Support for Voice Chat

Discussion in 'Voice Chat Support' started by ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

All of this information can be found here
    http://soe-ing.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...p?p_faqid=19246

Why do I sound loud or distorted to other people?
    You may find that some other programs require you to turn on +10 mic boost in your Windows audio preferences. Because of this, and you may need to disable it.
    To disable +10 mic boost enter your Windows Volume Control panel. Make sure Advanced Controls is selected in the Options menu. Select Options > Properties from the menu and select the Recording option. Verify that the Show Microphone is checked, then click OK. Choose the Advanced button below your microphone volume slider, and uncheck the +10 mic boost box from the following screen.
    What ports does Voice Chat use?
    By default, Voice Chat uses ports 5062 and 3478.
    Why can't I hear the voice prompt and/or myself while running the echo test?
    Try the following troubleshooting tips:
    • Check that your microphone and speakers are plugged in properly.
    • Make sure that external volume control on the headset is turned up and is not muted. If this doesn't fix the problem, check Windows audio controls on your computer. Go to the Windows Start menu and select Control Panel, then select Sounds, and then Audio Devices to ensure that the audio is not muted and the audio level is turned up.
    • Try turning off your firewall. If that fixes the problem, then open the following ports on the firewall:
    • Incoming UDP ports 3478, 5060,5062
    • Outgoing TCP port 80 and 443
    • All destination UDP ports 12000-16000
    • If DNS test failed, please contact your Network Administrator to check your machine is registered correctly in the DNA server.
    I got an error message that said "SIP transaction timed out", what do I do?
    The problem could be caused by a firewall interfering with the connection. Try turning off your firewall. If that fixes the problem, then open the following ports on the firewall:
    • Incoming UDP ports 5060 and 5062
    • Outgoing TCP port 80 and 443
    • All destination UDP ports 12000-16000
    This problem can also be caused by a DSL modem (e.g. the Westell 6100 DSL Modem) with old firmware. If this is the source of the problem, please contact your modem vendor to request a firmware upgrade.
    Why is my audio quality bad?
    • Poor audio quality can be caused by a lack of bandwidth or CPU. Ensure that there are no bandwidth intensive applications, such as BitTorrent or Limewire, running on your network.
    • You may also want to check Windows Task Manager: Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up Windows Task Manager, and then check the Performance tab to ensure resource availability (i.e. CPU usage below 100%).
    • Hardware issues such as a poor microphone connection can also degrade audio quality.
    I can't hear anything at all and/or no one can hear me, what should I do?
    The first step would be to verify that your headset or microphone is working correctly. If they are working fine with another application, please ensure that the volume is up in your in-game options.
    My voice chats keep getting dropped, what can I do?
    Dropped voice chats can often be due to home router firmware bugs. Upgrading the firmware of the router and/or rebooting the router sometimes fixes the problem. VoIP protocols don't function correctly in networks that include some types of NAT transversal or firewall components. The result is that calls can have one-way audio or fail. One-way audio usually results from a double NAT issue or an unfriendly NAT transversal being used on the network. VoIP itself presents a problem for NAT because the normal protocols it uses deal with the signaling and establishing of the connection.
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

Disable Voice Chat tutorial
    put the following in your eq2.ini
    cl_show_voice_tutorial 0