. I usually drop the Glory buff on two group members (if I can) who will be doing lots of melee/dps (i.e. scouts) so it will trigger its group-heal proc more often.
    Once you've gotten to level 47+, definitely pick up Blessings -- anything that increases triggers and procs for you and your group is /drool-worthy! lol
    For the Compliances grouping... Definitely drop 5 AAs into the enhance for Rebuke since this debuff makes mobs even more prone to physical damage. I personally skip the AA for Harmony, not because it's not useful, but because in groups, you mostly won't need to worry about drawing aggro away from tanks and DPS classes. Ditto that for the AA for Soothe; save your points. You should choose for yourself if you want to enhance Awestruck or Sign of Pacification -- they are useful, but compared to other classes' debuffs that mezz or snare, etc... /shrug
    One the Holy Smites grouping...These are your attack spells. Spend points here as you wish, based on how you use these spells. Meaning, if you spend more time grouping and healing / debuffing, maybe don't spend as many points (just 3 here and there to progress down the grouping). Or if you spend a lot of time soloing, spend more points to make these spells faster to reuse, etc... Up to you and your playstyle.
    IF you spend a lot of time solo-ing at these lower levels, then spend more points here to pick up Smite Wrath as it passively increases your attack spell damage (until you cast a heal, that is).
    For the Cures... Let me lay out how I have this section set up... Five points on Enhance: Cure, zero points on Enhance: Cure II (more on this later), five points on Enhance: Involuntary Gift (see above for why, in the Blessings section), five points on Enhance: Shield of Faith, five points on Enhance: Devoted Resolve and five points on Enhance: Sanctuary.
    Now, this is my setup at level 90. However, at lower levels, you need to spend nine cumulative points before you can spend on Enhance: Devoted Resolve (3, 3 and 3 on the AAs previous to it which I mentioned)... When you can, I'd suggest 3 points into it so you can spend points boosting Sanctuary - an extremely useful groupwide anti-control spell. So, as you build toward these AAs, I'm saying start with 3 points in each AA and then to max Sanctuary as you're able.
    Now, I skip Enhance: Cure II because the benefit it gives you is a stoneskin proc each time you successfully cure. However, it only procs based off of where your (or your groupmember's) health level is. My thinking is, if a groupmember is, say, under 20% health and they have a detriment on them, I'm going to heal them before I cure them (since most of the time, a regular detriment isn't going to kill them)... Thus negating the need for a stoneskin proc based off of curing their detriment first.
    A quick look at the SF (level 81+) AAs: consider Holy Protector and Atonement, five points each, so you can pick up True Faith as this is tank crack.

Finally! On to the Shadows Tree...
    The General Line... Hearty Constitution and Enhanced Mind for health/power boost. The others are up to you (mount-speed boost, Deity Pet stat boost, etc).
    The Priest Line, once you've spent 60 AAs elsewhere... Prayer of Healing increases your Meliorate healing line (taking it from a small heal, to a respectable-sized heal at later levels: at 90, I have had this heal crit for 6K or more). Protective Prayer and Secular Healing increase both of your group heals, definite pluses!
    The Cleric Line, once you've spent 120 AAs elsewhere... Devoted Allegiance is a boon for your Aegolism buff; pick it up for sure! Allied Prayers and Devoted Healing both benefit your group-reactive and single target-reactive heals, need I say more? Later on, come back and spend some points in Devout Incapacitation to further uber-ify your Rebuke debuff.
    A Note on Sacrifice -- don't worry about it until you get to later levels, IMHO (level 70+). It's incredibly useful for saving a tank in dire peril (or another group ally), but at the plausible cost of getting yourself killed while doing so. My advice? IF you're going to use Sanctuary, immediately then cast Restoration upon yourself to get your own health boosted back up out of the red...
    And finally, the Templar Line, after you pass the 170 AA mark... The Penance AA further increases the goodness of both of the Templar group buffs (5 points, if you please). Templar's Restoration will take your already powerful Restoration heal and make it "OMG, whoa!" level (at level 90, I see this heal routinely crit for over 10K, regularly hitting 12K or higher). Likewise, Restorative Healing makes the Word of Redemption heal much, much better. Consider this: in the time it takes you to cast a single-target heal, odds are good another group member might need a little bit of healing too. Instead of focusing on single-target healing your groupmates, use Word of Redemption to blanket the whole group (saving you time, and power, over the length of a fight) which will save your single target heals for when a group member drops substantially in health.
    You can choose to pick up both final stances, and swap between them as you like; but for healing, you'll want to make sure to grab Focused Prayers of course.

Final notes: once you hit later levels (70+), here are some other notes to keep in mind.....
    The Agility line on the Cleric Tree -- 4 points in Wondrous Buckling so that you can then lead on to Battle Fervor. The multi attack chance boost is nice, but once you have a nice Buckler shield, the block chance is even better! Especially when paired with Shield Ally. Max these two out (10 points each), as the Shield Ally buff will most definitely benefit your tank (your stats to help the tank block when their own block chance fails).
    Likewise, back on the Shadows Tree and on the Priest Line... Once you have a good buckler and Shield Ally, consider picking up Seal of Faith to further increase your chance to block (and thus, benefit Shield Ally, as I understand it).
    Lastly, the only AAs I haven't really touch on are those for reviving... Both of which are on the Priest Line of the Shadows Tree.... Ally Revivification and Supplication of the Fallen. With other classes (Necros, and certain Scouts, for example) having revive spells, I have chosen to forego the Ally Revivification since -- hopefully -- while you're in combat, you won't be needing to do many revive castings. However, if the group wipes, you can revive yourself and come back to the group and cast Supplication of the Fallen to revive everyone at full health and power.

Whew, okay, LOTS of text, I know! But I felt it more important to explain my thoughts and choices.
    Needless to say, if you have any further questions, let us know and we'll get you a response! =]

(editted for typos, and to explain skipping enhance: cure ii)
  5. ARCHIVED-Embret Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I'm a 90 Templar and found things I can use in there with clear explanations so I also know why I'm making a choice.
  6. ARCHIVED-MarkSam Guest

Just what is Blessings worth now?
    As a 90 Templar running DoV content, DoV gear with any kind of proc on it is extremely rare, and Blessings says it only works on equipped item procs. Even the new adornments are much less proc-centered than they were in Sentinel's Fate.
    I understand its a nice buff for a single point spent, but I'd still like to know just how relevant it is in DoV.
  7. ARCHIVED-Latpow Guest

Its one of the only unique buffs we have access to, its still well worth it.
  8. ARCHIVED-Zunnoab Guest

This looks very useful thank you. I will only play very casually and I'm only at level 47 but I was lost with the AA, especially since almost all of them looked offensive to me (which is a big no no for priests in EQ1 until all healing AA are done, but this isn't EQ1).