Symbols for 'literature'

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Pimmer, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Pimmer New Member

Hi folks,

with scribing I still experience difficulties understanding. What I find, buy orsome mob drops is something like a closed book, an open book or a scroll. Now I wonder what is good for what or are these symbols just random?

And: I am a sage inquisitor. From what I understand I can produce spells for, say a coercer. But even if I want to scribe such something dropped being 10 levels below my tradeskill xp lvl it says: Not enough knowledge.

Can you give some advice on it? Would be grateful.
  2. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Characters can only scribe books for their adventure and tradeskill class, so an inquisitor would never be able to scribe coercer spells. For adventure spells, the different book icons indicate different spell qualities: Apprentice, Journeyman, Adept, Expert, Master, Grandmaster, Ancient (in order from weakest to strongest).
    Pimmer and Shmogre like this.
  3. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Mouse over the item in question, and it should tell you what the requirements are for scribing the book/scroll/etc. They should have class and level restrictions, and you're only going to be able to scribe stuff that is specifically for sages (for drops that means specific recipe books that contain the recipes for making priest and mage expert or grandmaster spells) or dropped spell upgrades that are specifically for inquisitor. If it is for some other class or a skill level above your skill, the requirements that you do NOT meet should be in red text.

And if I am reading what you are trying to say correctly, you may be trying to scribe the actual spells for other classes, when what you need is the *recipe books* for those classes. You can't scribe their spells then make them, you scribe recipe books that contain a bunch of spell upgrades, then you can make those spells for others.

To use your coercer example, if you were a level 25 sage, and you wanted to make a level 24 coercer Expert level spell, you would need to find Advanced Sage Volume 24 and scribe it.

So, rather than just look at the book/scroll icon, you need to look at the class and level requirements for it.

You'll be able to scribe any Artisan books that are at your tradeskill level or below. You'll be able to scribe any scholar books that are at your tradeskill level or below. You'll be able to scribe any sage books that are at your level or below**. Then you can craft the recipes contained within them, provided you have the right materials at the right crafting station.

You'll also be able to scribe any dropped Inqusitor adepts, masters or grandmasters** that are at your adventuring level or below - but that won't give you the ability to craft more of those, just use them in your spellbook. ;)

**Of course, if you have already scribed book/scroll in question, you won't be able to scribe a second copy of it. Cyan text when you examine it will tell you that you have already scribed it.

I hope this makes sense. Without specific examples of what you are trying to scribe, I am doing a bit of guessing and reading between the lines.

~Mum
    Finora, Adevil, Pimmer and 2 others like this.
  4. Pimmer New Member

@Prissetta: Thanks for your response. So, even if I am a sage I cannot create for other classes then mine? What is the profession of sage then good for? Just to scribe scrolls for sbdy of my own class?
  5. Pimmer New Member

@Niami Den other:
    Which means that anything I will be able to scribe is included in SageXY and all the Coercer things mobs are dropping I can dump or sell?
  6. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

You can sell all the coecer adepts and such that you got. They aren't recipes, but the actual spells that coercers need to scribe. Your recipes will be in the sage books, and in the grandmaster recipe books (all crafting classes can scribe the grandmaster books, at the right crafting level.)

To answer what you asked Prissetta - you can make spell upgrades for all priests (warden, fury, templar, inquisitor, mystic, defiler, channeler) and all mages (coercer, illusionist, wizard, warlock, etc.) as a sage. Those recipes are contained in your sage books (both the Sage Essentials books that you buy from the crafting trainer/recipe vendor and the Advanced Sage books that you get from drops).
  7. Pimmer New Member

Thanks a bunch, that makes it clear. :)
  8. Pimmer New Member

Another question related to this: From your explanations I would expect a message sth like 'You cannot...' when trying to scribe in this case Backstab VII adept for the brigand. But it shows 'Not enough knowledge'. Is this just poorly commented or am I missing sth again? Thanks for the patience!
  9. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

It is just poorly commented. It is looking for XX levels of brigand before you can scribe it, and you have 0 levels of Brigand :D
    Adevil, Prissetta and Pimmer like this.