Tanking and dps - Paladin or Berserker?

Discussion in 'General Fighter Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Scyrak, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Scyrak Guest

Hey everyone :)
    i had a loooong break and just came back to eq2 again. As the topic says...
    Who do you think is the better tank and which one of this two classes can put out more dps on singletargets/AE-fights?
    I think the guardian is the best tank and shadowknight might be the most dps'ing plate-wearing-class... but i don't like to play a guardian neither a shadowknight. i can't make a decision between Paladin and Berserker... maybe you can help me find out which class suits better for me :)
    thanks a lot
  2. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

Both paladins and zerkers are great at the moment, and both are quite capable both at single target and AE tanking. Either is a very solid choice.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

4. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

The amount of survivability and utility on the paladin while still pumping out the dps, sorta makes it the defacto choice between the two options.
  5. ARCHIVED-Obadiah Guest

If you look at the Rathgar parses (which granted should not be treated as the be-all, end-all comparison between the 6 classes) DPS comes out like this on average:
    SK: 26.7K
    Paladin: 24.5K
    Zerk: 17.9K
    Guard: 17.5K (I threw out the one with 600 because that's clearly someone out of range or not attacking )
    Monk: 25.5K
    Bruiser: 14.5K
    In a nutshell though .... ^^what Atan said.
  6. ARCHIVED-Jeal117 Guest

do not go by the rathgar parses ... tanks die on that fight and thus tanks dps will be fluctual
    also there were like 15 sks so taking their average and the average of 3 pallies and 5 zerks is kinda.. *shrugs
    both classes are very viable and i think zerk is a little easier to dps with though.
  7. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Rathgar is a really bad fight for comparing fighter parses considering the death touch. Not that I have an easier/better way to get relevant numbers, but just sayin'
    I hope they ask for parses on a different mob soon, since I think it has actually been healthy for the community to have some concrete numbers to look at. Of course everyone will see those numbers through their own biases, but it's nice to have that type of info easily accessible to everyone.
    With that said, it's tough finding a good mob to parse on. I'd be curious to see 3-rune parses with both types of adds, but I guess few guilds kill it that way, and the very top end is probably hoping for 4-rune kills rather than worrying about 3-rune...nevermind the range issues and such.
    EDIT: Blast, Jeal beat me.
  8. ARCHIVED-Obadiah Guest

Jeal@Unrest wrote:
    More like 11 Paladins and 8 Zerks, but the point still stands. Understood that fighter parses will be a bit lower than usual, but it's still an indicator of where each one stacks up compared to the other. (Well, for the plate tanks ... only 2 of each Brawler type in the sample data so...) The ratio of one compared to the other on single targets is the same as found elsewhere though.
    The OP asked which would put out more DPS in single target and AE situations. They should be fairly comparable on AE fights, but less so on ST.
  9. ARCHIVED-yzyh Guest

Zerker will dish out the most DPS but paladin now have a pretty good AoE DPS too. So far many raiding guild start to consider paladin beeing a little bether at Mtanking but zerker are still seen as one of the best tanks for both main and off tanking.
    All in all do you prefer to go sword and board and cast heals on yourself ?
    Or do you prefer to do mostly DW and 2hander while using dps move casting heals and ward on you ?

Both are real great tank.
  10. ARCHIVED-Shredderr Guest

Zerkers are beast tanks the way a tank should be , and the way they were promised to be . Pally is what an OP class should look like . Course op usually = eventuall nerf stick .
  11. ARCHIVED-Valphine Guest

Kurgan@Everfrost wrote:
    Would like to see that today after the dualwield change, zerks are monsters when they use 2 weaps. From I (Pally) always/most of the times out beat our zerk till now I got owned alot.
  12. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

Annoyingly due to broken content (none scaling core abilities i.e. heals where zerkers actually heal MORE than paladins.. the healing tank) here is the breakdown
    Defence
    Zerkers > Paladins
    (If you think its otherwise look again at adrenaline)
    Agro
    Similar, maybe a touch towards pallys in full defensive gear - but in truth very little between the two classes given how transfers/hate gain is capped out easily
    DPS
    Pallys edge slightly higher in single content esp if spell reflects are involved but zerkers pwn pallys AoE damage into the ground. Overall on a ZW zerkers tend to do more.
    As far as the main one: tanking and survibility goes BEFORE Adrenaline is counted into it it is about equal with the "oh crap" buttons and on average paladins take slightly less damage than zerkers due to a an additional 5% damage reduction and potency for groups (healers)
    Once adrenadline is included zerkers pull WAY ahead of pallys; as with both this is extremly subjective to both skill and gear.
  13. ARCHIVED-RazeltheRogue Guest

I moved from playing a zerker to a paladin recently.
    Paladin has better buffs and some utility that i enjoy more cure spells and the occasional rez. As far as for me Paladin has been much higher dps single target and respecable AE dps. Currently paladin has 4 or 5 spells that are almost useless, i mean of course the heals. LoH will help a small bit of spike damage 10k+ after master, but with gear you will have 30k+ hp in raid and some groups. LoH every 3 to 5mins depending on reuse you currently have. Most of the best tools a paladin gets are from AA and they share a couple of those with SKs. Aura of leadership, Fearless morale, and Legionare's conviction to name a couple. Paladins do get a zero power cost AE, Smite evil. Cure spells, as mentioned previously, can be used for great utility. I tend to run with a defiler and fury we 3man most old raid zones, so I use cure spells often on fights like the group in PR where fury gets mezd/charmd and defiler is mez/charmd this helps.
    Zerker is DPS/hate generation with mythical buff you can actually use intercept as another taunt when something is hitting a group member. Adrenaline can be kept up pretty regular with a decent amount of regen. For a zerker do solid dps, you will want to be DW all the time. Thus, you will spam adrenaline every chance you get. More positional change typed taunts on zerker, and zerker take spike dmg a bit better since the heal crit nerfs. Frenzy is much more potent way of cutting down spike dmg then anything a paladin has atm. WIth Offhand AE hits zerkers are kings of AE while duelwielding, this after mythical buff.
    Both classes require AA investments to shine.
    I carry clariy pots, manastone, and any other power regen items i can get my hands on with both toons.
    Do not believe the paladin = easymode crap. zerkers sometimes seem to have a more active approach to holding agro, but thats really related to the zerkers more dps focused style of holding agro.
    Play both a bit and see which you enjoy more. Either class will get the job done, but both classes will bring a different flavor and style about it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

This thread was made 2 and a half months ago. I'm not sure, but I think the OP has probably picked a class or even quit EQ2 again by now...
  15. ARCHIVED-Phelon_Skellhound Guest

Rahatmattata wrote:
    Holy Necro bump.... I had to LOL here... agreed hehe