Tears of Ascension and Ascension gating new players.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kielex, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Kielex Well-Known Member

As everybody knows one of the most unique things about Kunark Ascending is the implication of ascension levels. It's a very cool and unique feature having mutual spells that any class can use. But unfortunately one of the things I think was miss-handled was how to gain the ascension levels. For a new player there is a minimal wait of approximately 3 months or longer if they don't skip any days and do all there weeklies to get from ascension level 1-10 on top of the amount of time they have to grind the advance solo/ solo / thalumbra / bbm content to use all of there gained ascension experience. There is an item from the city of nye merchant recently added called "Tears of ascension" Which grants you 7 million experience you grind away for a lowly cost of 100 sovereign of rile and 500k Status points. I was very happy to find out that this was added as it makes leveling up alts and gearing them 100x easier because there is less of a time investment. For those of you that didn't know this item was added It's probably because you don't have your ascension charm. The Pre-requirements for buying "Tears of the ascension" Is
    * You must have your Tome of the ascended which means leveling up all 4 ascensions.
    The reason this is problematic is because the expansion is almost over, So new players investing a minimal of 3 months into an expansion that is almost over is very problematic and probably one of the many things in this game putting a stop to the growing player base. I would love to see a change in how this "tears of the ascension" Item is gained so I can help my friends and guild mates get caught up to current content and show them how exciting and fun this Ever-quest 2 adventure can be. But I must say at this point It's almost impossible.
    [IMG]

As my plead to you daybreak Please take off the tome of the ascended being a requirement for this item.
    Help us help the player base - Love Kielex!
    (sorry for all the spelling errors by the way, I tried my hardest lol)
  2. Xephane Active Member

If anything ascension just shouldn't be a gated grind, if you have the coin it would be nice to be able to just buy it at this point. Most people in the game already have the item, helping the newer buds isn't a bad idea, but them realizing they have to do all this work after showing up near the end of the xpac... it's quite the surprise that's for sure. It's one thing to look at something and be like "Wow I have a short amount of time to do this... But I'll manage, I'll work my *** off!" rather than being "Wow, look at this thing that is stuck behind this massive grind, but I can only do this grind once a day for about an hour before I run out of saved experience and have to wait over and over again every day until after there is a new item added in the game that is better."
  3. Kielex Well-Known Member

I don't mind the grinding XP part, It's everquest leveling has been apart of the game since the very release. The only problem I have is the gating. It's honestly so terrible and annoying. If it was gained like actual levels without the implication of an item like guided ascension / Tears of ascension that would be so much better. But unfortunately It's not. and I'm understanding that you can still play the game without being ascension level 10. But this content is entirely focused on one thing, Getting your New epic 2.0. Let's be honest the dungeons are sub-par and alot of the heroic content is mediocre which is completely fine, They're still fun and they're still doable. But the real gem of this expansion is getting your sexy new epic 2.0 weapon which even then is about 90% pre-requirements and 10% actual content. I love this game and I would definitely love an opportunity to get my friends into this game.
  4. Rondo9 Active Member

These should be available to anyone and not just those that have finished all four ascensions on one character. Returning players at this point of the expansion should not be gated behind collected scrolls for months. As for alts its the grinding of XP that is the problem.

In my opinion there should be 2 items added to the game, the tears of ascension that is currently available but does not require the tome to purchase. The second is a similar item that can be purchased that gives you ascension XP so you don't need to grind XP on alts, this item should require the tome to be able to purchase it.
  5. Xephane Active Member

This was exactly my point, grinding experience is doable, it just takes a while... But being FORCED to WAIT to GAIN THE EXP is a whole new story.
  6. Earar Well-Known Member

we all did it and we survived.

new player coming now have much to do .. and I guess with the weeklies and stuff it can take less than 3 months now to level up a toon ...

then during the double asc xp (where asc xp was unlimited) most new players took advantage and just burned through it. In our guild we have a toon that has been created by a toon the 26 of april - we are the 25 of june .. so 2 months - who is already ascended, so ..it's way easier to do it now.
  7. Kielex Well-Known Member

Yes he was able to achieve it because of the ascension bug, Like tons of other players. Without usage of it, It's a minimal of 3 months. and that's just for one ascension.
  8. Kioske Well-Known Member

#FreeTheAscensionEXP for returning players. I've had a few friends try to come back and give up after about 3-4 weeks of waiting for the gated ascension EXP. Would be nice to just be able to grind it out and move on at this point. You got what you wanted out of the gate, you gated the whole population for the first 3 months to make sure we didn't get our epics too fast and smash through the content. Gating returning players is killing the "Returning" player base.

I know at least 3 people personally who are on the fence about coming back but keep putting it off because they don't want to grind gated exp.
  9. Kioske Well-Known Member

That was a bug, not working as intended. Not everyone got to just burn through exp that way, most people were still gated. Much like how the scrolls were bugged at the beginning of the expac and some people didn't get the exp to burn on some scrolls.
  10. Rondo9 Active Member

X2
  11. Ashandra Well-Known Member

I agree there needs to be less grind to get people up to speed gated ancesion is bad for the game as is needing to do several obsolete sig lines/ city faction ect no new players = dead game Pls do better then this.
  12. Kielex Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your feed back. It really does mean a lot, I want to see a change.
  13. dieliebeschlange New Member

Its tagged as Heirloom but yet I cant put it in shared bank to trade it to my alt, this needs to be fixed.
    I did petition for a trasfer to my other character but didnt receive any help at all :/
    I also agree that the requirement of having the Tome of the ascended needs to be removed, its hard enough for many players as it is right now.
    Kielex likes this.
  14. Rainmare Well-Known Member

And I think your just crying at this point. I did all 4 ascention levels, grinding out the adv and solo zones ONLY one time a day, for 2 characters. so suck it up. Quit trying to make everything so damn easy to do so you can do it in a couple days cause heaven forbid you put any effort outside of a couple hours a day in game and reading wiki.

I did it. my guild did it, and everyone who's gotten thier ascentions done did it. they made it easier for ALTS to level up, great. but I see no problem with making you at least put in the effort 1 time.
    Kristabella likes this.
  15. Xephane Active Member

Nobody is crying about having to put in effort. People are "crying" because it's literally locked behind a wall of time, and nothing else. You cannot earn something to make that time faster, you can't even buy it with DBC, you just wait. And this is awful for new/returning players. Things like this that hold BIS ITEMS make people not want to play, because there is nothing worse than having to spend time, and only time, to get something that's BIS
  16. Kielex Well-Known Member

I am a Progression Raider Rainmare I put several hours a day into my character, I already have my tome of the ascended. That being said I'm not only looking out for my well-being with this post I'm looking out for new players. I'm not saying make it face roll easy. Because either way you still have to grind 97 million experience with or without the scrolls. What I'm saying is a plea to stop the ascension gating. And if you want your tome of the ascended you're still going to have to grind nearly 400 mil ascension experience regardless.
    Xephane likes this.
  17. Xephane Active Member

Systems that make people "play for a long time and give us money to get something awesome, or just don't play" many will choose not to play. When I first came to this xpac I was expecting something completely amazing, my friend was playing it every day and I had to see what it was about, so I caved. Bought the xpac out and gave it a chance.

It was fun at first, but once I realized it was all about grinding and grinding old content to get really good new items/be able to progress I felt something was wrong. It did not make sense to me that when there seemed to be so much opportunity that everywhere along the line was either mindless grinding for hours, or doing old content, grey one shot stuff. And then you have ascension experience which is a gated system without a doubt. can't even START epic 2.0 until you have 5 of these levels, and the first run through takes a month to get to level 5. That's 15 dollars all these players had to spend IF they get their scroll every day, just to START the 2.0. It's completely unnecessary. They've been making it faster, but it still seems to slow for me, even with double scrolls to want to do more grinding to do a 2.0 on my assassin. I got one on my BL and conjy and at this current point in time, it feels like a waste.

I have 2 great toons that I don't even play anymore because I got sick of doing the same thing every day. Now I play on Stormhold, and I'm waiting for FG. Just because actually legitimately playing old content is more fun than doing the same 2 zones over and over again, PGs, or grey quests.
  18. Xephane Active Member

If you look at the state of the raid scene too... Progression always freezes for the top guilds, until something is either changed, or new items are added. It's been said that "raids aren't gated" but those last 2 mobs in this xpac aren't still alive because these raid guilds "suck". It's just been that way the whole xpac. They were stuck before 2.0, they were stuck before eth rune, now they are stuck before summer ethereals or whatever comes next.
  19. Kielex Well-Known Member

Yeah but to be fair every games raiding scene freezes. There are so many different makeups for a raid force. There are bound to be bugs with certain setups / strategies. These bugs are adjusted after feedback. Even world of warcraft with as big of a team blizzard has, has its fair share of bugs and glitches
  20. Uxtalzon Active Member

This is why I didn't buy KA. It's not just "a" grind, it's multiple grinds, extraordinarily long ones at that (at least that's how it feels to me). Adding a timed lock pretty much is what PG solo is, but I have to do it much longer and who knows how useful it'll all be come the next expansion.

I'm not even looking for easy-street, fast-track, catch-me-up quickly routes, all I want to know is if my efforts (or any other player's) won't be completely in vain next expansion, and/or there's yet another stupid long grind added alongside everything else.

The icing of this turd cake is next to zero communication about it all. I've never seen a game company try so hard to prevent new or returning players, and yet try so little to retain the ones still playing. Really sad.

A little effort of reassurance can go a long way, Holly.