SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Isn't that redundant? ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Silly rat boy, we're not anywhere near Hawaii yet. ;->

Uwk
    a huge fan of the Safety Dance, both the song and the video (rare!)
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Mmm, fruit wine. :D

(Not to be confused with regular wine made with grapes [fruit]... ;->)

Uwk
    who far prefers sweet over dry wines, and so really loves the "fruity" ones :)
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Woot! Welcome to the madness! :D

And yeah, New Mexico is a fascinating state; I can easily see us moving there once Da Hubster retires. Either that or Washington state, which he'd probably prefer (wet and cold). Hmpf. :-/

Maybe we can spend summer up there and winter down in N.M. with the rest of the snowbirds? :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ow ow ow ow ow. Hugs! :(

I don't recognize the name, so you'll have to do a bang-up monument and book for him! Tell us all about him; share his story. :)

Nice to know the kids weren't hurt, but yeah, in an accident, first you call 911 (or just the Highway Patrol/local cops if no one's hurt; in So. Cal., we have a special number to call just for freeway tow people to get you to a place of safety. They strongly recommend NOT LEAVING YOUR CAR unless it's a matter of life and death [or it soon will be :-/]). Then you call the insurance company. Period, end of sentence (it may even be a requirement here in L.A.-La Land; it's been awhile, fortunately). :-/

And yep, the insurance company is the final say on what happens to the car. Lucky for me, the most recent one I was in (totally not my fault; the company agreed with me and all I was out was the $250 premium for an awesome body repair job :D) agreed that my car was able to be saved. I'm still curious as to how the kids managed to total a Hummer... :-/

Uwk
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Silly, all we need to develop real film is a few pans of chemicals and a place we can keep completely dark, briefly. I'm sure we can find a place like that somewhere in the bigger-on-the-inside bus! :D

Making the slides from the negatives might be a wee bit trickier; I always just did prints. ;->

Uwk
    who also recommends sticky mats for shoe soles, like the ones outside of clean rooms, but that might get grungy fast in the desert...
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Shark...? o_O

Dude, you are in Hawaii. The rest of us are in New Mexico. :-/

Uwk
    who had no idea the bus was that big...
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Well, he did get gamma'ed in New Mexico... ;->

Uwk
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Is the dreaded White Fungus hitting the southwestern bat colonies? :(

And don't ever worry about bats flying in your hair; with their excellent echolocation capabilities, the only reason they might get close to you at all is a) saving you from a mosquito or black fly, or b) getting a surprise whack out of the air from a panicking human flailing around unpredictably. :-/

Santa Fe sounds immensely cool! But with the huge artist event coming up in Santa Fe, maybe we should hit Taos first, and be in a perfect position, time-wise, to hit the event when it happens? :D

Uwk
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Unless you're seeing him from behind or off to the side in the room or outdoor area you're in... :-/

I still remember him doing a guest bit on the Jack Benny Show as the mayor of a very odd town Jack suddenly found himself in...

"You're the mayor here?"
    "Yes, they named the place after me. I'm Mr. Zone."

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, when did Dude join us? :D Belated welcome, Dude! :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  12. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting all the things in between that I missed Uwkete I still can't see any posts from yesterday but reading all the quotes you put up gives me some idea.
    I hope this problem is fixed.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I believe the volcano isn't near the Vallis Marineris. That valley looks like a glancing blow by a large comet or asteroid. The astronomer speculation I have watched talked about the Martian core cooling off, loss of magnetic field, and the solar wind then removing the Martian atmosphere. Discovery science channel.
  14. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I took a course in B&W photography decades ago. We developed and printed our own film. It was ASA100, but I don't remember what it was called.
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Yes, apparently the dreaded white fungus is hitting the bat colony, so everything has to be clean, every time you enter the cave system. And I was worried about uncaring or just plain rude individuals that have no respect for rules perhaps bringing electronic devices that would cause issues for the bats and their "guidance" systems.

It might be better to go to Taos and stay there and port to Santa Fe and visit what we wish to there since it will be a madhouse there with their art festival?

I also know that coming up 25 August through 02 September, Burning Man is in Nevada. And we have to be in Utah for our visit to Evermore no later than a week from today 16 August 2019. So maybe we should swap Utah, Nevada and Colorado around? Unless nobody wishes to see Burning Man.
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

they burn a giant puppet in new Mexico the Friday before Labor day
    and there is a only once a year a year one week long Native American art fest going on in Santa Fe unless that's what your talking about when you say an art fest , yea good thing we can just port there
    Sounds like I got to get busy putting some stuff together about Nevada Utah and Colorado just the basics I guess.
    well or go to Taos that sound good too .

goodness our relaxing trip just turned just into a crazy tourist dash .
    But don't forget the time warp :D.
  17. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Morning ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Welcome to the ROAD TRIP Dude and Pixi!! And Schmet, I am so happy you can see again, I think maybe Ttobey put a smokescreen over you!!

Another Friday has arrived on our ROAD TRIP and we are still in Carlsbad, New Mexico. The King's Palace Cavern this morning was glorious. This cave is the largest and deepest of the caverns open to the public and has a variety of formations including stalagmites, stalactites, flowstone, helictites, cave bacon, draperies, columns, cave popcorn, and soda straws. We also experienced a cave blackout to see what it was like for early explorers who only had a candle for light. These are the four caves included in the King's Palace Cavern Tour:

The King’s Palace

The King’s Palace is the first of four chambers in a cavern wing known as the scenic rooms. It is named for a stunning large castle-like formation in the center of the 100 foot tall room. When we entered the King’s Palace, our whole tour group was invited to sit on concrete benches while our tour guide shared history about Carlsbad Caverns and the discovery of this area of the cave.

The Papoose Room

The Papoose Room is located between the King’s Palace and Queen’s Chamber. It is a smaller cave room that looks sort of like a mini version of the King’s Palace. Large stalagmites rise up from the floor, hundreds of stalactites cover the ceiling, and a unique formation that looks like a WITCH'S BROOMSTICK can be found in the corner. (had to capitalize that for emphasis so Ttobey would see even nature is telling him what needs made)

The Queen’s Chamber

The Queen’s Chamber is considered the most beautiful of the four scenic caves. In this cave chamber, you can see delicate onyx formations that resemble the texture of lace and filigree. The rock curtains, fit for a Queen, include a 40-foot tall drapery column called the Queen’s Drapery.

After looping around the perimeter of the Queen’s Chamber, we once again traveled through the King’s Palace, this time on the opposite side of the room. On our way to the next room, the Green Lake Room, we passed a cute rock formation called the Bashful Elephant.

The Green Lake Room:

The Green Lake Room is the uppermost of the four scenic rooms. This cave room is named after a deep, malachite (copper carbonate) colored pool in the corner of the room that looks like a small green lake.

In the 1940s, the military considered Carlsbad Cavern as an emergency fallout shelter. During tests, Green Lake was used to look for ripples caused by an atomic bomb test many miles away and because none appeared, it is believed that Green Lake Room could be a viable shelter in case of a nuclear attack.

During our way out of the King's Palace the Ranger did the following:

A Total Black Out

During our tour, the ranger was carrying a small lantern but didn’t use it until we walked into a large sweeping curve in the trail lined with a long bench. Once we all sat down, all lights in the cave were turned off and we were in total and complete darkness. We couldn’t even see a hand lifted in front of our face.

While we sat in total darkness, the ranger told us about how the first explorers entered the cave with nothing more than a single candle. He then turned on the small lantern and we saw the rock formations in the room just as the first people who entered the cave did.

The total darkness was pretty cool, but nothing compared to the extraordinary speleothem formations we saw throughout tour.

I thought it would be nice if I detailed at least one of our adventures in Carlsbad instead of just saying it was outstanding or something. This way people not with us could get a mental picture somewhat of what we saw.

We are now an hour in to our Left Hand Tunnel Tour and I tell you, I am certainly glad this is virtual, as I am much more coordinated and physically fit. Having gone on disability 7 years ago and no longer being a death row prison yard dog, I am not as fit as I was, or as Tobey Keith sings, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was". But have just completed 10 weeks of physical therapy on my arms and shoulders, I can probably still knock someone out, not that I would. But I can again lift, more than I weigh which is a good thing!!!

We have another hour in the Left Hand Tunnel and then we break for lunch. After lunch, at 1:00 pm, we have Spider Cave, don't worry Breanna, I asked, it is not named because it is full of spiders, or I would not be going. This is a 4 hour tour. So we will be going back to the visitors center at 5 pm again and then returning to the hotel to shower and change before cocktail hour and dinner. I am going to send all my clothes to the Hotel Laundry today so that everything I have been spelunking in is freshly laundered. They said that there is a bag in each room with your room number on it, simply write your name on the tag as well and your freshly laundered clothes will be returned by 9 pm tonight all folded and everything. If you want them ironed or starched or anything, just check the boxes on the tag.

I have scheduled cocktail hour for 6 pm and dinner for 7 pm at King's Fish House here in Carlsbad. Don't worry, they have cheeseburgers and steak if you do not like seafood and if you are vegan or Ratonga that do not like meat they have a wide range of salads with nuts.

Following dinner, we have the rest of the evening to enjoy the hotel amenities. I will copy the schedule for tomorrow from above:

Saturday

8:00 am Slaughter Canyon Cave
    1:30 pm Lunch
    2:30 pm Living Desert Zoo in Carlsbad

Then Sunday, we will head to Taos, New Mexico and stay there and port to Santa Fe to see what we wish to visit there as there is the Whitehawk Antique Indian & Ethnographic Art Show going on this weekend.

We have to be in Utah for our visit to Evermore on 16 August 2019. And if anybody wishes to go to Burning Man in Nevada that is 25 August through 02 September 2019. So we will either need to move Colorado behind Utah and Nevada or keep Santa Fe short and move on to Colorado on Tuesday. The only thing I had planned for Colorado was The Stanley Hotel. Which was the inspiration for The Shining after Stephen King stayed there. The only things I had in Utah was Evermore and Zion National Park. Give me your opinions, as I am still a bit cog fogged by everything that has occurred.

*checks that the group is all together, looks over and giggles at Ttobey spelunking with the rest of us and enjoying himself immensely even though he wont admit it, readjusts the time delays slighty, makes sure her own spelunking helmet and light are in good working order and catches up to the group*
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

are you kidding me's no meat * ,... , * I's loves meat I's kill for bacon yesh I's like nuts but bacon , BACON ( good thing we don't haves any piggys in our group ) .
    I will look up those 3 close by stats after all they are all in the same corner , so we can still hop around .
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have lights, some bright, some dim, and some half way inbetween.
  20. Breanna Well-Known Member

Ok if you promise there are no spiders, I'm in :cool:
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.