SweetFX in EverQuest 2

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Baratan, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Baratan Member

Has SOE ever made a public declaration in regards to using SweetFX in Everquest 2? Yes, or no. Let's not create a debate. They're not banning the use of video card control software and that's all this really is let's go along with it like this... If SOE allowed SweetFX, I'd recommend it to everyone, in every game including Everquest 2. It has color adjustments, special effects, clarification filters, an advanced form of anti-aliasing and more. If SOE allowed SweetFX these are the settings I'd use, screenshots included. http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1364/

If SOE allowed SweetFX, which settings would you use? Screenshots rarely do video games justice. This is no exception. The anti-aliasing is most appreciated on images in motion. Personally, I use the Nvidia control panel's FXAA in Everquest 2 because it works wonderfully without affecting the text or interface and without any noticeable FPS loss.

I'm coming back to EQ2 as a 9 year vet after not playing it since vanilla up to level 33 and I found the forums to be very helpful and to contribute my part I'm sharing the information about SweetFX for anyone who would benefit from it's use, If SOE allowed SweetFX.
    The_Cheeseman and starfishpaws like this.
  2. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

I've been running ENB series generic version for the past few weeks. It looks pretty nice, but I've been too lazy to tweak the settings much, so it is a bit too bright and blurry for my tastes at times. The lighting effects are great, though, as well as the color correction. I am using a lighting palette from the Skyrim ENB, "Realvision" that is just ridiculously beautiful in Skyrim. I'll give your presets a shot, thanks for posting them!

Also, I seriously doubt SOE cares about graphical overhauls that don't even touch the game files. Nothing these kinds of mods change affects anything but your own screen. I don't know how they'd even know you're running it.
  3. Baratan Member

I didn't know that ENB worked with EQ2. Which files are you using? The Skyrim ones?
  4. starfishpaws Member

Thanks for the post Baratan. I loaded the preset you linked to and it looks great, even with my crappy old graphics card. :)
  5. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Just head over to ENBSeries main site and look for the version labeled Generic. I believe it was originally used for GTA4, but he stripped-out all the game-specific settings so it is usable by a wide variety of games. It's a pretty old version, but it really makes the lighting look amazing. Unfortunately, it is a version before the in-game UI for tweaking, and I haven't discovered a way to reload the .ini without restarting EQ2, which makes customization difficult. Plus, I only know the very basics about graphics options, so it would take some serious trial and error on my part to find something really great.

Like I mentioned above, I set the color correction options to use a palette that I pulled from the RealVisionENB for Skyrim, and I really like it. The only issue is that the brightness can be a bit high at times, and the whole screen gets a bit blurry (which would look great, actually, if it didn't affect the UI elements). I recommend turning off your in-game bloom effects if you use the ENB bloom, though, as they will stack together to make the sun blindingly bright during daytime.
  6. Baratan Member

Mind sharing your settings & maybe a screenshot or two? I'm interested to see how it looks.
  7. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I'm interested too. My main home is in Maj'dul, which is bright as a rule already (as is teneb. Isle). Do these 'white glow light' zones get glarry?
  8. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

I'll try to get some shots for you guys uploaded, but I've been busy the past couple nights. Soon!
  9. Baratan Member

Any advice on Antialiasing in EQ2?
  10. Deago Well-Known Member

How exactly (currently) would they know you are using this software? :confused:
  11. Chrisworld Active Member

I'm not exactly in the 100% know how with how MMOs monitor your system for 3rd party software. Many technical users would report to others any indication of extra processes being run on their machines without them really knowing (no matter how well hidden) unless the software was running inside the games process itself. Say it scans for the most popular and well used software for botting? I'd imagine much like anti virus software. But wether or not this game has that is unknown.

I'm guessing that if you modify the game while in memory (RAM) by injecting textures and stuff and none of these files ever "phone home" with a modified checksum or anything (since they're strictly local) then there is no way for them to tell. It would be like them trying to guess wether or not youre smiling or frowning in front of your computer while you grind away killing mobs, lol. It's impossible.

Unless, like I said they are using a stealth AV like software to detect but I don't know. That may or may not be legal or heck, if could be allowed somewhere. When you accept an EULA you generally sign a lot of your rights away to the company enforcing said EULA.

Maybe it's he awesominum.exe process I see running when i open the task manager while eq2 is running? I could be wrong, I don't even know what that piece of software is but I don't remember it from back in the day either.
    Deago likes this.
  12. Deago Well-Known Member

They do have some security in place for certain memory...things...which I cannot really talk about here but they involve a needle and a some stuff to be injected into the body of the it..thing and that thing go all wrong and then you get the ban hammer.

Something like dat.:D
  13. RadarX Community Manager

We do not allow the use of SweetFX in PlanetSide 2 and yes we can see folks using it. I'll clarify the policy for EQ2 tomorrow if I can.
    Deago likes this.
  14. Deago Well-Known Member

Not knowing really what sweetfx did so I researched and understand now.
  15. Breta Well-Known Member

isn't it just a graphic enhancer?
  16. Wulfhammer Active Member

Oh damn... I was going to give this a go tonight but looks like I'd better wait....
  17. Deago Well-Known Member

They do not want any alterations basically.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I was curious enough to go look at it. There are configurations for SweetFX out there for EQ2, just FYI. I'm curious as to what it is doing that presents a problem for us. I actually can adjust a lot of that stuff right in the Options, I'm not sure why you'd need the add-on.
  19. flameweaver Well-Known Member

First off, I don't play PS2, however the game is basically a 3 faction team PvP fest, so my guess - and it is a guess - would be that SweetFX, is giving those players that use it an advantage, probably because, it allows graphic changes that the PS2 client doesn't support, making it for easier to see/spot and therefore kill one's foes.

Like you though, I don't see any advantage in using it for EQ2, you can basically do most of the changes in the EQ2 client, but neither would I be adverse to EQ2 players, that wish to, to use it.

From the PS2 Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlanetSide_2
    PlanetSide 2 holds the Guinness World Record for the biggest first-person shooter battle with 1158 players in a single battle.
  20. Chrisworld Active Member

Thanks! Now we know for sure.