T10 Harvesting bugged

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Prrasha, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Prrasha Guest

Osmium Clusters and Black Star Sapphires come from the same harvest node. I have picked up 20 sapphires and only 2 osmium.

Either:
    1) the drop rate has a misplaced decimal, or
    2) the "Rare Harvest Chance" boost you can get from Tradeskill AA (1%) or the "Potion of Bountiful Harvests" (2%) is only granting Sapphires and not Osmium.
  2. ARCHIVED-wullailhuit Guest

Prrasha wrote:
    or maybe the RNG just runs in streaks
  3. ARCHIVED-Prrasha Guest

Admittedly, I'm usually the guy in here debunking other's probability experiments. But the chances of 2-or-fewer hits in 22 chances is 1 in 16512. (And this would have been two separate streaks, since this is cumulative harvesting over two days with some server downtime between them.)
    And the broker (on Unrest) has had many sapphires up for sale at once, but only zero or one osmium every time I looked, so the same "streak" seems to be affecting everyone. Isn't everyone supposed to be playing Beastlords, so sapphires should be the more-desired harvest?
    Is anyone (who uses add-%-rare-harvest effects) seeing a huge surplus of Osmium to balance out my streak? Or is the harvesting algorithm screwed up?
  4. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

I have to back the OP up on this.
    I'm always ready to jump in and beat an RNGtard down but this is not the case here.

• 3 - Osmium
    • 18 - Black Star Sapphires
  5. ARCHIVED-Kenpachii Guest

I thought the same thing, but i havent harvest for that long just when i see a node while questing.

I have got 4 Black star sapphires to 0 Osmiums so far
  6. ARCHIVED-Prrasha Guest

And just logged in to the game to see a discussion in /auction. Conclusion: Osmium is way more rare.
    Current broker supplies:
    54 Black Star Sapphires, priced 27-48pp
    1 (one) Osmium Cluster, priced 100pp
  7. ARCHIVED-Deveryn Guest

10 to 1, atm. Maybe they should just have one rare for all spells.
  8. ARCHIVED-Angus Podgorny Guest

I'm at 21 black star sapphires to only 2 osmium, using 3% rare harvest chance. My guess is that rather using two random numbers, one to see if you get a rare and the other to see which, they messed up and are using a single roll on a table with two rares. I.e., they normally pick a number between 1 and 1000, with 998+ being a black star sapphire (0.3%), 995-997 being an osmium (0.3%), anything else being common. To adjust for 3% rare chance, they just add 30, which means that an unadjusted 968+ is a black star sapphire (3.3%) and an unadjusted 965-967 is an osmium (still just 0.3%).
  9. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Went harvesting for 90 min, using Potion of Bountiful Harvests and have Trim Reaver. Not only did I get 10 Black Star Sapphires and 0 Osmium Clusters, but I got twice as much Amathist as I did Iridum Clusters. Something doesn't seem right here.
  10. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

A ratio of circa 10 Black Star Sapphire to every 1 Osmium is unfair to those of your players who need the Osmium to make Experts.
    Currently the going rate for Osmium is 200 plat per cluster while Black Star Sapphire can be had for 15.
    This needs to be looked at and adressed in the very near future.
  11. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

I had absolutely no problems on Test but from what I heard all live servers have the problem but ratio seems worse than what you said (more like 20 to 1). Hope it'll get fixed soon (and not soonTM)
  12. ARCHIVED-Solarax Guest

here is my data for 12 hours harvesting with bountiful1 from cloak and 6 hour potion of bountiful harvest

14 star saph
    2 osmium
    12 tungston
    12 banyan root
    4 metalic hides
    57 of those whatchamacolates that use to make imbued recipies

i dont know if it is coincidence or not that all numbers are evenly factored or even numbers but that is what i got. cant look at the total number of stacks yet cause my sever is down right now but i have bags of stuff
  13. ARCHIVED-Angus Podgorny Guest

For anyone that thinks a 21-to-2 ratio might have been just a streak of bad luck...
    I continued harvesting out the duration of my potion and ended up with 76 black star sapphires to 8 osmiums. According to Wolfram Alpha, the odds of that happening in a fair system are 1 in 443.7 trillion.
  14. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Wullailduo@Splitpaw wrote:
    Has nothing to do with RNG, if it is happening to everyone.
  15. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Soulskar@Splitpaw wrote:
    I did 6 hours (using the same things as you) after posting this thread and only did Gem and Ore Nodes
    21 Star Sapphire and 1 Osmium
    And everyone discussing the problem in both 80-90 and crafting chat were having the same results.
    There is a reason that Osmium is 200 plat and Sapphire only 15 - 20 plat on the broker.
  16. ARCHIVED-Gladiolus Guest

This has always been the way. Silicate loam vs incarnadine clusters sound familiar?
  17. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Gladiolus wrote:
    And that makes it right, how?
    And I'm sorry but tier 9 was just fine, you always had an even chance of either a Kaborite or Diamond.
  18. ARCHIVED-Deveryn Guest

Wurm wrote:
    I always felt Tier 9 was skewed more towards diamonds. Even the apprentices like to give me diamonds most of the time.
  19. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Deveryn@Crushbone wrote:
    And I receive more Kaborite.
    2 to 1 would be OK but 20 to 1 is a bug.
  20. ARCHIVED-Xianthia Guest

I harvested 25 black star sapphires before I saw my first osmium. I'm now over 100 black star sapphires to 7 osmiums... Something seems very broken on this particular rare table.
    I've always known rng can be very fickle... but this seems extreme.