Tanking X4 KoS Instances

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Tokyo-Shin, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Back after like 5 years away and starting on Kaladim to relive some old memories. I used to be a Guardian tank for a very hardcore guild for around 3 years. Worldwide firsts on most Avatars and many instances. Are Guardians still the best tank since for current TLE now that todays TLE isnt necessarily same game as it was many years ago when KoS and EoF were released? Like there was no marketplace to buy stuff and limited items.... Assume the same person plays each fighter class and all have same gear type and optimal tank group, and for all X4 content in KoS and EoF. Can Monk really be a consistent and effective MT for all X4 KoS and EoF X4 content or are there just certain encounters they do good at... same question for Zerks, knights and Bruiser.

Let me know as the answers will help me decide which class. Thank you!
  2. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

From what I've seen SK is best tank all-around. Guard has best defensive saves, but the mobs don't hit that hard and guards have pitiful dps and can't solo much (on TLE). Monk is just a pain to tank with, because you have to hit the mobs for a chance to proc threat, which is not that great for picking up adds or holding multiple encounters.

Guards have the edge to MT progression mobs that hit hard... but if you want to be more versatile that can get a raid spot as MT or OT and also want to be able to solo heroics, you can roll something else and not miss out on much.
  3. Testa23 New Member

What guild did you mt for?
  4. Lexxah Member

Maybe for Heroic content, SKs get trounced in KoS raids and are situational add magnets at best.
  5. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Yes, this is specifically about raids of X4... so what are best tanks in order?
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

Guardian with Monk Avoidance
  7. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Ne Plus Ultra - NPU - Untl around late 2011 - dabbled in the game a few years later but couldn't get back into how softcore it had become. By soft-core I mean how every class seemed to now do what other classes could do previously... just seemed to have got lazy.
  8. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Putting a Monk in MT group?
  9. Zenji Well-Known Member

The avoidance buff Tranquil Vision is cross group.
  10. Tokyo-Shin New Member

got it, thank you! Paladin or Zerker any good at MT? Close to Guardian or Guard is way in front of all?
  11. Lexxah Member

MT should be a Guardian. OT can be a Monk, Zerker or SK, Ideally an SK that can swap as needed, but the talent pool on Kaladim is pretty shallow, so good luck with that.
  12. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Amazing post... you win the internet today
  13. Testa23 New Member

What's a amazing post is the mt of npu not knowing how monk avoidance works or what a good raid tank in Kos or eof is.....
    Lexxah and dirgenoobforreal like this.
  14. Halo-NA New Member

15. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Naw, not really. It was the first and only class I have ever played so never got to know what all the other classes did. I was good at my job as that was ALL I ever did for 3 solid years. Never played a single level of another class. Dare I say I was one of the best MT's ever? Many people have told me I was at that time. Don't have that passion for playing like that any more though. Anyway, moving on. Thanks for the answers.
  16. Testa23 New Member

Lol you can't be the best at a class if you don't understand other classes well enough to know how they interact with each other in a raid. Enjoy your days on kaladim. It's a good time for people like yourself, you know the washed up making claims that arnt true type.
    Xiao, Snikkety and Lexxah like this.
  17. Lexxah Member

Sounds like you'll fit right in, tbh
    Xiao and Snikkety like this.
  18. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Alright let me break this down.

Guardian's are OP as **** right now because guardian sphere was changed from its state back in DoV (after its other change from it's initial 1 trigger stoneskin version of the buff.). It now basically is a 25% chance to give a stoneskin, and a 50% chance. Instead of it's previous 25% for the tank, and 50% for the group. So you basically have percussion (14%), unyielding(10%), and sphere(25% roll, and 50% roll) for those 30 seconds averaging out to around a 90% avoidance report. Tower of Stone now gives a 1 second 100% dodge on each stoneskin trigger so multi-attack's don't eat the entire thing like what was happening back in OG DoV. They also have dragoon's, and of course can battle cry and get mob agro incredibly easy. Other than that the class is relatively the same.

Monk's at the moment have Tsunami which is still bonkers strong, and their tank avoid is the highest in game % wise until bruiser's get the EoF AA. However due to poor design, popping Tsunami for those 20 seconds and having the tank avoid up allows a monk to give a guardian a 100% avoid 54% of the time, and strikethrough immunity for that duration because the monk is avoiding for the guardian.

Which brings me to my next explanation, a lot of temps now give strikethrough immunity because around 2013 the devs figured out that people hitting 100% avoids then having a mob strikethrough them was ********. Guardians also have that shadow's endline Defensive Mind which gives them the reuse and the strikethrough avoidance which makes them basically the best TLE tank all the way up.

Strikethrough isn't on mobs at the moment, so uncontested block on an avoidance report is pretty 1:1 at the moment. However protection on shields is on a terrible curve for TLE's so you're looking at around 20% uncontested block. Block chance is also kinda rare in itemization, meaning that brawlers have the most uncontested block (Minimum Deflection is still high on defensive stances). Which is why brawler is the offtank of choice, plus mantis star gives a huge strength debuff, and gives a 3.3% final multiplier to all damage incoming to a mob. Plus the aforementioned Tsunami + monk avoid.

Zerker's pretty much become to go to offtank once you hit around TSO because eveything gets a **** ton of strikethrough making that super cool monk avoid basically worthless. Zerkers have dragoons, and visions which is cool, but don't have a dedicated stoneskin to absorb stuff like MO deathtouch and aoes like cloud like guardians have until gut roar in EoF but that's only physical. Plus they're avoidance is **** compared to monks. Zerkers are basically closet tanks until you get to RoK when you can get adrenaline and be really cool. If you only really do instanced content and not any contested stuff you can get by with a zerker main tank tho.

Mobs also don't have a lot of weapon skills so brawlers can actually avoid for you outside of uncontested avoidance.

Templars can get a 1k protection shield at the moment which allows holy shield to be bonkers as well, since no strikethrough, you can get like 10% uncontested avoidance and holy shield is reporting like 6-8% avoidance report numbers assuming you can find a templar who understands they must face you, and stand within 15meters; and equip said shield instead of having reactives hit for like 70 more with a small potency increase.

Shadowknights are decent at the moment, they don't have visions or divine favor like paladins so they're kinda this offensive based tank that only really fits into mage groups at the moment, but they're worth running for sure.

Bruiser's are a fun class if you want cheap masters and a groan when you enter a group.
    Xanndarr and Tokyo-Shin like this.
  19. Tokyo-Shin New Member

Absolutely Amazing post... Thank you so much for laying it all out. I can see the 5-1 ratio is still relevant on forums, guess that will never change. With every question, you get 5 people that detract from it, flaming, calling people out and never answering and then you get 1 real good answer... You are that 1! Thank you sir! It was worth the wait.
    Virgil likes this.
  20. Lexxah Member

And they say our guild is toxic... we're the most wholesome people on Kaladim :)
    Zenji likes this.