Tanking with Mage Pet?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Popgun, Dec 15, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Popgun Guest

Howdy, I am fairly new to my necro ( lvl 48 ), I have read often that the population says that it is more effective to use the mage pet for tanking. Is this true? If so, how should do my AA set up? Obviously have tainted heals, but what else? I must mention I have looked but I haven't look insanely hard, as I am at work. I would like to get this solved so I can respec when I get home after work.

Can anyone link me to a build or at least give me some guidance? It would really appreciated.
    Thanks alot, in advance.
  2. ARCHIVED-Rhadamanthys Guest

The mage pet does more damage and so it is easier for it to hold aggro. However, it won't be able to take hits from harder mobs like ^^^ named monsters. So in most cases, you can just use the mage pet to tank. As for AA, put them into the mage line of the summoner AA in order to allow the pet to do more damage. But you also need to put at least 8 points into Perceptor's Command down the stamina line in order to use any of your pets (in this case, the mage pet) to taunt mobs off of you. Overall, use the AA to beef up your pet so it can do more damage and hold aggro better.
  3. ARCHIVED-Triab Guest

Most of the time you're probably hearing about those doing over the threshold for dps. Tank pet can't tank once you cross that mark so useless at that point for the most part. If you get to that point, the mage pet isn't going to taunt it off you either..So keep him in offensive while you tank.

At your level, you should probably try mage pet while solo but most likely you're still going to need the tank pet. Mage pet always in groups/raids.

For AA, look at the AA builds posted http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=414795 and at http://www.eq2flames.com/necromancers/, they will give you a good idea what to go for and when. Some may be slightly outdated(haven't looked in a while) but will still give you a base to build on.

Also one of the worst mistakes most Necros make and why they suck is bad spell rotations, ACT is a very useful tool to fix that, as well as asking other Necros about how they do it. Each will differ slightly but overall similar.
    If you need more help, feel free to message me on AB server (Triab).
  4. ARCHIVED-RancidM Guest

my necro is currently lvl 36 or so.
    Nearly all my time i am paired with a Dirge and my pet is the main tank for the two of us.
    Orignaly i put my AA's into the tank pet line and used the tank pet for everything.
    However like yourself ive read and been told to use the mage pet instead.
    So i did a respect got the tainted heals (Necro Tree) and now im working down the INT line for Mage pet buffs.
    The mage pet (in defensive stance) is not super squishy at all...it can take a few good beats.
    Using the tainted heals for 18% heal per stifle/debuff i can heal as fast as he takes damage.
    There is a point when the hits do get a little too much for the mage pet and the damage he takes cannot be healed fast enough, at this point you need to bring out the Tank pet.
    You might then think that if you need to bring the tank pet out in the end why not just bring him out at the start and be done with it ?
    Well the reason is the Mage pet kills mobs soo soo soo much faster than the tank pet.
    For example we did a run through varsoons last night and mobs where green/blue maybe even white.
    Mage was used for all mobs and books and weavemaster and any other mob.
    It was only at the end in varsoons chamber that i had to bring out the Tank pet for the ring event.

I tell my Mage pet that im just chaning his clothes...... not replacing him compleatly.
  5. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

I'm level 60 - almost 61. With like 64 or 65 AAs. I betrayed kinda early on (around 30'ish) to Conjuror, and I never seen a use for the Tank pet. The only time I had to use a pet stoneskin was on hard named and heroic mobs. In groups I used the mage pet. My Mage pet was Expert and my tank pet was Master. The tank sucked.
    The only issue I noticed was that if you killed fast, the mage pet ran out of mana rather quickly if you were pulling fast. Like, running solo instances... It's either wait for the mage to regen, or kill slow as hell with the tank. I reckon the Necro pets are similar (I've never used the Scout pet as necro or conjy).
    What I do want to know is what's best for questing... Tank or Mage. Just general questing outdoors...
    BTW, I just finished betraying back to Necro 2 minutes before the servers went down :p
  6. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

Mage pet best for questing. Only time you need the tank is for Heroic triple up mobs.
    My mage pet at my level (63) can tank 4-6 MOBs 1-2 levels above me with no issue, in offensive stance.
    I think the amount of lifetaps it has compared to the Conjuror mage pet makes it a lot more sturdy, and it still does incredible damage.