SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah! Old MGM cartoon, back when they did that too, along with Warner Bros. and the Disney shorts (Goofy was always my fave of those; "he [could] take a punch like nobody's business!" or something like that). :)

Maybe Joe had seen that one, too, and did his own take on it... ;->

Uwk
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Not a thing! :D

Uwk
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  3. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Tex Avery FTW!
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yeah, had to be Tex Avery. I have his DvD of cartoons.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

*giggles* I love your story Schmet. Breanna, I hope you managed to get some sleep!! Who got room 217? Are we missing anybody?

Good Afternoon ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Here we are in Pleasant Grove, Utah. We have visited Emerald Lake which is at the base of the tongue of the Timpanogos Glacier. This Glacier is termed a stone Glacier now as most of the ice is covered in stone debris. There are still glacial crevasses which range from 40 feet to well over 100 feet deep in the glacial ice which is buried at least 3 feet under stone debris. There are 3 glacial ice fields that merge into a central tongue. When the water in Emerald Lake is a very deep crystal blue, you are seeing the glacial ice beneath it. This Glacier is believed to be the last non-extinct Glacier in Utah. But as with most other things, humans are causing most of the destruction to this Glacier. They climb to the top and instead of walking to descend, they slide down, and sliding down is what is bringing all of the stone debris down which is damaging the lower portions of the glacial ice, in effect killing it.

Now we are off to the Christa Mc Auliffe Space Center. I had no idea this was here. Again Schmet comes through with her research. Without her, this ROAD TRIP would not have been near as good, what with the IRL stuff going on for me, I thank you from the bottom of my Snarky Wood Elf heart Schmet. After the Christa Mc Auliffe Space Center, I think it will be time for Evermore to open. The Space Center closes at 6 pm and Evermore opens at 6 pm. I thought we would just eat, drink, and be merry in Evermore as I think it is probably where we fit in the most!!! Evermore closes at 10 pm and then we will return to our hotel.

There is a bar in the hotel which again is the Fairfield Inn & Suites Provo/Orem. It is open until 1 am. I was surprised by this because I thought the Provo area was in a dry county. But according to the Marriott people, there is a bar/lounge in the hotel.

Tomorrow morning, I thought we could use another of Rosy's suggestions and go to Bridal Veil Falls which is located at the South End of Provo Canyon. Its got a paved trail from the parking lot and its easily accessible. Then we can port into Provo and visit the Museum of Paleontology and the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum. Then before Evermore opens, we can visit Provo Towne Centre for some more SHOPPING. They have a lot of different things there. A Candy Barrel, Ice Cream, Laser Tag, Axe Throwing, many stores to buy appearance clothing, a lot of shops to buy accessory items like sunglasses and such. A theater, a community art center where you can go in and make your own art, an art shop that sells art made by students and alumni of the university, a bit of something for everybody, so again the Cabana Boys will be standing by to take our purchases to the luggage trailers!!!! Again we will be eating and drinking at Evermore from 6 pm until 10 pm and then returning to our hotel.

*casts the group speed buff, passes out need hats with a glacial crystal structure on them to everybody, stealth's over and puts Ttobey's new hat on him, and stealth's back, points to the table beside her with a myriad of hat boxes on it of various shapes and sizes and tells everybody to take as many as they need to hold all of their new hats and some for future new hats, double and triple checks the time delays and then relocks the security cover before shouting*

Alrighty ROAD TRIPPERS, lets get the show on the road and head on down to the Christa Mc Auliffe Space Center.
  6. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I have hiked on Timp, but never been as far as Emerald Lake or made it to the top (I was a reluctant hiker as a child).

May I suggest University Mall in Orem instead of Provo Towne Centre? University Mall is larger, and the "main mall" around here... ;)
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

We can set the time delays longer and hit both of them.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

darn a little to late for this one
    Provo :
    located 45 miles south of Salt lake City Provo is known for it's abundance of natural beauty, a prestigious university and fast growing economy.
    Provo is the third biggest town in Utah and consistently recognized as one of the best places to live , work and play , in the US.
    " Bridal Veil Falls " is a 600 foot tall waterfall in several tears . There used to be a aerial tramway to the top and it was considered the steepest tramway in the world , but an avalanche destroyed the machinery in 1996 .
    " Provo Canyon " you can go hiking , fish , ice fish , ice climb ( people like to climb bridal veil falls ) or simply be enchanted by the beauty of this place.
    " Museum of the Peoples and Cultures " at Brigham Young University houses , anthropological, archaeological and ethnographic artifacts from past and present times.
    "BYU Museum of Paleontology " was designed as repository for the rock and dinosaur fossils collected by Dr James A Jensen.
    " Rock Canyon "
    the canyon is filled with hiking trails , interesting geographical formations and deep caves.
    " Seven Peaks Waterpark " slides lazy river and other of the usual.
    " Crandall Historical Printing Museum " educates about all aspects of printing .
    " Provo Beach " friendly adventure park near the shops at Riverwoods
    the main attraction is their Flowrider a device that lets you go serving indoors
    other attractions are things like laser tag and a carousel.
    I am sure Rosy knows this town better than any of us , but I thought " the shops at Riverwoods looked nice to wonder around in .
    "Pioneer Village " gives visitors a taste of early life in the city.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

An old geezer, who remember the space primates and dogs, along with the crew of Apollo 1, finds a place and places a wreath at the Christa Mc Auliffe Space Center. He salutes. ( have to use his old Boy Scout salute, he isn't in the Navy anymore. )

He looks up at a virtual night sky, and sees all the glittering stars. Some of his ancestors called them the campfires of the Old People. Others called them stars, galaxies, and solar systems.

Ad Astra ! To the Stars !

He then quietly walks, or teleports, to the rest of the places to visit.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ad astra per aspera. To not continue to have manned missions would be an insult to their memory. :-/

The critters and Apollo 1 were slightly before my time, but I've heard about them (as have science fiction writers, who propose better endings for the critters that "disappeared." :)). Unfortunately, I remember Challenger and Columbia, and wish they hadn't happened, "but the High Frontier is a frontier still." Still dangerous, but still worth it.

Uwk
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I remember a 'science' reporter claiming that the rockets wouldn't work as their was 'nothing for them to push against in the vacuum of space'. My grandfather, who didn't have much education, told me about Newton's Third Law. So I knew, at a very young age, that the reporter was wrong. Well, it was all new back in the early 1950s.

We were promised retirement homes on the Earth's Moon, no later than the 1980s. Ah well, I'll take one on Mars instead.

"Oh, to be outside on an asteroid,
    as it floats along,
    my space suit keeping me warm and breathing,
    as we zoom along,
    seeing the flicker of space ship engines,
    crossing the solar system,
    and the bright light,
    of the first star ship,
    heading out beyond !"
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

It has already been a very busy morning. So far we have been to Bridal Veil Falls which is located at the South End of Provo Canyon and then we ported into Provo and visited the Museum of Paleontology. Now we are breaking for lunch at the Provo Towne Centre so we can do some of our shopping here now. They have a lot of different things here, A Candy Barrel, Ice Cream, Laser Tag, Axe Throwing, many stores to buy appearance clothing, a lot of shops to buy accessory items like sunglasses and such. A theater, a community art center where you can go in and make your own art, an art shop that sells art made by students and alumni of the university, a bit of something for everybody Then we will visit the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum. Then off to University Mall in Orem for some more SHOPPING. The Cabana Boys will be standing by to take our purchases to the luggage trailers!!!! Then we will be porting back to Pleasant Grove for Evermore when our time delays hit 6 pm local time. Again we will be eating and drinking at Evermore from 6 pm until 10 pm and then returning to our hotel.

Tomorrow, we will continue our exploration of Utah, by porting to Zion National Park at the South Entrance which would be accessible from I-15 through St George to State Route 9 through Virgin and Rockville. We will stop at the Zion Visitors Center and then the Zion Human History Museum, Canyon Junction, Court of the Patriarchs, Emerald Pools Trail. We will stop for lunch at the Zion Lodge, the continue our drive through the Grotto, Angel's Landing, and Temple of Sinawava, this entire drive should take with the stops about 2 hours. Then we can port over to the Kolob Canyons Visitors Center at the Northwestern Edge of the park. We will have some great views of some of the arch formations from this visitor's center.

After Zion National Park, I have found Capitol Reef National Park in Torrey, Utah. This is what is known as a Waterpocket Fold or a geologic monocline which is basically a wrinkle on the earth, this one stretches more than 100 miles. There are natural cliffs, canyons, domes, bridges, fossils, ancient orchards, and more here. I thought this would be interesting for all of us as I do not know of anybody that has actually been to this National Park. We can spend as little as an hour here or as much as the whole afternoon here and we can set our time delays extremely long as we have been doing, we can get lunch and dinner in Torrey, and they do have a night Astronomy program at this park if we wish to see that. If we wish to see the Astronomy program, I suggest going to Riverwoods after Zion and then porting to Capitol Reef. Let me know what you all prefer to do!!!!

*passes out new hats to everybody with the Evermore Logo on them and various Races such as Dwarves wielding axes, Elves wielding bows or daggers, Ratonga wielding daggers, humans wielding swords, has Breanna sneak over and put Ttobey's new hat on him since it is Saturday and he isn't paying attention anyway, double checks the time delays and relocks the security cover, casts the group speed buff, and shouts*

Alright everybody, we have shopping to do before heading to the next museum so we can then go and do more shopping before going to Evermore and eating again and doing more shopping!!!!!
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Salt Lake City :
    this goes without a question , " Temple Square , with the main Mormon Temple and the Tabernacle "
    Only members of the Church of Later Day Saints can enter the Temple and they have to be 21 years old and do some soul searching and secluded meditating before they can enter . I the Temple they can than always speak with god in a private room
    and L D Saints can get married for eternity here a regular marriage for only live can take place in a Tabernacle.
    The Tabernacle is the home of the renown Tabernacle Corus . Others can explore pretty much everything else on the Temple Square.
    " Utah State Capitol Building "
    " Salt Lake City Public Library "
    this is a one of a kind architecture with a 6 story walkable wall of glass and interesting art work all through.
    " Summum Pyramid " home of an obscure religious group that beliefs in mummidication. Summum offers mummification services for people and pets and also brews very special nectar.
    " Gilgal Garden " garden filled with amm interesting sculptures including a sphinx with Joseph Smiths head.
    " Raphael Plescia's Christian School " obscure passaged of the bible come to live. Raphael even dug down in his basement all the way to the ground water and some lost souls are reaching out of the pit of doom .
    you can visit his creations on Friday afternoons and even see his work in progress .
    " Red Butte Garden " is a botanical garden and has workshops and concerts.
    " The Pioneer Memorial Museum " is the final resting place for many of the objects Mormon pioneers carried with them on their westward journey to the promised land.
    " Solitude Speedway " located in the Salt Palace this is an enormous image of the salt flats made entirely from tape .
    the piece of wall art is 32 feet by 8 feet .
    " Social Axe Throwing " toss real axes at targets ( don't give an axe to ttobey ) and yes there is one of this places in Provo too .
    " iFly Utah " indoor sky diving without having to jump out of a perfectly good plane .
    " Brewvies " forget about popcorn when you go to watch a movie in this theater here you grab a pint of craft beer and some nachos or pizza and go and watch the movie .
    "Antelope State park " hiking & hoseback riding a historic house and one of the largest free roaming herds of American bison .
    " Ensign Peak " go there for grand views of the city.
    " Bonneville Salt Flats " visit one of the most unique features in Utah' stretching for over 300000 acres.
    " Great Salt Lake " is the largest salt water lake in the western Hemisphere and only slightly less salty than the dead sea
    at least for now.
    Looks like I got to post all the info I found so far to give Cyrrena a better idea what's all out there .

I have a feeling our Summer trip will end in Utah just to much cool nature and interesting man made curiosities
    to see in Utah and Colorado.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lovely place for an astronomy lesson, but that's just me! :)

And being a lover of simulators over real roller coasters by a mile, I'd love to "sky dive" in iFly. ;->

So many awesome things to see! Who knew (well, besides Schmet, of course, who did her homework)? :D

Uwk
    Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sleeping under the stars is what I like to do. Well, in a tent. Wouldn't want any sudden mosquito group to carry me off.

Bonneville Flats is where many go to break the land speed record.

I have been to movie theaters with pizza. Ah, Ye Goode Olde Dayse.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Morning ROAD TRIPPERS!!

Here we are at the Zion Lodge in Zion National Park, just starting our break for lunch. So far we have been to the South Zion Visitor's Center, stopped at many scenic overlooks, the Zion Human History Museum, Canyon Junction, Court of the Patriarchs, and Emerald Pools Trail. This park is magnificent. I have glanced at the menu in this lodge and everything looks yummy and I should be deciding but, I am indecisive today!! Maybe I should just order one of everything and then whoever is hungry after their order can peck at the rest? After we finish our lunch we will continue our drive and go through the Grotto, Angel's Landing, and Temple of Sinawava and then port over to the Kolob Canyons Visitors Center at the Northwestern Edge of the park to view a lot of the arches. With our time delays, it will only be noon local time when we leave Zion National Park.

After we leave Zion National Park, we will be porting back to Provo to visit Riverwoods, per Schmet's suggestion. The have a rare bookstore, an art store, a furniture consignment store, a kitchen and gourmet chef store, a cookie store, jewelry store, a bakery, a chocolate factory, a creamery, and more!!!!

Then, we will be porting to Torrey, Utah to visit Capitol Reef National Park. This is a Waterpocket Fold or a geologic monocline which is a wrinkle on the earth, I guess it should have a least 1, it is very old. There are natural cliffs, canyons, domes, bridges, fossils, ancient orchards, and a night sky Astronomy program. I have scheduled us for the Astronomy Program this evening. We will port back to Torrey for dinner prior to the Astronomy program.

I cancelled our hotel in Provo/Orem for tonight and booked us into the Grand America in Salt Lake City tonight through Tuesday night. We all have the Presidential Suites, Virtual Currency, we might as well have the best!!!! Rosy, I also got a Presidential Suite for your parents, so they can come along!!!
    I figured we could see the sights on Schmet's list for Salt Lake City on Monday and Tuesday and return to Colorado on Wednesday.

Did anybody want to go to Burning Man in Nevada on the 25th?

*shows everybody the myriad of new hats on the table next to her and tells them to take 2 or 3, they have Candy Barrels on them, or they look like you have an Axe through your head, some have giant ice cream cones on them, some have tankards of Ale on them, and a lot of HooDoos on them, stealth's over and puts a new hat on Ttobey that makes it look like he has a giant ice cream cone on his head, giggles, and stealth's away, casts the group speed buff, triple checks the time delays before relocking the security box, we wouldn't want the time delays messed up with so much to see, and tells everybody that she has to get back to looking at the menu so she is ready to order her lunch when the server gets to her*
  17. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I'll take an Ice Cream Hat Wahooo ! That ought to cool me brain down. Aooogah !

What do mean its not real ice cream ? Oh, well, mine is. Non-drip of course.

The beautiful rocks at Zion National Park. Hope my gigabolt camera card can hold all of the pictures.
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I loved Evermore loved it besides people kept on telling me's to take that fur costume of because it's to hot.
    Uwkette , Cyrrena is a very good travel organizer and has made's the trip very much fun , I only give her a hand here and there , because she has enough to do already .
    I's only list stuff Cyrrena goes into detail .
    Here are all National parks including the one wer's in for you' s to see the stars Geroblue .

Arches National Park : north of Moab
    Erosion of red Entrada sandstone has created over 1000 natural arches , the largest of which , ( Landscape Arch ) has a span of 290 feet .
    Arches NP also contains , spires , thin rifges, narrow ravines and many other fantastic rock formations , separated by flat sandy desert. A 1.5 mile path leads to " Delicat Arch " the most photographed site in the park .

Bryce Canyon National Park :
    The world famous formations were formed by erosion of the pink cliffs , a sandstone layer forming the edge of the Pausougunt Plateau in southwest Utah.
    Thousands of strange , fragile hoodoos in subtle shades of pink , white , yellow and red extend for 25 miles along the cliffs,
    seen from above by paved scenic drive , or from close up via a network of trails you can also ride down on the back of a
    mule with a guide so you don't get lost , because like the first owner said Bryce canyon is a good place to lose a cow .

Canyonlands National Park :
    Utah's largest NP , covers a vast region of road less wilderness .

Capitol Reef National Park :
    Like most of the parks in south Utah this park too features vast areas of colorful erode rock formations, UT 24 crosses the middle of the park and gives access to various viewpoints and trails.

Zion National Park :
    This is perhaps the most spectacular of the many geological wonders in Utah .Sheer red and white sandstone cliffs rise 2'500 feet above the Virgin River , constricting up stream to form one of the best slot canyons in the USA . when it rains dozens of temporary waterfalls fall down from the surrounding cliffs .
    The ravine is just one part of a 150'000 acre NP that also contains mountains , plateaus and many other narrow canyons.
    Zion is one of the best hiking locations in the state' including the famous Narrows trail along the upper Virgin River , and the precipitous rout to Angels Landing . I though it was amazing that there are port a potties even up on mountains
    and I have seen rangers with backpacks full of toilet paper hike up and replenish the supplies every day or 2 .

The Narrows:
    The Narrows are the tightest section of Zion Canyon . This gorge , with walls a thousand feet tall and the river sometimes
    just 20 to 30 feet wide is one of the popular areas in Zion NP.
    You can see part of the Narrows by hiking along the paved wheelchair accessible " Riverside Walk " from the " Temple of Sinawava " .
    Bring close tip shoes and a walking stick ( there are often bunches parked by the end of the paved walk way ) and a jacket
    it can get cool in the Narrows , if you want to go father .
    You will have to hike in the river over often slippery rocks sometimes the water can be as high as your arm pits .
    you can walk in for only 10 minutes or go for the all day 10 mile roundtrip hike .

Bear Ear National Monument : covers 1.35 million acres in southeast Utah

Cedar Breaks National Monument :
    High in the mountains above Cedar City Cedar Breaks NM is centered on a steep , bowl - shaped cliff face eroded intothe west side of the Markagunt Plateau, quite similar to nearby Bryce Canyon ( though much less visited ) and the coloring more vibrant , with multicolored limestone strada and strange rock formations .
    The monument has a short scenic drive , and a selection of trails.

Dinosaur National Monument :
    protects an extensive wilderness around the confluence of Green and Yampa Rivers on either side of the Utah and Colorado border .
    The area is most famous for the many large dinosaur fossils that were excavated from just one location close to the Green River near Vernal . The discovery site is now enclosed by a building .

Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument :
    The small town of Escalante is surrounded by some of the most rugged yet beautiful country in Utah.
    The Main attraction are dozens of narrow canyons.

Hoven Weep National Monument :
    preserves the remains of six villages from the pueblo period .

Natural Bridges National Monument :
    Three , large natural bridges and some Anasazi dwellings are the main attraction of this park, located just of
    scenic highway 95 in south Utah. the park is also close to other beutyful landscapes such as white Canyon and La Sal Mountains .
    The bridges can all be viewed from at a distance from the road , or up close by hiking a short but steep trai

Rainbow Bridge National Monument :
    the natural arch spans a narrow canyon close to the south shore of Lake Powel in " Glen Canyon NRA
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

puts on non slip water shoes grabs a motorized wheelchair and zips on down the paved path to the end .
    chains wheelchair to a post and grabs backpack and pulls out a floaty ring with duck head and blows it up , next adorns herself with floaties for both arms get's 2 walking sticks from a small pile and waddles into the river , there , ready .
    Puts in big toe and slips and falls into river aaaaaahhhhhhhiiii cold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    after a wile huddling by the side of the river get's her Duck hat and heads of into the water again , get's dirty looks from people around , I show you casts ice beam on the river and walks on top , my, my , what strange weather we are having in the middle of August .
    The sun melts the ice path quickly but by now I am used to the cold .
    keeps on wading through the water and walks around many bends and finds a gorges waterfall and a pool with lots of people swimming and having a picnic on a sand bank .
    It's beautiful I wished I could share this with my friends , no wonder people like this hike so much .
    After going up for 2 hours Schmetterling gets her behind inside the ring and floats down the river to where the rocket wheelchair is parked.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'll take a HooDoo hat, Cy! :D

And sounds like a fun side trip there, Schmet! Does that wheelchair have a roll bar? Sounds like it should! :)

Uwk