SweetFX in EverQuest 2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Baratan, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Haledorn New Member

I see that this thread has some recent activity and I was hoping that my issue may be related.

When I run EQ2 in fullscreen, the interface/fonts seem to "vibrate" between crisp and fuzzy and the effect is almost nauseating. I've attempted to tweak settings within EQ and in my nVIDIA control panel. No luck no matter what I tweak. This happens in extreme performance AND in extreme Quality settings in EQ. I've turned on and off the smooth font settings..

My first assumption was my anti-aliasing but nothing I do in those settings appears to have any affect.

I have a GTX 760 with 16GB RAM and an i7.

When I play in windowed mode the vibration stops, however all of the fonts and interface borders are "fuzzy"

I apologize if this is vague, I simple don't know how to describe it. I am at a loss and any help would be appreciated
  2. Deago Well-Known Member

If your drivers are fully updated I would attempt to uninstall them and use the drivers that came with the card even if they are older.
  3. Baratan Member

If FXAA is on in the nvidia control panel try turning it on.
  4. Baratan Member

Try turning it "off" I mean.
  5. RadarX Community Manager

To clarify on this, we do not allow the use of injectors in our products. While this program can do some amazing things, it also allows you to do things we'd prefer you not do (objects you can't see through are meant to be that way).
  6. thepowersthatbe Member

injectors not allowed and instantly banned you say? radarx.. but there seems to be thousands of players using [unnamed program] which injects..that's what the bot programs uses for the botters to bot.. hmmmmmmmmm...
  7. RadarX Community Manager

I think you might want to research the difference between a shader injector and the software you are describing (which I'll ask you not to name please).
    Deago likes this.
  8. Baratan Member

Explain to me how SweetFX can allow someone to see through something otherwise not transparent in the game. It's not my program, I'm not using it, but AFAIK it's a post-processing injector like the .ddl files in your graphics card driver. If it can be used to create vision hacks I can't disagree with you, I'm just not seeing that listed as an option on the program's download page. I see SMAA, FXAA and innumerable color correction options.
  9. Kendayar Active Member

let's explain how dll works: it's just code that has been put in a standalone form that can be shared to any program that uses it. they can also be used to wait for certain events or calls to happen before stepping in and running its code (aka injecting/hooking). SweetFX uses it to add AA and filters mostly.

if you can hook into the client's renderer, it's possible to for instance tell it not to render a certain texture.. now you can see through walls.. you could let it print notifications to you when some named spawns nearby.. or if it's pvp, be able to detect players the moment they load in, giving you an unfair advantage.

and yes, the client has to render things ahead of time otherwise there would be a lot of stuttering and framerate drops from all the disk access to pop assets in and out constantly (or much higher system requirements to cache more data). kinda like playing on the streaming client without pre downloading except worse.
    Deago likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Knowing the reason makes it much easier to understand why this tool is a no-no. I'm glad it has been explained, that's a pothole I won't fall into :)
  11. Wulfhammer Active Member

I appreciate the explanation..
  12. Baratan Member

That's not accurate. Prove it. Using another game as an example, use sweetfx to hide a specific texture in the game or to give information related to an in-game trigger. Hooking into the graphics driver doesn't give access to any of these things. The sweet fx doesn't access the game's cache, files or data in memory. If they're going to ban the use of sweetfx on the basis that it uses dlls to access the frame buffer they're going to have to include the nvidia control panel, radeon pro and all other third and first party gpu control programs as they all use. Dlls to affect rendering output.

13. Kendayar Active Member

now you're just being contrarian.

never said it did. i posted that it adds AA and filters. but if we really wanted to go there nobody actually knows what all sweetfx does since it's closed source. we're taking that guy's word on it.

dynamic libraries by definition do just that. plus, do you even directX? how do you think those graphics even appear on your monitor? calls to a 3rd party library.

it's banned on the basis that a closed source mod by some random dude on the internet can't be trusted for online multiplayer.

nvidia and amd would be held accountable if they allowed that kind of cheating through their software. support would be dropped immediately and they'll lose a lot of business.
    flameweaver likes this.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

No one needs to prove anything. DBG says the use of SweetFX is banned in its games, and that's the end of the story. They say they can detect the application in use, so if you use it and get banned, well, you were told, /shrug.
    flameweaver likes this.
  15. RadarX Community Manager

If you want me to be blunt? I can't.

What I'm doing is taking the word of not only the Technical Director who helped build the backend of PlanetSide 2 (and did a ton of work on EQ2) but our Chief Technical Officer. If you are ever in town I'll be happy to introduce you and they can define this black magic for you. It's just not what I do here.

What I do know, is we don't go to the trouble of banning something for funsies. It cost us time and resources to not only enforce but communicate this.
    flameweaver likes this.
  16. Baratan Member

Sure, ban it all you want. It's your game, but the explanation given that it can hide textures or provide information otherwise not available to the player is not true. The real reason you're banning it is because you don't know what it does and that's fine.
  17. Syner_AB New Member

Homie, are ypu get paid for every plug of "SweetFX".

P.s
    I want my plug money
  18. ratzin New Member

Good to hear! The color correction and SMAA is nice to have. Expecially since EQ2 can look a bit grayish by default.
  19. Baratan Member

No, I just like SMAA in games with poor AA support.