Suggestion: Obulus Garden update

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Merriel, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Merriel Well-Known Member

So, I was checking out EQ2Traders.com and read the following statement (edited slightly and a huge thank you to Denmum for giving us this very useful site):

Obulus Garden.... have been upgraded. However, you will not be able to harvest any rares from them until you have finished the tradeskill Signature quest line for Blood of Luclin for each character you want to be able to get rares. It is not an account wide unlock.

The main reason I have not given my harvesting goblin up on any tradeskillers except one is for three reasons...

1. They cannot be placed in a guild hall, where I do ALL my crafting at (with exception of Moonlight Enchantments and City Fests).
    2. The exceptionally long wait time before you can harvest them again.
    3. Only the owner of the plant, even if they are all on the same account, can harvest the plant.

My suggestion, if you want me to give up my goblins:

1. Make it possible for any character to harvest any plant owned by a character on the same account.

or

2. Allow us to harvest these plants every hour or so, so that I do not need to log in multiple characters, go through several load-in's to harvest the plant with each character on the account.

... or

3. Upgrade the gathering goblin as well, so we don't have to give him up if we don't want to.

The only time I really use the goblins is during holiday events while cycling through pack ponies, but at least I can harvest the goblin on my main character every couple of hours, as opposed to pretty much once per day for the plant. I find the current situation for the plants to simply be too onerous to make it worth giving up my goblins.

The drop rate on the lumber is so extremely rare even now, that I can't see how this would be a detriment to how often we get the one rare I am interested in from the plants, plus, it seems to be easily enough obtained in Obulus now that it's a few expansions old. I can get several pieces of lumber in a few hours of harvesting in Obulus, but am fortunate if I even get one piece of lumber harvesting the plant for an entire week.
    Breanna and Rhodris like this.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

My thoughts on some of the suggestions:

1)
    Make it possible for any character to harvest any plant owned by a character on the same account. - You can't do this for the Goblin, or the Pack pony, why would this be allowed for the Garden? You have to log in each toon with a Goblin to harvest off of them, I'm not sure why the plant should be different.

3. Upgrade the gathering goblin as well, so we don't have to give him up if we don't want to. - Only way this makes sense is if they increase his harvest run to once a day. Otherwise people that already gave the goblin up will get far fewer materials with no way to go back.

I would like to see the plants allowed in a Guild Hall. I got around this by using one of the prestige homes and doing all my crafting from there instead.
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  3. Merriel Well-Known Member

1) With the pony, you don't have travel through multiple zones to get to the pony to harvest. You just log the character on and harvest. With the plant, you have to zone multiple times to get to it, hence my suggestion for being able to harvest it with whichever toon you zone in to harvest with, as long as they are on the same account.

3. Why do you think I won't give my goblins up....one harvest per day as opposed to once every two hours makes it soooo not worth it to me, especially when it isn't even giving me the one and only rare I want from the plant.

I am glad you find using a prestige home useful for doing all your crafting. Unfortunately, I do not find crafting in a home of any kind to be more beneficial than crafting from my guild hall. The depots are too small....I found I had to split my crafting homes into two homes in order to have enough materials stocked at any given time, whereas I only need one place to craft using the depots in my guild hall. Therefore, crafting in my homes is not feasible in my opinion. Having to put the plants into a home as opposed to the guild hall becomes an annoyance, especially if multiple characters have to zone in to harvest them.

It is simply a matter of convenience...this game already has too many time sinks in it. I will stick to the goblins even if they are not bringing back the more current harvesting materials, because it is more convenient to have them harvesting the lower level materials than to switch to the onerous plant which requires too many zone-in's to get to and can only be harvested once per day, and only one plant harvested per toon. If/when they make it possible to put the plants into a guild hall, and/or permitting one toon on the account to harvest any plants owned by toons on that same account, then I will consider "upgrading".