Tea Room and Grotto

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Geden, May 13, 2013.

1. Geden Well-Known Member

These are the projects I worked on back in 2010 and 2011. The first project kind of happened by itself when a friend asked me to make him a lovely living room...and it ended up expanding into 3 rooms and a Tea House.
    [IMG]
    At that time I became fascinated with Kanji and this is the first project featuring the writing. I don't recall what it means exactly but I think it was saying a variation of "zen".
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I was attempting to create the most traditional Tea Room, and ended up adding more Norrathian flare here and there.

[IMG]
    The idea of Kimono on the wall visited me one night at sushi restaurant. I was glad we have multi-colored squares!
    [IMG]
    The porch became a sake-bar and a place for scenic view
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    Koi pond for your entertainment and admiration
    [IMG]
    Thank you for looking!
    [IMG]

This house is currently not open to visitors per owner, but I think it is ok to post pictures :)

The next place was done for my former guild Dark Legion. I was allowed to decorate the grotto and let my imagination run free. What came out is... well, you will see :)
    Oh my I seem to have misplaced my screenshots... As soon as I will find them I will post. For now, I believe you may visit Antonia Bayle server Commonlands guild hall under Dark Legion.
    Thank you for looking!
  2. Alanducar Active Member

Very Nice Geden :) this is truly good work you did here. I would love to find a way to make something similar in Kanji but considering i don't want to mess up anything i possibly put up than i might stick with just what i know for now lol. The tea house idea is fantastic i am hoping to put something together that is similar aside from the house itself. Your always more than welcome to look at what i have done so far. I am on the Everfrost server, just look for my name since i am usually on this toon ALOT. :) Again nice work and i look forward to seeing more!
  3. Afista Well-Known Member

I loved this place :D Your creations of the kanji artwork and the kimonos was really amazing!
  4. Tasharia Member

Love the work. What did you use for the floor in the first pic?
  5. Alanducar Active Member

I think the floor in the first pic was just a generic usage of a Qeynos floor design Tash. I also know that the floors he used for the other areas look suspiciously akin to the Rosewood tables sunk down to make that great looking design. Might have to steal that for future projects because it looks really nice when placed into the floor like that :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Geden Well-Known Member

Steal away my friend, and I am happy to inspire:)
    Afista - Thank you for compliment, good to know those are still unique.
    Tasharia - the floor in first room is one of the housing floors to choose from (for a fee, I recall) in Qeynos 6br prestige home. The floor in the second room is indeed a rosewood table used as tatami.
  7. Alanducar Active Member

Wow i think i might use the rosewood table sometime in the future as tatami mats. Those looked really good in your home so i think i might just do something similar since i plan on making more Asian inspired homes in the future. I just find that i enjoy the challenge of doing something more unique than the general style of homes i have worked on in the past. I hope you have more work to show off Geden its quite well done :)
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, does that mean you won't reveal how you did the Kanji? I've seen that before (probably in houses of yours! screenshots, anyway) and it always drove me nuts (nuttier?) trying to figure out how you made those. :-/

The kimonos, I think I can figure out, but they are very nice, as always. :)

Uwk
  9. Alanducar Active Member

Honestly the Kanji lettering appears to be done with the sides of books as i have seen before but i could be wrong. That's just what it appears to be. I have seen similar black lettering from other houses that have claimed to use the side of a book to create the written text. Could be something else but that's my take on it.
  10. Geden Well-Known Member

Sorry hehe, it was late night for me and I forgot to describe features in detail :) The kanji are indeed backs of books, Trials of Sir Morgan. I used my alt with Qeynos mage tower faction and she had already completed the quest (very easy and fun). The trick with making brush-stroke look is using back of Oil Painting of the Knight because it is perfectly rough and creates all the little notches and uneven edges along the book. I experiment with every stroke utilizing Jesdyr's Layout Edtior, but beware that this is a very time-consuming method and could cause mouse-hand problems :).
    Kimono's are colored city festival tiles and flowers/other tile inlays, also done with Layout Editor.
  11. Alanducar Active Member

Yeah i figured the Kimono's were done with tiles and flowers and such, that was such a cool idea though. I might try to do something similar in the future :). Fact is, Kimono's are a very integral part of Asian culture and i wish there were items in game that fit that style since it would be nice to have some mannequin that could be dressed in that way. Well, who knows they might add something like that in the future. I just kinda wish we could see more Asian inspired recipes in game, better yet another continent inspired by Asian culture would be even better. We only currently have the Isle of Mara and i can't see that being the ONLY Asian themed portion of the Everquest franchise so perhaps we could see something in the future?