Summer Breeze - Lavastorm Portal - Maj'Dul (Video Tour)

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Febrith, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Febrith Well-Known Member

Super cool and a great use for this home:)

Niboota and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ghost peppers are pretty much what it says on the tin: if you aren't used to MASSIVELY HOT peppers, it has the potential to literally make a ghost out of you. Seriously. People have been hospitalized from these damn things. Aka Bhut jolokia, according to Wikipedia, it's "cultivated in ... Northeastern Indian states. It is a hybrid of Capsicum chinense and Capsicum frutescens," or, basically, two of the usual suspects for chili peppers, but this takes it to a whole new level. According to another article, "capsaicin [the active "hot" ingredient] is actually a neurotoxin and in large enough concentrations can cause seizures, heart attacks, and even death.

"The hottest pepper in the world is the bhut jolokia chili pepper, also known as the ghost pepper, and according to Dr. Paul Bosland, the man who discovered it, enough of this pepper in a short period of time can surely kill you.

'A research study in 1980 calculated that 3 pounds of extreme chilies in powder form — of something like the bhut jolokia — eaten all at once could kill a 150-pound person,' Bosland told Live Science. 'However, one's body would react sooner and not allow it to happen.'"

But capsaicin does kill bacteria and fungi trying to spoil food, so hence hot climates tend to have hot, spicy food. :)

That's probably what all the poison bottles were for: the boss trying to up his tolerance. :D

Uwk
    Juraiya, Breanna, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  3. Spirit Active Member

I am impressed with the knowledge possessed by Nwk on this one ,,, however , just to help clarify, it's also true that the peppers are grown along property lines in India to keep elephants from wandering into farmers fields to graze , they have sensitive skin and do not wish to even brush against the plants.
    and of course due to extensive brain damage I have a bottle of the hot sauce in the fridge i use in chili as it has a very good flavor.
  4. Niboota Well-Known Member

Your videos always make me feel as though I should be sipping tea and eating biscuits in a leather coated library while standing by a large picture window watching the London traffic.
  5. Febrith Well-Known Member

Lol - my accent isn't London! I was born in Yorkshire and then lived most of my life in the south of England - what we call the Home Counties......but I kinda like the picture you drew there:) I would really love a personal library!
  6. Niboota Well-Known Member

I can't distinguish between the various British accents, unfortunately, but that's the imagery your voice/accent gives me! I've probably seen too many movies with British men in pull overs and sports coats standing in large home libraries with leather bound furniture talking about history or archeology!! It's PBS's fault!!

By the way... do you have the same issue with American accents? There are probably just as many American accents as there are British accents! And while we're on the subject.... Do I have any particular accent that you've noticed? And what do Americans sound like to the British anyway?? Do we sound silly? Uneducated? Uncouth? Certainly we can't sound sophisticated - or at least I can't lol. What's the general opinion on American accents over there!?
  7. Febrith Well-Known Member

LOL!

Accents are intriguing. My own personal opinion is that I LOVE the American accent - I can't get enough of it and could listen to it all day. It's definitely not a silly, uneducated or uncouth accent - hell no! I watch a ton of American TV - far more so than British programmes, and so my points of reference come from that really. I'm a huge fan of the Southern accent and manners, anyone who wanted to call me "Miss" or "Ma'am" or "purdy" and I'd be putty lol!

I can certainly distinguish a Southern accent (Texan, N' Orlins etc) from Noo Yoik for example, but flounder a bit in the middle - like, I couldn't tell Missouri from Utah. Also, don't throw tomatoes at me, but Canadians tend to sound American to me, unless they give themselves away by saying "aboot" or something and then I geddit:)
    To me your accent is not Southern nor Northern as I would recognise them, however, from the things you say, I'd put you from the south.

And honestly, we've picked up so many Americanisms that I think it's part of our everyday life here - I know I use them all the time, and not ironically - I often talk like a surfer for fun though I'm so rubbish at accents that I fall off it after a few words:)
  8. Niboota Well-Known Member

ROTFL you're "rubbish" at accents! Love it! That's a totally British word to use! I am actually from the mid-west, which does have it's own accent, though it's subtle. A person from the mid-west can be better identified by word use, which is probably what you are talking about. For example we use the word "pop" instead of "soda" like the rest of the country. Normally no one notices any sort of regional accent when I speak, but every now and then someone will say "Are you from the mid-west?" LOL.

I can't tell when someone is Canadian most of the time, unless they say "aboot" as well!! Unless they have the French-Canadian accent. I can definitely hear the difference between that and actual French. I can hear the differences in British accents, but like I said earlier, I'm just not familiar enough with your geography to know which comes from where! You have the more sophisticated sounding accent. There is one that I just plain can't understand - the Cockney accent - WHOA! It's like a foreign language!! Of course the person I was talking to may have had an especially thick accent. That can happen with deep southern accents here. I have trouble understanding that one as well!

I had to ask how the British feel about American accents, because I have noticed on many occasions that a British person will imitate an American accent with a redneck flare (which cracks me up), so I've always wondered if that's how we sound to the rest of the world!
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

I have to admit to two things:
    1. I use the edit button to correct mistakes. :rolleyes:
    2. I sometimes just listen to the tours to hear Febrith's voice. :)
  10. Febrith Well-Known Member

[quote="I had to ask how the British feel about American accents, because I have noticed on many occasions that a British person will imitate an American accent with a redneck flare (which cracks me up), so I've always wondered if that's how we sound to the rest of the world![/quote]

I think we do that because it's an easy exaggeration of the accent. A couple of years ago I told Shanette that I was going to do a spoof video using an American accent - and I did practice really hard - (thank you Youtube and your "How to speak like an American" videos) but I was soooooo terrible, I can't even tell you. I ended up having a massive coughing fit after cracking myself up so hard that coffee actually came out of my nose when I was listening back to a test. It's a very hard accent to do - imagine Dick Van **** in Mary Poppins - I was the equivalent of that! Needless to say that video got deleted:)

And thank you, Dude:) /beam
  11. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

You mean summers eve? :p
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean. :rolleyes:
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Was going to say the Spousal Unit says she is a Yorkie girl. … I am not, I am a Dubliner so I sound nothing like a Londoner or a Yorkie girl.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

You should definitely be able to tell Missouri from Utah, Missouri has a slow drawl to it and a bit of twang, no such thing in Utah, basic and non-descript.

Cockney is from London way, which is the South. Yorkies are Northerners. And please never tell an LU person that MU is better. The Spousal Unit wishes London would disappear from the English Map. For me the worst that I ever ran into as far as attempting to understand were the Welsh. Drop 57 letters 1 of which may be a vowel in a bag and drop them out on the table, line them up in no particular order and pronounce what the resulting letter string is. I have tried every which way there is to understand them without continually saying beg pardon, excuse me, huh, et al, to no avail.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's not true, we have plenty of vowels...if you count "W," which you certainly should ("double-oo"...right? ;->).

Imho, the Irish have too many vowels and not enough consonant sounds... ;->

Uwk
    bound and determined to start a Celtic language sub-groups war for her great-grandfather's honor :D
    (and who has a Californian accent [somewhat influenced by Mom's Midwest {Indiana} accent on occasion; we'd been confused on the phone in the past], hence the So. Californian "like" peppering even my writing ;->)

P.S. Southern accents are fairly easy-ish for British folks to imitate, from what I understand (at least, pro actors), since a lot of the South was originally settled, especially in the mountains, by Scots/Irish/Welsh folks. :)

And Texan accents are amalgams of Southern and Western; for most of the rest of the West, California really doesn't count, much like Florida for Southerners, I think. It was hysterical trying to convince my Florida classmates in the 5th grade (I was there very briefly) that I didn't have any accent, being Californian (and not Valley Girl), that they were the ones with the accents... "What're you talkin' about? We ain't got no accents, you got the accent!" --U.
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Niboota like this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Awesome Indian farmers! Definitely better than our preferred method here in this country ("Shoot anythin' that ain't yer own critters.")... :-/

And remind me never to get in a spicy food eating contest with you... :D

Uwk
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Niboota like this.
  17. Niboota Well-Known Member

ROTFL!!! I would have loved to see a video of you spewing coffee through your nose!! ;)
  18. Febrith Well-Known Member

I have no idea how on earth he would pick up on that - I have no trace of Yorkshire left at all as I left when I was very young - and although I live in the North West now I've tried very hard not to pick that up for obvious reasons lol.
  19. Febrith Well-Known Member

Only twice in my life have I had such incidents and both were EQ-related! The first one involved being in a group in Miragul's with friends at 1 in the morning when I was eating cornflakes (I like my cereal at bedtime, I know it's weird) - when Tal said something hilarious and I had to AFK for like, 10 minutes to clean myself up. BTW, cornflakes hurt, even when they're soggy:(
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

He can sense it. I couldn't hear it. I said no she isn't. I said Southeast, not London but probably the coast South and East of London.

He had his Dad and his sister watch your videos and they said the same thing, they live in Morley, that you are a Yorkie girl. So you must have some trace of it in some words you say or something, no idea really.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Febrith like this.