Swash utility - help deciding on class

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Theodrec, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Theodrec Guest

I play on Nagafen. I have played ranger since game launched and re-rolled when pvp launched and have generally loved the class. I have played many non-scout classes in addition but find I am addicted to tweaking my dps, watching the parse etc. I just like doing damage but also have learned I prefer melee to spellcasting.
    However, I am tired of having zero utility at the same time. So in my perfect world I want a melee class who does good dps, who has group/raid utility that does not come at the cost of button mashing (ie healers and inordinate amount of debufs/bufs IE bards), has good survivability, and has more raid desire than my ranger (which often equals none).
    Rogue seems a very good option but I am uncertain about their utility. I hear it will get better with SF (with brigs having to share some of their utility?) Is this the right class for me?
  2. ARCHIVED-Delowen Guest

Read this, it should give you a good idea about the Swashbuckler class and our utility/abilities.
    As far as raid desirability, you will generally see 1-2 swashbucklers on a raid if that depending on how the guild functions and the encounter. If the encounter is a heavy healer and tank fight only the top end DPS will be brought in, so Assassins/Rangers for scouts (not to say we arent pretty good DPS we just arent T1). If its an AoE fight we are favored in general, but we are really the rogue class that can be left out without it affecting the raids abilities. Brigands have something that keeps them wanted (dispatch) we just have hate transfer and offensive debuffs which are not that major.
    Debuffs are already pretty plentiful on raids as it stands from other classes (almost all of our CAs have debuff components). The most important thing we have is our DPS and AoE DPS, Traumatic Swipe and Lung Bleed are the 2 debuffs we have that really matter. We do have very good survivability depending on your equipment in raids.
    I'm not trying to turn you off to the class, I think swashbucklers are a fun class to play personally. We are good soloers, great in groups and raids, just don't expect what utility we do have to assure you a raid spot on every raid encounter. It really will come down to how well you play the class that determines how desirable you are in a raid.