Swashbuckler AA FAQ or What we know about AAs so far...

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Ookami-san, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Ookami-san Guest

Ok... there are alot of different posts here about AAs and alot of questions... I'm trying to collect them all in one place so we can get answers and update it... specifically as they apply to Swashbucklers. Chime in with questions and answers to add...

Which AA tree(s) are best for swashbucklers?
    What's your favorite color? The answer is as individual as your favorite color. It really depends on your play style. Try them out and respec if you don't like it.

How do I earn AA points?
    You earn AA points by completing non-repeatable quests of your level, completing collection quests, discovering new areas (and areas that have been reset), killing certain named mobs of your level for the first time, and once you hit 70, all adventure experience will go towards AAs. Apparently, discoveries, quests and even collection quests below 20th level do not count towards AA exp even if the quests, etc. are NOT green.

You can also earn AA exp by looting certain body drops from MoBs, these usually say "Looted xx treasure" and were previously thought good only for selling. These must come from MoBs over level 20.

It has been confirmed that you cannot mentor down to get quest exp from quests that would normally be green to you.

How many AA points can I earn?
    The current limit is 50 points.

Can I change my AA choices?
    Yes. You can respec your AA choices by talking to an NPC. For goodies, the NPC is in the mage guild in South Qeynos named Rune Shimmerstar. The cost to respec are:
    • Respec 1 : 1s
    • Respec 2 : 13s
    • Respec 3 : 1g 3sp
    • Respec 4 : 13g
    • Respec 5 : 1p 3 gp
    • Respec 6+ : 13p

How do I "buy" the AAs?
    The first thing you must do to open the AA process is put a single point in pickpocket. Then, the first art of any branch costs 1 pt. You can advance them up to 8 pts each in 1 point increments. For the 2nd through the 4th arts in a brnach, you must have 4 points in the preceeding branch art in order to put a point into the next item on the branch. For the last art in a branch, there is only one level and it costs 8 points.

So, to get the minimal amount in a branch, you need 1 in pickpocket, then 4-4-4-4-8.

How many "branches" can I max out?
    Technically, you can only max out one branch. If you put 8-8-8-8-8 in a single branch, you would have spent 41 points and the maximum you can get at this time is 50. Many people are preferring to get to the last ability in two branches by putting in the minimal points for the other arts... so each branch would have 4-4-4-4-8 = 24. This allows you to put 24 in two branch and have 1 point left over after the 1 point in Pickpocket.

How does Pickpocket work?
    Pickpocket is a CA that can be used against a humanoid mob when you are behind the mob. It gives you a chance to pull some money from the mob from a seperate pool than the money it drops. The money you receive is based on the mob level, as is (supposedly) the chance to succeed.

There is some debate as to what exactly a humanoid is. For instance, in T7, a droag is a humanoid but an aviak isn't.

If you fail badly, there is a chance to increase aggro with the mob.

Which weapons can I use for which arts?
    There's still some debate on this. Hopefully we can get some clarification and examples of popular weapons and that do and do not work.

Rapiers include: rapiers, sabres, epees, foils, cutlasses, etc.
    Daggers include: daggers, knives, dirks, shivs, stilettos, sai, kris, parrying blades, fangs, etc
    Swords include: swords, longswords, short swords, scimitars, falchions, spathas, kukris, whips, etc.

From the Agility Line, what good is Walk the Plank?
    A few uses have been suggested. First, during solo play, you can turn the mob around and use your back attacks. When combined with Sailwind (which reduces casting times), you may be able to get all your back attacks in.

In addition, if the main tank is about to go down, you can step in front of him, turn the mob and give the healers precious time to get a heal in. This works to prevent other party members from dying as well. Step in front of the mage, turn the mob and the tank has a couple of seconds to retaunt and get aggro back.

From the Agility Line, Sailwind sounds too good to be true. Does it really reduce our casting times and recovery times?
    Remember the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is? This applies here. What Sailwind actually does is decrease the casting time and recovery time (the time before you can cast another CA). It does NOT reduce the RECAST time on the CA itself. So you will not be able to use a given CA any more than you could previously.

At most, this gives you the ability to burst your damage faster... which is good when combined with Walk the Plank and in things where speed counts... like PvP and Dueling.

Theoretically, the reduced cast time should also increase auto-attack damage, since auto-attack is suspended while casting a CA. A 25% in casting time should mean a few extra seconds of auto-attacks, which could also mean more procs.

From the Agility Line, does Commandeer increase my overall movement speed?
    Unfortunately, Commandeer does not seem to increase out of combat speed at all, nor does it seem to stack with anything. It does exactly what it says... it gives a slight increase in movement during combat. This does mean that you should have an edge when fleeing...er... strategically withdrawing from an encouter.

From the Agility Line, does the damage from Avast Ye increase as I add points?
    Unfortunately no. The only thing that seems to increase as you add points is the chance to proc. Nothing else appears to change as you add points.

From the Wisdom line, Lunge Reversal looks as good as En Garde. Is this so?
    En Garde will return damage during most parrys, ripostes, etc. during it's duration. Lunge Reversal is once and done, you cast it and it will return damage on the very NEXT riposte, parry, etc. and then it must be recast. It does have a short recast time, however.

From the Wisdom line, how does Unencumberance work?
    Apparently, it is a proc similiar to Inspired Daring. It procs off autoattack, but not from CAs, however it can proc CAs (like poison). It also does not proc off itself.

From the Wisdom line, is Unencumberance worth giving up dual wield?
    Good question. I haven't seen any hard data on it, however... from a numbers standpoint, several people have posted that the damage ratio between 1H and DW weapons is about 1.5 in favor of DW. So you need a fairly high proc percentage (50%) to keep up.

However, keep in mind, CAs and other procs proc on the main hand, not the secondary hand. Theoretically, this means more poison damage from Unencumberance, though this cannot be confirmed yet. Add to this that when combined with Sailwind to reduce casting times, you will be auto-attacking slightly more and thus double attacking and procing more.

What's the best offensive build? What's the best defensive build?
    Until we see some hard numbers and get experience playing with AAs, I don't anyone can claim to know the "best" build. Plus, keep in mind it depends alot if you mean solo vs ground vs raid. I doubt there will ever be a "best" build, but I'm sure there will be specialized builds being posted more and more as we get better acquainted with AAs. Check the links below for some builds.

What are some good one-handed weapons for the AGL (Rapier), STR (Sword) and INT (Dagger) branches?
    There is a good thread started at: http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=33&message.id=9812 but I will recap below:

One-Handed Slashing Weapons:

Scalesplitter
    • Stats: (To be filled in) +5 Slashing +3 Parry
    • Dmg Rating: 58.6
    • Looks Like: Katana (gold hilt)
    • Drops from: Named in Sanctum of Scaleborn
    • Level: 60
    Dark Fury Sword of Anuk
    • Stats: (To be filled in) +5 Slashing
    • Dmg Rating: 62
    • Looks Like: ???
    • Drops from: Final reward for Epic 2.0 quest (starts with Damsel in Distress)
    • Level: 60
    Patternspinner
    • Stats: +10 STA, +20 Wis, +65 Health, +65 Power - Flowing Thought 2
    • Dmg Rating: 60.4
    • Drops from: The Pattern Juggler (Courts of Al'Afaz)
    • Level: 58?
    Sandstorm - Slashing
    • Stats: +12 STR, +9 STA, +5 Wis, +50 Health, +38 Power
    • Dmg Rating: 63.1
    • Looks Like:
    • Drops from: Cazel
    • Level: ?
    Shimmering Trueblade Scimitar
    • Stats: +10 STR, +8 AGI, +12 STA, +60 Health, +30 Power
    • Dmg Rating: 59.2
    • Looks Like:
    • Drops from:
    • Level: ?
    Brakzars Cleaver-Sword
    • Stats: +22 STR, +22 AGI, +60 Health, +65 Power
    • Dmg Rating: 67.6
    • Looks Like: A giant cleaver
    • Drops from: Brakzar (Palace of the Awakened in the blue dragon tower)
    • Level: 67
    Blade of the Bixies
    • Stats: +23 STR, +15 WIS, +40 Health, +40 Power
    • Dmg Rating: 62.0
    • Looks Like: A Katana (same graphic as Scalesplitter)
    • Drops from: Championess on Bixie Island
    • Level: 58
    Doomrage Blade
    • Stats: +22 AGI, +15 STA, +10 INT, +65 Health, +50 Power, +2 Slashing
    • Dmg Rating: 63.1
    • Looks Like: Cutlass, patterned hilt
    • Drops from: Named Captain in the Halls of Fate
    • Level: 64
    Fated Cipher Blade
    • Stats: +22 STR, +18 STA, +20 WIS, +75 Health, +85 Power , Procs Vim of Fate (100 Power, +4 pr/tick)
    • Dmg Rating: 75.9
    • Drops from: ???
    • Level: ???
    One-Handed Piercing Weapons:

Avenging Cutlass
    • Stats: +18 STR, +20 STA, +70 Health, +70 Power, +5 Piercing
    • Dmg Rating: 60.4
    • Looks Like: Cutlass (iron hilt)
    • Drops from: First named encounter in Poets Palace: The Return
    • Level: 59?
    Swiftwhisper
    • Stats: +18 STR, +20 AGI, +60 Health, +60 Power, +2 Slashing
    • Dmg Rating: 56.4
    • Looks Like: Rapier (iron cup hilt)
    • Level: 59?
    Ranktura's Fang
    • Stats: +22 STR, +25 AGI, +40 Health, +55 Power, +2 Piercing
    • Dmg Rating: 60.9
    • Looks Like: Dagger (unknown look)
    • Level: 62

What are other AA related links:
    SOE FAQ:
    http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/news_ff.vm?FeatureName=achievements&section=development

A post on swapping weapons:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...id=achievements&message.id=109&jump=true#M109

General discussion on shields and types of shields:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...d.id=items&message.id=53249&query.id=0#M53249

Wisdom AA Line (discussion on weapon types):
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=33&message.id=9812

Stamina AA Line (Combos for light tank/solo/dps)
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=33&message.id=9547

That's it for now. Please posts things you'd like to see added to this thread.

LAST UPDATED:
    Message Edited by Ookami-san on 03-14-200607:32 AM
    Message Edited by Ookami-san on 03-14-200607:32 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Purgle Guest

can you include shields - round shields and whats a round shield please, for sta path requirments
    EDIT: Was very rude and forgot to say thank for a good thread, very helpfull, doing an edit as not to spam the post.
    Message Edited by Purgle on 03-06-200607:22 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Ookami-san Guest

Good question. I don't use a shield and never have but maybe someone can chime in.
  4. ARCHIVED-dagoo7 Guest

Hmmm... So whips count as swords for purposes of strength line (torporous strike), etc. Are we sure of this? Seems sort of counterintuitive but they do do slashing damage.

BTW Thanks for the post, compiles a lot of useful info in one place.
  5. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

Great write up! Thanks for posting this, it should save a lot of repetition when people come here asking the same questions. ;)
    In the "Sailwind section, not sure if you might want to adjust this part...
    ... to refer to "reuse" or "recast" time to keep the distinction from recovery. :) (I think the game actually refers to recast.)
    You probably saw the cost for the respecs, might be worth adding that (so people see how fast the cost increases):
    The cost to respec your achievements is initially fairly low, but increases in price the more times you respec. The cost caps out at 13p after you've respec'd your achievements 6 times.
    • First Respec: 1s
    • Second Respec: 13s
    • Third Respec: 1g 30s
    • Fourth Respec: 13g
    • Fifth Respec: 1p 30g
    • Sixth Respec (and thereafter): 13 p
    [/QUOTE]

Just one example:
    [IMG]
    All other whips in the EQ2Players item database that I've checked are also considered swords. :)
    *Edited to update respec cost*
    Message Edited by overfloater on 03-07-200610:02 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Itazzy Guest

I've found that another good usage of the walk the plank is to throw in a stun or root after you throw it on. That way you will definately be able to get off all your back attacks or can at least take a slight breather to down a healing potion without having to move from where you were standing originally.
  7. ARCHIVED-tawek21 Guest

Great post. Consolidating useful info as a single reference to AA's is a great idea, especially if you can find the time to keep it updated.

I think the best way to improve it would be links to useful posts. AA's are fairly complex, so, unless your post becomes gigantic, you'll only be able to post a summary. You'll also find it nearly impossible to keep the information up-to-date. But if you post links to threads that cover things in detail, people will be a click away from the info they need.

A couple of suggested links:

SOE FAQ http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/news_ff.vm?FeatureName=achievements&section=development
    (Note: they tell us that "Looting rare treasures" also gives AA points)

A post on swapping weapons:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...id=achievements&message.id=109&jump=true#M109

If someone can find a good post/thread on shields, that'd be useful. A brief one I found from a quick search was:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...d.id=items&message.id=53249&query.id=0#M53249
    (except I understand that's changed a little, that Crusaders can use all shield types now)

Also be good to suggest threads relevant to each branch.

WIS:
    WIS AP Line - Good Swashy One Handers FAQ :
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=33&message.id=9812
    STA:
    Stamina-AA combos for light tank/solo/dps
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=33&message.id=9547

and so on...

Might help the OP if people suggest other links, which he can pick from to cover the main areas people have problems with.
    Message Edited by tawek21 on 03-06-200611:47 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-revva Guest

How do I earn AA points?
    You earn AA points by completing non-repeatable quests of your level, completing collection quests, discovering new areas (and areas that have been reset), killing certain named mobs of your level for the first time, and once you hit 70, all adventure experience will go towards AAs.

Shouldn't this be any non-repeatable quest level 20 and higher.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ookami-san Guest

I can't confirm this. It may be possible to get credit for older quests by mentoring down. I haven't heard anything one way or the other. Plus, level 20's can benefit from level 19 quests I believe.
  10. ARCHIVED-revva Guest

I will check to verify this. I am only 24 atm. the only quest I have gotten any AA credit from are 20 and up. Any of my 17-19 quest so far have just given me regular xp.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ookami-san Guest

If you can confirm the information on the quests, I can add that to the faq.
  12. ARCHIVED-dagoo7 Guest

This has sticky-bait written all over it ...
    Shameless really.
  13. ARCHIVED-StarryEyedElf Guest

w0rd
  14. ARCHIVED-revva Guest

I did 5 quest last night . 3 were below 19, 1 was 21, and the other was 24. I only got AA xp from the 21 and 24. I was still only level 24 when I did the turn in for them.
  15. ARCHIVED-Purgle Guest

blue or above non repeatable quests i think count.
  16. ARCHIVED-dagoo7 Guest

I also gather that any quests below lvl 20, including collections, do not count regardless of how they con to you even if adventure level is over 20. Similarly, I believe you don't get credit for exploration discoveries in the generally below 20 zones, eg. Commonlands, Antonica. Not 100% sure on these, but don't believe i've got any "below 20" credit on any of my lower alts that are 20+.
    Message Edited by dagoo7 on 03-07-200606:33 AM
  17. ARCHIVED-Sabatini Guest

I can confirm you dont get AA experience for any quest made blue through mentoring. Not sure about named mobs who are made blue by this method.

One other really good way to get AA experience that is not mentioned is from those 'Looted xx Treasures' that drop. The ones that previously were only good for selling. Not 100% of them give AA experience but many do if they're over level 20 drops. The interesting thing about this is that they're body drops not chests, and you can get AA experience even if looted off a completely grey mob (thats over 20). I've also gotten it off status item body drops but it seems less consistent.
  18. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

Yep, I only realised that the other day when I dinged an AA point randomly in the middle of killing mobs -- seems the Xegonite relic I looted gave me just enough AAxp to tip the scales. I haven't really paid attention to drops and AAxp since then, but I keep meaning to!
    Also dropping a link to the official introduction to Achievements on the EQ2Players site.
    (and editing my eariler post about respec costs to reflect the new prices)
    Message Edited by overfloater on 03-07-200610:00 AM
  19. ARCHIVED-Gwenevie Guest

Concerning Sailwind... isn't it true that auto-attack is effectively off while casting CA's? If so, then Sailwind would represent a small overall increase in DPS too as your auto-attack would run more in the period of time between recasts of your burst CA's. You would see slightly higher procs and poison rates too. But only if the assumption is true (no attacks while casting CA's).
    Lunette
  20. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

It's true that CA casts suspend autoattack... but I'm tempted to say the actual difference would be negligible in practice.