SUMMER ROAD TRIP 2019

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Buys an alpaca and loads it up with Indian rugs and jewelry , put's on a poncho and some handmade moccasins Ratonga sized and heads on over to get some freshly backed Apache fried bread some acorn stew . traditionally they put in what ever meat they could get I wonder how squirrel meat tastes ? don't say " like chicken" .
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Probably like rat... ;->

Uwk
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  3. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

well Uwkete , so how does rat taste ? or do you only eat Friskies ?
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Corn flower jewelry with turquoise. Maybe a bracelet or four. Two pounds of light blue seed beads 11/0 for backgrounds, Comanche color. One pound of snow white seed beads 11/0 for trim and outlining.

A parfleche or two.

Fry bread ! Yum !
  5. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

you should really try the acorn stew I made some several years ago at an international party at our church in California
    and there was nothing left in the end ( it's also a lot of work but today most people use beef . maybe buffalo) .
    You got's to grind's up the acorns into a meal. than you have to rinse the meal over and over and squeeze out all liquid
    till most of the tannin is washed out of the meal I used a none fussy dish towel to push all the liquid out
    Than you cook the meat and shred it. you use any juice that came out of the meat and make a gravy with the acorn meal and
    the meat juices and spices as you like . cook it all together and serve with potatoes or bread or rice or pasta if you like.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Oh my Schmet, you are adorable in anything you put on, I wish I was that adorable. I look more like Breanna's Hulk form all the time!!! The Whitehawk Art show was outstanding, I bought a ton of rugs, kachinas, a bunch of jewelry, a few pairs of Apache boots, and some other items for appearance wear as well as some paintings!!! Good thing we have Cabana Boys as I did not think of an Alpaca. Gero, you should post pictures on your site of your beadwork, I think we would all love to see it!! I tried the Acorn Stew, it was good but not really to my liking, but the Fry Bread with powdered sugar, I could have sat and ate that all day!!!

So far this morning we have been to the Santa Fe Indian Market, which was fabulous. I found a lot more different rugs and some other items that would be great for decorating like baskets, papoose boards (they look like the Othmir papoose boards), and a lot of different pottery. We have started touring El Rancho de Las Golandrinas which is a living history museum of a Spanish settlement. I like to see people showing others what history says were the methods utilized by various cultures at periods in time. After we leave here, with our time delays set as they are, it will only be 1 pm local time and we can port back to Santa Fe, have lunch and visit the Kakawa Chocolate House and La Lecheria homemade chocolates at one shop and ice cream at the other.

Then we can port to Alamogordo and visit New Mexico Museum of Space History - Home of the International Space Hall of Fame. I did not even know this existed and I am very curious as to what they have included in their displays. After that, we will port to Los Alamos to visit the Bradbury Science Museum. Yes, Uwkete, from Ray Bradbury!! I did not know this existed either, so both of these will be a treat for me. I was not really a Ray Bradbury reader, I was more into Stephen Hawking and just plain old Physics and Astrophysics texts. I taught myself a lot of stuff before I ever started taking classes. I loved to read all of the papers of Albert Einstein, I was happy that he translated a lot of them into English prior to his death because being born and raised in Ireland, I did not learn German, the English across the channel learn German and French as soon as they start school, but the Irish do not. At University, I took Ancient Greek and Ancient Latin and then Italian. In the older Irish families, we learn Celtic and Gaelic in the home but until 1993-1996 it was against the law to speak or write it outside of the home. Then we started seeing things like Guarda on police vehicles and such which was the turning point where the people knew it was becoming acceptable to speak and write it outside of the home. I could go on and on, but back to our trip!!! With the time delays set as they are, we should finish everything by 6 pm when the Bradbury Science Museum Closes.

I have scheduled cocktail hour for 6:15 pm and dinner for 7:15 pm in Los Alamos at Pajarito Brewpub and Grill. This place has it all!!! After dinner, we port back to Taos to the hotel and its another evening of being potatoes and just lazing about.

Tomorrow, I thought we might do mini ports to a bunch of other places Schmet found during her research, before we pop over to Colorado to visit the Stanley Hotel, I have booked us there for Wednesday and Thursday night, these were the only days I could get for us at the Stanley Hotel until the week of Christmas which is out, so I grabbed them. I will look for things to see close by, then Friday we will be porting to Utah, for our visit to Evermore. We can port back to Colorado after Evermore, its just that our visit is on the final weekend they are open for the year. Anyway, my idea for tomorrow:

Earth Ships in El Prado, New Mexico
    Mesa Prieta Petroglyphs in Velarde, New Mexico
    Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness Study Area in Bloomfield, New Mexico
    Tinker Town in Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Bosque Redondo Memorial, Billy the Kid in Fort Sumner, New Mexico
    Musical Highway, National Museum of Nuclear Science and History in Albuquerque, New Mexico

We can set the time delays really slow tomorrow and take our time and get all of it in without wearing ourselves out. We can port the buses to the exact mile marker where the Musical Highway begins for that on our way to the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History.

I did some extra secret shopping yesterday with representatives of 6 different tribes and these were just delivered to me from by the Cabana Boys!!!!

*passes out Authentic Chieftain Headdresses to everybody, not everybody has the same one as there are 6 tribes represented, stealths over and puts Ttobey's Chieftain's Headdress on him and uses a clothespin to tack up the feathers so they don't drag on the ground, then stealths away, casts the group speed buff, readjusts the time delays to make the afternoon longer and shouts*

Alright ROAD TRIPPERS, Ray Bradbury is waiting for us!!!
  7. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Taos is a preforming arts hub , and is gorges to go shopping for crafted things and you can also participate in creating artifacts yourself . Taos has a lot of festivals too , but it seams they make a break so people can go to those in Santa Fe.
    In winter Taos gets average 305 inches of snow and has plenty of skiing and snow shoe trips and such winter delights.
    Taos has lots of yummy good food and drinks .
    "Taos Mesa Brewing " offers up to 12 of their beers on tap at any time and many other beers from the local area.
    " the Kid Carson House " the house of Josefa and Kid Carson is lovingly restored to how it looked like in the 1800ds.
    " the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge" walk to the middle of it and look down into the 650 foot gorge to the Rio Grande below.
    Taos Clay Studio " they are dedicated to spreaing contemporary clay culture . they host lectures , workshops and events to bring the love of pottery to the willing .
    " Taos Pueblo "
    do not miss visiting the possibly oldest still lived in village in the US. take the guided tour through this amazing settlement , believed to be the fabled city of gold by the conquistador Hernando Alvarado .
    To keep the authenticity the residents are not allowed any electricity or running water , water has to be gathered from the river .
    the Pueblo is a designated National Historic Landmark and a world Heritage site of UNESCO .
    " La Hacienda de Los Martinez " another family home gone museum . this big ranch was also restored to colonial Spanish times and the live of those days is shown to visitors by interpreters.
    " Wild Earth Lama Adventure " cuddle up with a cute Llama for a fun short trip or a longer hike , this Llamas are not for riding , but for logging your gear .
    " Rio Grande del National Monument " the land is of volcanic origin and has several volcano cons and interesting formations.
    " Los Rios River Runners " offer rafting trips down the Rio Grand . The guids are from the pueblo community and also offer Feast and Float trips , a more tranquil voyage down the river .

again I was only able to give you an idea of all the " ueber " things you can do in this our country.

just a short note about Utah , most of the things in Utah are all about Nature and the Land .
    " Zion National Park "
    " Arches National Park "
    "Canyon Lands National Park"
    " Bryce Canyon National Park "
    " Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument "
    " Capitol Reef National Park "
    " Cedar Breaks National Park "
    " Natural Bridges National Monument "
    " Dinosaur National Monument "
    " Dead Horse Point State Park "
    and last but not least
    " Monument Valley "
    also worth seeing
    " the Great Salt Lake "
    " Great Salt Lake Bonneville Salt Flats "

all this places are crowded into Utah and I have seen most of them and they are well worth seeing.
    the main cities but by no means all worth seeing are
    " Salt Lake City "
    " Park City ", " Moab " and " St Gorge "
  8. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Park City is maybe 60 minutes from me. Moab is a few hours away, and St. George is about four hours...
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

O...M...G. :D

That sounds tastier than just about anything. :D

Potatoes would be fine for a Native American dish, considering they originated here (well, South America, but imho, it still counts...like tomatoes; it's amazing who must've been the first brave soul to try the tubers and fruits, respectively, of Nightshade family plants). ;->

And yep, acorns were/are a huge thing for the Native Californians. :)

Uwk
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'm into beadwork as well (probably not nearly as experienced with it as Gero; I can always use more tips!), mostly embroidery and loom work, so I too would love to see what Gero can do! :D

I'm a big fan of 11/0 at the most, though I hear you can do nice fringe work with the li'l teeny 15/0...like metal gauges, the bigger the number, the smaller the bead. I think I'd need a jeweler's loupe to muck about with 15's now. :-/

I love living history places; was, briefly (one summer), involved with our Renn Faire people down here in So. Cal. as an apprentice to a master, ah, "manual iron worker artisan" (because if you say, "blacksmith," the only thing people think of is, "Oh, so ya make them horseshoe things, right?" "Er, no; being a blacksmith simply means you work in iron and steel."). That was a fun experience, but how we got screwed over at the end by the heads of the event was not. Haven't been back since as a worker. :-/

Cool! I hope they named it for him while he was still alive, so he could be jazzed by it! When the French tapped him as a Commander in the Legion of Honor, he wore his official ribbon and medallion from them at like every lecture he gave, he was so thrilled. :D

I'm very jealous you got to take Greek and Latin; I'd wanted to, I think I would've done better in biology if I had, frankly, but my odd Transfer Student schedules wouldn't allow it. :-/ I'm glad they're finally allowing the native Irish languages there; I know that was a huge thing, especially in the 1800s (last I knew), but I didn't know it took THAT LONG to allow it widespread! :(

As someone whose most recent "foreign" blood was from Wales, I'm extremely smug that pretty much every sign one sees in Wales (or Cymru, properly) is bilingual: Welsh (Cymraeg) first, then English (Sassanach [EDIT: actually, Saesneg...close]? ;)). ;->

I wish...sigh. Got a chance to see him a few times, what with talks and book signings. Still miss him. :-/

Uwk
    proudly wearing an Authentic Chieftain Headdress :D
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

yea Uwkete that's where the recipe came from and I think my stew came out really good , because we got those giant acorns
    that have almost no tannin in them to begin with. so they are almost not bitter at all .
    there are other recipes you can use acorns for but the stew is the best known ..
    Native Americans used acorns to get something like flower and there are some grinding rocks in Northern California where generations of American Indians pounded their acorns into pulp each family had their hole some got pretty deep .

one day I want to go back to California and bring some of those giant acorns with me and grow a tree.
    when my little brother died some years ago ( he was only 50 ) we planted a native oak tree in our backyard in memory of him , but it's not the same .
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And we got showed in a lecture that if you accidentally smacked rock to rock in the grinding and pounding, rather than rock to acorn, it was considered really clumsy bad form and everyone would laugh at you. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Only have two items on my beading site: http://beading.drivein-jim.net/ One small and one very large that needs to be restrung as the cotton thread is falling apart.

I now have fishing line and wire to work with. Just have to start that back again. Had to build a loom of wood and finishing nails. The finishing nails to string the thread on.

edit:

There are more than two items there... the menu at the top of my site. look at the 'project list' and see links to all of them. The large sunbrust is 182 beads wide and rather heavy.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

We lived on 4 1/2 acres in the hills between Marysville and Grass Valley for three years. Had a few oaks on the place and there was a small grinding rock secluded beneath them. I thought it was very cool.
  15. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Those are gorgeous!!!

This link (actually is a Pinterest Link so it has lots of pictures but I am just looking at the trees under the Bell Domes) is to a picture of a Christmas Tree under a Bell Dome. I made 2 of these, one for my mum and one for my grandma. They were larger than this as they both had tree skirts with gifts under the tree and small working trains going around the base the Glass Bell Dome rested on. And both had working lights on the trees and the Christmas Star on top of the tree lit up as well. I do not know who took the one I made for my grandma or the one I made for my mum, they died 17 hours apart and nobody will own up to who took the trees. I suspect my brother's ex-wife took my mum's tree.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw39oa2kVOmG2hZ2ZfEolyu0&ust=1565815006307687

This looks like a 12" tree. The ones I made were 24". All glass seed beads and wire. I have never seen anybody else do 24" trees so they could have working trains, they always just put little trains on just a small piece of track that just sits there, I wanted the train to work. Then I put gifts in the cars of the train and then had an open passenger car and put Elves in it and the Engine was open enough to put a Santa in there. My kids loved to push the button and watch everything light up and the train go around with Santa and the Elves.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Thanks.I have to keep the sunburst in a sealed plastic container, otherwise the beads will fall everywhere.

Back, a long time ago, I played with an early ray tracing 3D graphics program called DKBtrace for the Amiga computer. I made a Christmas tree with spheres for decorations. Later I used Pov-Ray free ray tracer software, but I wound up it taking up too much of my time. And stopped using it.
  17. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Isn't summer over yet?
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I have an idea for a "loom" of sorts, after seeing how many 0's were attached to the prices for dinky little ones that looked like miniature cloth looms. Not sure how to set it up, but: you need something to string the...warp? threads/wires onto, the ones that provide the anchor lines for the design (the weft or woof threads are what carries the colors of the design, or in a simple cloth weave, the right angle threads going across and interacting with the warp threads), with some way of tying off the loose ends of them (the part I'm mostly stuck on). So, my brilliant idea was to get two long-ish (like, 2-3 feet long) pieces of the screw thread metal rods you can cut up to make your own "bolts" and other fasteners out of. You hang one up from just about anything: a branch outside, a hook from a beam in the ceiling, the equivalent of the ceiling in the Mistmoore Crags Estate, whatever, then string your warp down to the lower rod, and voila! You have a potential "tapestry" that's as wide as the screw thread bars, and as long as gravity and space allow. ;->

How do you do yours, Gero? We can talk about it in a PM or another thread (heh!) if you want. ;->

Uwk
    who is also hampered by not knowing how to finish off a loomed piece; hence, the embroidery, too :-/
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Do you have any pics or film of them, Cy? They sound wonderful. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Not until the Autumnal Equinox, according to the solar calendar. ;->

I guess most folks count Labor Day weekend, but I think Cy would probably agree with me. ;->

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Rosyposy like this.