Tank Threat Not Scaling With Fervor

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Ezoo, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ezoo Member

Several have noticed that tank threat does not seem to be scaling well against the higher DPS.

At least one reason why is fervor.
    Fervor is boosting dps BUT does not seem to be getting calculated into a tanks taunts and threat components.

I tested this with a training dummy using reprimand for example and found no difference in ACT with the threat generated using gear with no fervor vs equipping fervor gear.

This means that due to fervor a tanks taunts are actually getting worse in relationship to the dps classes.
    Probably an easy fix in a calculation somewhere. Apologies if it has already been investigated.
    Daalilama likes this.
  2. Nero Active Member

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQII-882

This has been added and "resolved" in the official issue tracker, however, i personally do not believe that we got the correct response, in part based on a somewhat confusing write up by the person submitting the request.

To be perfectly clear: most if not all tank taunts have two separate components to them: Threat component and a damage component (damage component is often added as a result of specific AA choices)

The threat component of taunts IS NOT being modified by fervor.

The damage component of taunts IS BEING modified by fervor.

Just to reiterate since i have a feeling people get this mixed up all the time. Hate= (Threat+DPS)*Hate mod modifier. We are not asking for hate to be modified by fervor, just the threat component of taunts.
  3. Nero Active Member

This was the Mod reply to the issue, and I have a feeling that he maybe misunderstood the question being asked:

[IMG]Luciar Moderator added a comment - 17 Feb 2017 8:11 PM - edited
    Fervor increases final outgoing damage or heals after all other calculations have occurred. Direct threat generation values from abilities are not affected by fervor by definition.
    Damage output, and therefore hate generation, will increase as a result of fervor.
    Suspected Not a Bug.

I understand what he is saying, and yes, by definition, that is technically correct, but our whole point is that we think the definition is wrong, and I would really love it if one of the devs could please take a look to see if it would be possible to have direct threat abilities to be included in the list of items that are modified by fervor. I mean seriously, everything else is.
    Justaplayer likes this.
  4. Malleria Well-Known Member

No, that definition is not correct. The literal in-game wording of Fervor is "Your abilities will increase by XX.X% after all other modifiers have been applied". Not "Your damage abilities", not "Your healing abilities", but flat out "Your abilities". There is no reason it shouldn't affect threat values as well.

And frankly a non-staffer mod having that kind of power is exactly why the issue tracker is a terrible site. No issue should be able to be marked as resolved because one moron volunteer doesn't agree with it.
    Meneltel and Zeddicious like this.
  5. Nero Active Member

Even better, but I probably wouldn't go around bashing the few support/volunteer people they have left, even if we dont necessarily agree with their conclusion on the issue. That is precisely why i posted it here so that other people and Devs would have a chance to see and maybe comment. Also the person that created the original bug tracker issue made a topic here:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/tank-threat-not-scaling-with-fervor.577161/
  6. Ezoo Member

Great way to discourage tanks - put their taunts on a gradual decline.

Fervor certainly SHOULD affect threat, otherwise you create a mechanic that
    will not scale and a tanks taunts will become increasingly out of balance.
  7. Tooloose Active Member

I think it's like this to force us into making groups where it's the tank, an assassin, a dirge, and a coercer modifying the tank for better agro gain. Then again... I have low fervor and I can hold my own without receiving hate from any classes spells or item other than my own.

I spec into my AA tree as a hybrid. Decent damage with threat temps or procs with high percentage defense stats and augmented defensive perks. Plus, with Angry Golden Locust, which I rarely ever use... I'm even more well off.
  8. Zelox Active Member

This should have never been missed in the implementation of fervor, lol eq2.. like when implementing new mechanics scalability is top priority just make a list of all the different things you can do and make a checklist to make sure everything gets implemented correctly if you need to.
  9. Fletch Active Member

There are many more classes that help with hate. Just as groups are generally created with a tank and priest, threat generation should be a consideration.
  10. Ezoo Member

The point is not whether you can help tanks with bufs from other classes; you can.
    It is a problem where as fervor goes up the tanks taunts and threat components are
    getting progressively worse relative to dps.
    Daalilama likes this.
  11. Nero Active Member

This is pretty much like me saying "Fervor shouldn't apply to half of your DPS abilities, and you just need to bring in more utility to make up for it."

Exactly, and with fervor being included on each and every epic 2.0 now, along with HB, group buffs, eth runes and other crap, the effects are already being felt. What happens next xpac when everyone is running around with 150 fervor that is maintained and spike to 250-300? As it is in raid im maintaining around 95-100 fervor constantly and spike at around 270.
    duckster likes this.
  12. Fletch Active Member

I never implied anything about fervor, I was just pointing out that it is an exaggeration to say that you need three specific classes to hold aggro. If you want my opinion on fervor affecting taunt amounts, I think it is unnecessary. If the devs don't apply fervor to taunts then deal with it. Lets not forget that fervor started as a stat called final ability damage and was later changed to include heals so comparing it to damage abilities is a little erroneous. If they increase the cap on fervor taunts will be left behind but in the current state the mechanics work. Having fervor apply to taunts may cause tank aggro to go back to something that we don't have to put any effort into, a state the devs apparently took steps to change. If it was the intention of the devs to require groups to put a few moments thought into group set up then so be it.
  13. Nero Active Member

If it only took a few moments, then we might not even be having this conversation.

On the contrary, it often takes 30 mins+ to get a group together without any regard for class, i would hate to see what it would take if we were forced to look for 2 or 3 specific classes to fill that last spot.
  14. Fletch Active Member

When I'm not on my main and I'm building a group I look for one of 9 classes to help with aggro, if you think it is 2 or 3 classes then I understand your real problem.
  15. Nero Active Member

I heard there were 56 classes that could help with aggro?

16. Zezar New Member

I think aggro seems fine ...
    Haven´t raided for a few years tho, so don´t know if it´s a big difference.
    Anyway, holding aggro from people doing a few billion dps in heroic are ok, if the dps class play it right ..
  17. Earar Well-Known Member

haha as if
    Meneltel likes this.
  18. Zezar New Member

Im serious though, haven't had any problems so far....
    Moorefallen likes this.
  19. Ogdinmar Active Member

Over all I don't have too much issue with hate either. However, there is a rather large spike in the dps and if it continues as such there will have to another large adjustment like they did in ToV. I don't really think fervor is the true answer though. it would be nice to a point. but hate mod cap increase would be the best route because it offers scaling results to the character over time and would cause less of an "over powered" taunt situation in the future, imo.
  20. Malleria Well-Known Member

Increasing the hate mod cap just means more reforging requirements on the archetype that has the hardest time finding stats to reforge. Not a good idea, not until tank gear is given realistic stat bonus'.
    Ansom likes this.