SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Amazing. Another family that changes the weather when they travel. I thought I only knew of one.

edit:

Oh, if any of you are still beading, and cannot find beading graph paper, I found some on a beading company web site. It has their logo on it (upper left corner), but here it is. Yes, beading graph paper is different than regular graph paper.

https://www.firemountaingems.com/resources/encyclobeadia/charts/9201
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Different big time, it is; instead of squares formed by intersecting perpendicular lines, each "square" is in the shape of a bead, either a long vertical N/S oval for things like loom work, or different horizontal arrangements, depending on the type of stitch (peyote, brick, herringbone, etc., all of which can be done without a loom [and some are only possible off a loom]).

Bead embroidery is like any other type of embroidery, just using beads instead of thicker embroidery floss (vs. thread) as the main decorative element. The backing for such is also usually more sturdy, since that much glass (or even gemstones, set in and embroidered around) gets to weighing quite a bit after awhile. ;->

Uwk
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am the person that every time I set foot in Montana or Wyoming a beautiful sunny day turns into Hail Storms with baseball sized hailstones. The first time it happened I was on my Harley and got hit on the nose by one before I could get under an underpass, had a bloody nose for an hour and then 2 black eyes and a bruised nose for a week.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yikes!! :eek: Not the sort of weather you want to be the goddess of! :-/

Almost sounds like you'd had a broken nose, or close to it. Sheesh! :-/

Uwk
    who wore a full-face visor on even a moped helmet, just in case ;->
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Here we are in Estes Park, Colorado, all checked in for our night at the Stanley Hotel!!! I wonder if we will see any of the ghosts? Room 217 is the one that is supposedly the one that is the most actively haunted. I hope none of you got that room!!! So far this morning, we have seen Snowy Peaks Winery and Distinctively Colorado, Unique Food and Gifts. Right now, we are finishing up a delicious lunch at The Barrel, a German Style Beer Garden with German Food!!

After lunch, since we only have today here, I have our time delays set very long, we will be visiting the following from Schmet's list:

The Taffy Shop
    Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
    Elkins Distilling Company
    Grandma's Mountain Cookies
    Laura's Fine Candy
    Purple Mountain Company
    Mountain Blow Glass
    Patterson Glassworks
    Red Rose Rock Shop & Dick's Rock Museum
    Estes Ark
    Real West Old Time Portraits
    Open Air Adventure Park

Most of these are places to shop for house items and food!!! Candy, cookies, liquor, etc. so that shouldn't take long. With the delays I have set, we will have weeks inside but be done by 6 pm local time.

I have scheduled cocktail hour at 6:15 pm and dinner at 7:15 pm at Rock Cut Brewing Company. They have pub type food, burgers, etc and lots of craft beers as well as a full bar. This is a special opening for us, they are not normally open at this time. After dinner we go back and begin our night at the Stanley Hotel. There is a coffee shop where we can have dessert until 10 pm. There is also a gift shop open until 10 pm. There is a full service bar open until 1 am. There is also a full service restaurant that opens at 9 am. So we can have breakfast at either the coffee shop or the restaurant in the morning before we port to Pleasant Grove, Utah. There is also a movie theater within a 5-10 minute walk from the Stanley Hotel so if you are in the mood to see a movie you can do that as well.

We will be staying in the Fairfield Inn & Suites Provo/Orem. Everybody has been booked into a King Suite. We have these reserved through Monday night so we can explore Schmet's list for Utah before returning to Colorado on Tuesday. We will just port to the park entrances and then drive with moderate to long time delays such as today.

*passes out hats to everybody with Jack Nicholson as John on them with his axe and if you press the bill it says "Honey, I'm Home", stealth's over and puts Ttobey's new hat on him, and stealth's back, looks back at Ttobey and giggles, casts the group speed buff, double checks the time delays and makes sure to lock the cover over them so mischievous Ratonga Animators cannot change them, and shouts to all*

Alright ROAD TRIPPERS, we have shopping to do and the Cabana Boys are standing by to take all our purchases back to the luggage trailers!!!
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

Um Room 217 you say? Gulp! That is right across the hall I have room 216
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Oh, Uwkete-of-Crushbone. I really don't know how to finish bead loom pieces. I find books that show how, but I don't have that many hands and arms. At least that is what I got out of the process.

Weeks inside... I have wanted, from time to time, to scare a ghost. Not in a bad way just 'Hello Guvnah !' and see if that frightens them.

What ?
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

puts on long white night shirt , a Vail and floating slippers , and floats down the hallway to Breannas room . crackles maliciously.
    comes to a hold in front of Breannas room and begins to moan .
    A light orb comes floating out of room number 217 and bounces up and down in front of Schnetterling
    " o yea you don't scare me Sparky " Schmetterling pulls out her super soaker and begins to spray " take this "
    ha ha ha muahaha muahaha. Suddenly Schetterling gets as white as a sheet when she looks up and sees Cyrrena
    soaking wet in front of her with a very stern look on her face . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAHHHHH run run run , " now that was scary "
    Grabs the shed key and hunkers down there for the night .
    The door rattles and somebody pounds on the door , " I's are not in here "
    "open up this door" calls a booming angry voice , with shaking legs Schmetterling walks over to the door and
    unlocks it nothing happens .
    Slowly Schmetterling opens the door but she only hears the wind and some dogs howling near by .
    " it was not me honestly , I did not do it , it was ammm ttobey yes it was him .
    Nothing happens and Schetterling keeps on moving forward .
    You can here crickets chirping. slowly Schetterling makes her way on not really knowing where she is going .
    as she rounds a corner a dark shadow moves by in front of her yikes " I's don't tast's good "
    Schmetterling get's to the pool and gratefully enters the light around the pool area and suddenly
    6 or 7 creatures jump out at her and dump big buckets of ice water on her .
    Guess the joke's on me . and lots of cold water too .

there is another haunted room in the hotel besides 216 , 418.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

One thing a cat doesn't want to hear in a dark room in a haunted house.

"Chirp !" really loudly. Must be a 500 pound canary.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! You've been listening to Joe Bethancourt's song about the "500 Pound Mouse Blues"? ;->

In the first verse, he's strolling along, yelling out, "HERE, KITTY, KITTY." Later meets up with a 500 pound canary that says, "TWEET, TWEET." Lastly, he's stomping around like "somethin' out of a Japanese Godzilla/Rodan monster movie," comes around a corner, steps right on the tail of an EIGHT THOUSAND POUND CAT WEARIN' HELL'S ANGELS COLORS... "Oops!" :eek:

("That'd give a 500 pound mouse a lotta blues real fast, I'll tell ya that...")

"That's the tail of the 500 pound mouse...'cause that's just about all the cat left...it was messy..."

Uwk
    who, prior to going to sleep in the haunted hotel, makes sure the door has a peep hole (no opening it blind, thanks) and checks the charges on the proton pack and ghost trap next to the bed... ;->
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

wow Pleasant Grove ist ein verschlafenes Dorf . ( a sleepy village ) I bet they roll up the sidewalks once Evermore closes for the season.
    here are some things besides the amusement park I was able to find .Pleasant grove has lots of nature and I will not name every mountain or canyon around.
    " Christa Mc. Auliffe Space Center" I been told this is a fun place to visit .
    " Tithing Office " the building is a registered historic place.

hike up to " Battle Creek Falls "
    " American Fork Canyon " home of " Timpanogos Cave National Monument .
    " Timpanogos Glacier " if it has not melted away by now .
    " Emerald Lake "
    " Scout Falls "
    " Provo Canyon "
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, Christa McAuliffe was one of the Challenger astronauts. :-/ I didn't know she was from the area! :)

Whatever you may think of Utah or anything about the humans there, for good or for bad, their scenery has always been stunning. When I was a kid, we hit lots of the state and national parks and monuments and had a grand time. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  13. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Bridal Veil Falls - my mom and stepdad drive up there a couple of times a week. ;) It's maybe 10 miles from our house.

Christa McAuliffe was from New Hampshire. My folks were teaching in Florida at the time of the Challenger disaster, and were actually present watching the launch. My dad recognized immediately that something had gone wrong. :confused:
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Ooh... :(

And lucky you! So close to a 365/year flowing falls! (except maybe in the winter?)! :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

It does freeze, or mostly freeze in the winter, Uwk! The falls actually have a fascinating story. It used to have a restaurant up on top, with tram cars moving up and down - when they were building the restaurant, a young man drove a 'dozer off the mountain and was killed - left a young wife and a baby.

I rode the tram once in the '60s.
    https://mysteryofutahhistory.blogspot.com/2013/08/back-when-switzerland-like-thrill.html
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yow! One wondered if he did that deliberately or not... :-/

I'm not sure why stuff like the tram isn't done any more; was it considered too dangerous? Did interest in it die down (can't imagine why; not everyone is squeamish about heights the way I am...)? Was the restaurant closed down when the power plant went in? :-/

Uwk
    who's actually kind of glad they don't do the Fire Falls thing in Yosemite any more... :-/
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  17. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I always wanted to see the Fire Falls, but my first trip to Yosemite was well after they quit. :(

An avalanche wiped the tram out in the late 1990s. And the news clipping I read awhile back said he backed off - it appeared to be accidental. :(
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, they looked cool, but after all the drought years, there's no way they're gonna do that again, unless Yosemite Valley turns into a jungle. :-/

Aw! :(

Uwk
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sorry, never heard of that song. I saw something like this in an old cartoon where a cat and a canary, carefully drawn so they didn't resemble Sylverster and Tweety Bird, along with a bulldog, found a growth potion. One would drink it and chase the other two, then one of those being chased would find another bottle, and grow bigger, chase, etc. All 3 of them wound up bigger than Earth.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Soooo, what is stopping a virtual fire fall ?