T1 DPS

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sasquatch, May 1, 2020.

1. Raff Well-Known Member

Every raid guild has those people who, for whatever reason, will spend enormous amounts of money to upgrade their classes to the best that money can buy. The difference is that while I don't participate much in monetary upgrades, I don't begrudge anyone the ability to spend as much of their own money as they want for a higher parse.

As far as MMO's working best for play time & skill? Works best for players who have an inordinate amount of free time, perhaps. But the p2w option in EQ2 probably brings in a large chunk of cash to the game. And while it allows fools and their money to be soon parted in the most extreme cases? It also gives a path for returning player (or even a current player who has fallen behind due to RL) to get caught up quicker...if they choose to do so.
    Snikkety and Breanna like this.
  2. Mr Rogers New Member

If you all think DB marketing is sitting around asking, “How can we make the user experience better?” or “How can we draw in new players?” you are only fooling yourself. They are asking “How can we monetize existing features and inconvenience them in such a way, they click buy now.”

It will not be long until “Buy Now” is all you see on the screen. This is a cash register to them, not a platform where they want to create an awesome user experience so great, users will want to stay for years.

There are three stages, buy low, sell high quickly to maximize our return, then dump it. We are in stage 2.

Just my opinion.
    Erudinel, Gillymann and Mermut like this.
  3. Geniusincuba New Member

I love the fact that we loot 4 hours Mount training (10-20 days) but if you have only 4 days left it does not roll over, so buy the 4 days or loose 6 days or more applying the rune. Genius, how they brainstormed that one Bravo :)
  4. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The min-max culture in EQ2 is so toxic.

I am not sure why players react so severely here as opposed to EQ1 and other games.

The fundamental issue is not even "P2W/Pay to Shortcut" (which muddies the waters) but stat bloat and stat calculations.
    Erudinel likes this.
  5. Sasquatch New Member

People can spend all the money they want, idc. That's not the arguement here. It's the fact that you either spend money or bust. You can't achieve the same level of character power by playing the game more or better than the person who purchased it. The time commitment to match is way too drastic. It needs to be reduced to a reasonable amount of time and I promise you this game would be much healthier. New and returning players would actually stick around and enjoy catching up.
    Dude, Mermut and Jaeded like this.
  6. dorotea Well-Known Member

((You can't achieve the same level of character power by playing the game more or better than the person who purchased it. The time commitment to match is way too drastic. It needs to be reduced to a reasonable amount of time and I promise you this game would be much healthier. New and returning players would actually stick around and enjoy catching up. ))

I disagree that people that decide not to pay for the game should get almost as much as those who do pay. If so - why would those of us who subscribe do so?

I agree that EQ2 is one of the hardest games to catch up with for a new or returning player, in part because of the endless overlays of somewhat consistent and somewhat inconsistent statistics and mechanisms. Get rid of some of the overlapping systems (salvage, weapon salvage, transmuting to give one of many examples - a dozen or more different chunks of this that or the other thing to upgrade abilities or gear - even just counting things relevant at 120 to give another) and get rid of some of the confusing array of attributes (fervor, potency, resolve etc).

I don't at all want the game dumbed down - all Gods know there has been enough of that already. But chaos and confusion for new and returning players isn't a plus.
  7. Cryomancy New Member

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It is not a healthy game design for players who purchase player power to be unmatched. The point of buying player power is for instant gratification. It should be done to save time and give you a good head start above others but not put you on a level unreachable by people who put more work and time in.
    Gillymann, Jaeded, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  8. Avirodar Well-Known Member

I can only wonder, what are the odds that we see something like the example below, within the next few years?

Stellar Raid Zones.
    - Entry requirement: 24 players, with each player in possession of at least 1 Luclin Bauble.
    - Luclin Baubles are a single use token, valid only for 1 entry & exit of a Stellar Raid Zone.
    - Luclin Baubles operate as an account-locked (notrade) currency, appearing only the currency tab.

Stellar Raid Zones will contain 1 unique chest per raid member. No mobs. Each chest contains:
    - Stellar Adornments - Stack on top of any other adornment, no cap/limit. Effect Duration 3 days.
    - Stellar Meal - Reduces all incoming damage by 25% after all other defensive checks. Duration 4 hours.
    - Stellar Drink - Increases all outgoing damage by 25% (multiplier). Duration 4 hours.
    - Stellar Weaponry Crate - Allows the player to select from a range of BiS primary, secondary and ranged items.
    - Stellar Armory Crate - Allows the player to select from a range of BiS armor.
    - Stellar Accessory Crate - Allows the player to select from a range of BiS accessories and jewellery.
    - Stellar Research Potion - Speeds up research of any ability by 168 hours.

How to obtain Luclin Baubles?
    - A Luclin Bauble has a 0.01% chance of dropping from the solo zone boss mob.
    - A Luclin Bauble has a 0.02% chance of dropping from the heroic zone boss mob.
    - A Luclin Bauble has a 0.03% chance of being a reward from Overseer Missions.
    - A Luclin Bauble has a 0.14% chance of dropping from a raid zone boss mob.
    - A Luclin Bauble has a 1.15% chance of being a reward from a Singing Steel Heritage Crate.
    - Luclin Baubles can also be purchased from the Marketplace for 3000 Daybreak Cash per bauble.

In the example above, there are multiple avenues available to gain access Stellar Raid Zones exclusively via "in-game means". With such, some people will suggest this renders any complaint about the 3000 DBC Luclin Baubles to be null and void.
  9. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Well said. 100% this^.
    Rhodris likes this.
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

Imagine that, a company considering how to make money? Those...those...Capitalists! :eek:
    Breanna likes this.
  11. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Raff you went from this game is not p2w at all to its maybe a little p2w to its p2w if you can afford it to its p2w but capatalism is cool. In less than 4 days.

Can you decide on an opinion or do you just like being heard?
    Daelini, Wulfgyr and Dude like this.
  12. Sasquatch New Member

I noticed this too lmao. No one has really been able to argue against the fact that the time commitment required to match a p2w player is way too lengthy.
  13. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Where have I argued (ever) that a company shouldn't make money?

I just happen to believe the healthiest way to go about it is to focus on priortitizing solving the problem your customer are paying you to solve (i.e. fun, challenge, entertainment). Quality produces revenue.

Imo, DBG/DPG (whatever) prioritizes the harvesting money first with customer welfare and product quality being only marginal concerns on the list of priorities.

If that's how they want to run their business, fine. It's their property and they are entitled to do what they want with it.

The offensive part is the pattern of dishonesty and a general mistreatment of customers. Still, markets do a pretty good job of fixing these kinds of problems. For example, see EQ2.
    Rhodris and Wulfgyr like this.
  14. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

I haven't raided since EQ1, so I can't answer my first question, that being:

Have the developers tuned the game play such that having max capability is required to succeed in raiding?

If the answer to that is yes, then given the inordinate amount of time required to reach that max level without spending cash, that looks a lot like manipulating the game to force people to pay cash.

If the answer is no, and people are denied raid slots just because their abilities aren't at max level, then that's more of a societal issue. A guild should not deny a raid slot to a member if they are at or above the minimum performance ability for the raid in question.

As I said, I can't answer the initial question, which determines what the minimum performance level for a raid is.
  15. Raff Well-Known Member

Well, considering that the entire conversation split into separate conversations with other people, then segued back into the OP's thread. It is apparent that you haven't read the entire thread.

But, as is obvious, from all my posts. I'm a huge fan of the "pay to shortcut" (Error's term) options being available. Even if I don't use them that much.
    Breanna likes this.
  16. Dude Well-Known Member

In other words ... Hanlon's razor?
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Benito like this.
  17. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Yes!

EQ2's F2P model is stupid. It probably benefited lots of players early on but hurt the game in the long run.

I mean WoW restricts F2P to level 20.

EQ1 finds a weird niche because people like to box (run multiple characters) and min-max (prestige gear) is more organic there.
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

The truth about EQ2's revenue model is nuanced.

I contend the following:

• EQ2 F2P model is too generous. You only need to purchase the basic expansion to enjoy a year's worth of content.
    • EQ2 needs to supplement the low(er) subscription revenue with marketplace transactions.
    • Stat bloat and stat calculations unduly magnifies what should be middling marketplace upgrades.
    • Devs are ultimately trying to find a balance between incentivized marketplace transactions and appropriate operating revenue levels.
    In contrast, EQ1 is self-sustaining on heavy subscription (Live/TLP) and Krono transactions as many players box (some subscribing 6 accounts or more per month) and find min-max more organic.
    Breanna likes this.
  19. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

This thread is about T1 DPS, please bring it back around to that. If you'd like to discuss the ins and outs of the different F2P models that requires it's own thread.
  20. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

My apologies. My comments (revenue model in general) were directed about the issue of capitalism in the 1v1 between some of the others above.