Tank pet or mage pet or even scout pet?

Discussion in 'Conjuror' started by ARCHIVED-select20, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-select20 Guest

Just seeing what some vets are saying about conj leveling. I know tank pet is most survivability, and scout/mage give more dps, but with the game being easier than it was a few years ago, would it be smarter/faster to lvl using a dps build along with the mage or scout?
    Just asking.
  2. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

select20 wrote:
    First ... What level content are you talking about? Are you talking about a level 1 or a level 90 and if you mean lv 90 do you mean pre-DOV or in DOV? It really makes a difference.

In general I would outline it like this.
    1 thru x use the Tank Pet, X is where your spells and gear and mage pet spell level AND rank start to make a difference.
    x thru 90 (pre-DOV) use the Mage pet .. they do way more damage as long as they can take the hits.
    90 DOV (Pre-Gearup) use the Tank pet until you get yourself geared up through the started quests and replace everything you can.
    90 DOV (Post-Gearup) use the mage pet as they can now deal with the more challenging mobs in DOV.

SOE said they would make the Scout pet worth casting and thats Ed Mcmahon at your front door ringing the bell!
  3. ARCHIVED-select20 Guest

Nrgy wrote:
    Sorry, I would be starting fresh. My conj is lvl14 atm. Other than adepts and expert spells, I doubt I'll be getting any MC gear. Not established in the game financially yet.
  4. ARCHIVED-Factionz Guest

I'm interested in what level x is..
    40? 50? 70?
  5. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Factionz wrote:
    Level X will be different for each person determined by their comfort level = Class skill * knowledge (mechanics / class) * Spell Rank * gear * available coin * mob level
    The idea of the Mage pet is DPS not Defense ... so if you use the mage pet over the tank pet then you have to burn down mobs. Burning down mobs is a product of spell rotation, spell rank, mob level, etc...
    If you can kill green mobs fast use the mage pet if you can't kill white mobs fast se the tank pet.
    iirc, I use the Tank pet until I got a Expert Mage pet in my 50's .. but if you get a Master in your 30's then you'll most likely do fine. I the very least get a Sage made Expert pet spell upgrade and give it a try. Your pet will be stronger against level driven content if you have an expert level spell when you first get the next spell upgrade rather then the last level before you get a new upgrade. Sometimes you can use a lower rank pet if they are Expert or Master ranks rather then a new one which is adept, but they stop scaling after you outlevel the previous spell rank by too much.
    It is more the spell rank of the pet and of your DD's that will determine your kill speed.
  6. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

In general terms, until you get Winds of Velious, you probably can't use your Mage as your primary pet. Once you do have WoV, you can much more effectively kite, and thus the Mage pet becomes a much stronger option.
  7. ARCHIVED-select20 Guest

Awesome, thanks for the replies.
  8. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

Banditman wrote:
    Did the changes in the newer expansion help low level conjurors in regards to the pets doing more damage and stuff. I'm not gonna get it right now because my Conji is only level 48 and I'm trying to seriously get back in the game and give it a more honest try. I read they implemented pet scaling from our stats so I decided to buy a game card and reinstall the game (patching... ftw?!) and get in it again (hopefully can make some frieinds this time around... not fun playing alone all the time) and see if that improves killspeed, etc.
    Rambling..
    I just wanted to know if that benefitted low level conjurors much, if any.
    Also, what is a good rotation?
    What level is Winds of Velious?
  9. ARCHIVED-select20 Guest

lvl50 if i'm not mistaken is when you get winds of velious.
    * Level 55, as posted below.
  10. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Winds of Velious is our DoT / Snare. Unless it changed at some point, the first version is available at L55. Used in conjunction with Summon Servant, you can generally kill mobs much faster with this spell and your Mage pet than you can having your Fighter pet straight up tank them. Obviously, a little more risk involved.
    The only person who knows if shared stats had any benefit to lower level Conjurors is a lower level Conjuror, of which you'll find few on the forums.
  11. ARCHIVED-Trensharo Guest

Yes, it's level 55. I got it. I'm up to level 58 now. I don't use the tank pet unless PUG groups need a tank, with a healer and me patch healing (when needed) it tanks fine - for being a pet, at these levels, at least. It's a Master pet, though. I have Expert Mage pet and use that for soloing. Don't even snare encounters. Just AoE them down. I use Winds on named MOBs though. It's very nice :p
    Don't really see a use for the Rogue pet at the moment, or the tank pet beyond that. That mage pet is beastly... I just noticed it running out of mana often when I did a solo dungeon earlier... Maybe things will change at a higher level.
    I went 4-4-10 Crit for me and 4-4-10 down the INT line, down to the buff in Evocations and now I'm workign on the getting Stoneskin.
    Prolly should have stopped at a lower level to farm AAs, but doing that would probably burn me out. I'll prolly stop soon and go clear out some lower level zones (extra quests I didn't do) to get a few extras, though :p
    I have a question. On the general tree there's a skill to improve the casting speed of your Deity pet... Does that affect the mage pet?
  12. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

No. The only way to improve your pet casting speed, aside from improving your overall casting speed, is the one ability in the Conjuror tree.
    One quick note about Winds of Velious and the Evocations tree. When you are leveling, you definitely do NOT want to take the upgrade to Winds of Velious. Reducing the duration of your snare is counterproductive to kiting. On the other hand, at level cap, you probably DO want to take the reduction when you are no longer kiting but instead being asked to perform DPS in groups and raids.
  13. ARCHIVED-Yure Guest

Don't over look the Scout pet. In the lower levels 30+ it has a nice mix of defence and agro.
  14. ARCHIVED-Lamprey_02 Guest

I used the tank pet pretty exclusively from 1 through 90, pre-DoV. Now at 90, when soloing, I use the mage pet pretty exclusively :) He can handle anything up to and including most soloable named in DOV. I use the tank when doing solo runs through older dungeons, like Chardok/Seb/Guk etc.
    It worked, was relatively safe and quick.
    That said, I recently started a necro alt and the mage pet at lvl 20 seems to handle all solo content VERY easily. Doesn't get hurt much and kills quickly. He's a master, but at lower levels getting a free master via research is fast. So if I were to do it over, I'd probably have used the mage a lot more, only switching to the tank for nameds or heroics.
    I'd say, get the mage master and give it a shot. You will know inside of 5 kills whether you want to use it to solo or not, would probably take you less time than it does to read through this thread :)
  15. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Lamprey_02 wrote:
    ^^ This +1
  16. ARCHIVED-schizmark Guest

Lamprey_02 wrote:
    Another +1 on this. Mage pet is a MONSTER in DOV; just remember to know how to summon him when he tries to pull big groups away from hitting you, or he'll get out of healing range.