[Suggestion] Tone Down and Eliminate Racism in Norrath

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sigrdrifa, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Zen Master formless, shapeless

It is what it is.
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Nucleaar Member

So Sigrdrifa do you expect all races and alignments to hold hands and sing kumbaya because it hurts your feelings?

Do we rewrite the ENTIRE history of Norrath over thin skin and low comprehension of a fantasy fiction video game? He** let's get em all while we're at it. Let's burn down Lord of the Rings because orcs say mean stuff.
  3. parissa Well-Known Member

Maybe... lol... we have elitism, racism, whinerism ( i see a time out didn't do anything for that, forums were quiet atleast for a couple weeks) religion, etc... If they even come after my lucan and antonia statue, the war will be on... I have lost so much respect for some of the really good players who have had to drag thye politics and BS into these forums and in gen chat (atleast I can shut that off)... Its to the point now they just need to have a section specifically for complaints of the real world... :mad: But my solution to wanting a character close to yours would be try the fallout series.... No matter what the skin color or thickness you won't ever look like a arasai or froglok...
    Louly, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  4. Nucleaar Member

I'll chalk the subject of this thread to whinerism..
  5. parissa Well-Known Member

If they change norrath because of this... I'm gone... Seriously the game is how many years old... and you JUST NOW have an issue with it... Change it, because you can't mute the npcs or put the npc chat on a different page when you zone in... Before you say I shouldn't have to... We shouldn't have to put up with the changing of our game because you decided to drag the world problems into our norrath... It didn't bug you in the beginning, so don't try the it bugs you now crap.... You are starting to act alot like the bean....
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Confused... I always thought this was a game.
  7. parissa Well-Known Member

Me too kitty.... seriously I do not ever want to see a THICK troll chasing me down the street... :eek:
    Dude and Breanna like this.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

LOL I was thinking the same thing Parissa.
    Moonpanther, Dude and parissa like this.
  9. Melt Actually plays the game

So this kinda ties into the current running trend of eliminating "evil characters" from games because they supposedly perpetuate stereotypes (see orks in Dungeons and Dragons) but I think that despite how little merit that has, criticisms over the system of good and evil in EQ2 have even less.

Freeport, for instance. Quests there involve, but are not limited to: Bombing a military base, killing your own dog, murdering various city officials.
    Neriak quests involve, but are not limited to: kidnapping children, murdering homeless people, killing children who are bullying others.

Is it seriously difficult to see why people from a place like Qeynos, a normal medieval city, would be the tiniest bit skeptical about someone who was born and raised in an area where murder, kidnapping, and terrorism are common?

All that aside, I agree with the boob slider.
    Dude likes this.
  10. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Going back to look at what you actually said, not what you claim you said:

You said you didn't "need" a boob slider. There is a notable difference between need and want. Reading comprehension.

Can you confirm if you still hold this view on attire for females? (For others, Seidhkona=Sigrdrifa):
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...arance-armor-for-females.503529/#post-5586577

You claim that you don't "need" boob sliders, but you want "at least" certain amounts of shape customization and skimpy attire to wear while you go around slaying thousands of innocent lives in cold blood, then turn around preach about racism in a high fantasy medieval MMO? Things that make you go Hmmmm!
    Dude, elflover, Priority and 2 others like this.
  11. Leloes Well-Known Member

All I can say is......SERIOUSLY.........
  12. Lionnhart New Member

Most of Norath is at war with one another. Of course there are going to be some hatred, and animosity. i.e Orges and Trolls eat halfings.... so it makes sense they hate each other.

If you really think about it, EQ2 has one of the best systems for faction mechanics. If the npcs dont like you, they wont sell to you and may even tell you to get lost......that is part of the lore of the game. if you want that to change, you can do actually do something about it by building up that faction. There are ways to literally ways to build up every faction in the game.

If you want your DE pally to be accepted and saluted in Qeynos, do the work. build up the faction with the townsfolk, and the qeynos guard. they will salute you in no time. There are no entitlements in the game, you have to earn everything.

Btw: im all for boob sliders.... lol. you cant argue inclusiveness with body sizes, and try to slutshame me out of making an RolePlaying thot. lol.
  13. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Sanctus Seru is a city filled with literally brainwashed citizens living under the rule of a misguided paladin who genuinely believes that Mithanial Marr sent him on a mission to ERASE EVERY TRACE OF EVIL FROM NORRATH-- This means every last Dark Elf, Troll, Ogre, Orc, Gnoll, Goblin, Vampire, Bugbear, Kobold, Sarnak, Iksar, Arasai, and everything else-- for the greater good of the Combine Empire. Take a look around at the citizens in Sanctus Seru and you will see there is not a single "evil" race living among them. The only Troll who shows up is in the Echelon of Order zone, and he's been convinced that everyone around him is a Sambata.

Recuso Tor is filled with former citizens who have been outcast from Sanctus Seru because their ideologies stray too far from the city's laws or prove to be resistant to the luminaries mind control methods. They would be killed if they tried to enter back into the city.

The Age of Discovery expansion that added the Withered Lands, Cobalt Scar, and Skyshrine into the game included the storyline of Qeynos and Freeport reaching a tenuous, very uneasy alliance to create the New Combine Empire and put their differences aside to focus on the imminent threat of Kerafyrm. The races may work well together on a surface level, but as soon as Kerafyrm was dealt with, both sides called off the alliance and went back to being cold war enemies with each other-- in no small part thanks to Lucan's temper. Antonia was left feeling a fool to think that she could ever make anything long-term work out with Lucan D'Lere.
    Leloes, Benito and Breanna like this.
  14. Shesaz Active Member

15. Nuggetmachine Member

-takes a long drag off a cigarette-

What the h'yuck is this?
    Louly, Argosunited and Snikkety like this.
  16. elflover Well-Known Member

ROFL, I'll be laughing the rest of the day..thank you.
  17. Almee Well-Known Member

I can see Sigrdrifa's point of view as I held the same view for a long time when I was playing D&D, on the kitchen table, with my husband and teenage sons. I was concerned that various groups were being stereotyped instead of being evaluated for their individual behaviors. This outlook was found very amusing to my family of blood-thirsty males.

I value diversity and try to find the good in everything. The rain that destroys a bride's life-long dream of an outdoor wedding, can also save a farmer's field that is parched. What is good for me may be bad for you and vice versa.

I wish the people of the world would learn to live peacefully together. I wish we would stop killing animals for food. I wish for a lot of things that simply aren't going to happen because being mortal means that there will always be two sides to everything.

What I don't know, and research hasn't really shed much light on the subject, is how much computer games affects our real-life behavior, values, and beliefs. It hasn't made me more likely to kill a passing gorilla or wolf. And I still stop to help people in and out of the game.

So even though I haven't experienced any bad side effects from the negative aspects of the Norrath world this might not be true of everyone who plays the game. Frankly, we are in a whole new social territory here and we aren't going to know the outcome for several generations.

But if the newest generations are any indication, a lot of negative social behaviors are starting to be phased out. Perhaps, being able to play "bad" characters has allowed people to see what it is like to be an outcast of society. And maybe being part of all the nasty politics, of Norrath, has made us more aware of our own political shortcomings.

Only time will tell but I have high hopes that all the reprehensible parts of Norrath society will eventually make us better citizens.
  18. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

...and while we're at it, my barbarian dirge that identifies as a female tried to purchase some status gear from the Freeport Docks vendor, but was met with the "Requires Female" tag and subsequently wasn't able to buy that cute outfit. Can we get that addressed too while we're fixing the racial tensions in Norrath? Once that's done - Rusty will be able to fully flesh out the rest of the <Trans-Barbarian Orchestra> guild. Thaaanks
    Moonpanther and Snikkety like this.
  19. Argosunited Well-Known Member

The game revolves around killing 'stuff', and this is what you have a problem with? Seriously?

Reminds me of my time in Rift where one of the yearly events had us pelting pixelated women with water balloons. Apparently that was sexist and violent and it was removed from game. Killing stuff on the other hand .. yeah good with that.

It's a game ffs, fight these battles in real life.
    Feldon, Tkia, Leloes and 2 others like this.
  20. Adept Active Member

OMG I thought the OP was being ironic.
    I am literally without words that someone could post this. Racial behaviour (Trolls eating dwarves for example) aside distrust and dislike culturally ingrained from milenia of war is more common sense than racism :p

Perhaps betraying Ogre paladins have not eaten a dwarf for weeks and even learnt to have a bath every now and then, but would you want your high elf daughter to marry one? :) ;)
    Leloes, Snikkety and Breanna like this.