Suggestion: No PVP in DLW, Halas and City Zones

Discussion in 'PvP TLE Discussion' started by Satyr, May 31, 2021.

1. Stylish Active Member

For all those that are frustrated about getting waylaid in DLW - there are many many many more places to go.

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Freeport_Outlying_Areas_Timeline (lvl 5-15)
    https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Freeport_Sewers_Timeline (lvl 5-30)
    https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/The_Commonlands_Timeline (lvl 10-20)

There are options out there. You could probably run the sewers until lvl 30 and never see a single person.
    Or, take your lumps in DLW and run the questline, then move on to greener pastures.
  2. Spectre Active Member

This is a pvp server.. Kill or be killed is part of the idea. I definitely have been ganked by groups a multitude of times, but it's part of the course.
  3. DENSER Well-Known Member

Ye agree, it's pvp. some spend their time crafting, others completing the most quests, and still others, on this server, Camping players for whatever reason.
    I tried dlw one time ans decided to just go fp.... Ruins etc re good enuf.
    When i see a orange guy killing me cause i néed to walk to thunder or whatever else place. I let him enjoy his kill and continue my journey. When i see a qeynos haversting in antonica, while i go xp to varsoon for exemple, i polish my fangs on him.
    It's pvp, no mercy.

Afterwards, some take harassment to the extreme. And in this, what can be done. PvP breaks down Morale rules, and some take advantage of it.
    The time that it settles and we will recognize without difficulty the real good player of the small one Bragging about his title, having an erection with each fp or qeynos green player killed.
    Kittybock likes this.
  4. DefeatedZ Member

This mentality is out-dated and frankly short-sighted. PvP has changed.

We don't have the population to support that kind of point of view. We must try and encourage new players to play and they are not going to do that if they are griefed by people sitting at 14-20 who think they are good pvp'ers cause they can camp questers.

Disable PvP in DLW and Halas. Give ourselves a chance at a good server by giving the new players a chance to get out of the starting hubs.
  5. Genuflunkie New Member

The level 14 level locking GM and masters all around with BiS gear is not PVP it's griefing. If you really wanted pvp you'd ask for level locking with no spells beyond apprentice and treasured gear. You'd still have a 60 / 40, 70/30 advantage. I'd say right now it's 99 / 1, but it's really 100 / 0.

"Yeah but the other side can bring the level 14 slayers". Yeah ok let them come with their apprentice spells and treasured gear. I get the whole we don't want to pvp at 70, but why not create a healthy low level pvp environment instead of the Dallas Cowboys vs. the JV high school squad in the current "PVP" matchup.
    Watching a dozen fight it out in DLW or Halas with apprentice spells and normal quest / treasured gear would be a lot of fun. The current situation is just bad design resulting in new blood to the game saying screw this, this is dumb.

Don't eliminate pvp in the teens, fix it.

1. Take out Adept or higher books until 20.
    2. No MC gear until 22
    3. AA's dont kick in until 20, once AA's are activated no xp locking in any way. You can continue to lock but can't access AA's
    4. No pots, special cash shop nonsense ptw items until 20.
    5. By 20 new players will get a sense of the game and their class.
    6. The content is not hard but with apprentice spells all around it will be slightly more challenging.
    7. No mounts until 20.
    8. I'm sure there's somethi9ng i'm missing but with BiS treasured, the "get gud" slayers will have a slight advantage but it won't be insane like the current situation.

I don't mind levelling through the chaos and just eating the dozen or so deaths to get to 20 and beyond, but I would love to actively pvp in a fair teens environment while bored and unable to find something to do on a 70 main. Don't make me build some twink BiS level locking ******* toon. I want to jump right in on a level playing field.
  6. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

If they remove the ability to build a character and jump into pvp relatively quickly, that could also kill the server. Because of this, removing T2 pvp and offering nothing in return, could possibly lose more players (and marketplace sales) than it would gain.

Reality is a lot of players have T2/3 locked characters; why... is it because they are all griefing losers, no of course not. It is due mostly to the nature of the game design. The reason T2 locking is popular because a lot of people like to pvp with multiple classes, and the "fun" you can have at 70 vs the "fun" at 15, is not a big enough difference to warrant grinding a bunch of different classes to 70, unless you want to raid on that class. It requires a lot more PvE time and commitment to build a level 70 character. So people will have a main level 70 (or main on another server, or play other games in general), and a variety of geared T2 - T3 classes of all factions, that they can hop on and enjoy some mindless pvp.

T2 pvp between twinks is not something that has to be disabled completely, the problem is only when they grief new players. The ideal solution should reduce griefing while keeping it relatively accessible to jump into pvp. If they effectively disable or kill low level pvp, and it is also hard or takes a long time to get to level 70 where all the pvp is at... that is a terrible decision.

If we think about some different options -

Disable pvp in DLW/FF. The players that want to T2 pvp can still do so in CL or Ant. This cleans up DLW, but does it solve the problem of new players getting griefed, or would it just move the griefing to other zones like WC and FG?

Disable level locking or greatly increase pvp xp. In this case the game doesn't begin until level 70 because there is very little to no pvp at lower tiers. The thing is, after playing this game for however many years on however many servers... pvp is the fun part, not sitting around all night looking for sinking sands groups. That is just me tho,

Leave the game as-is and up to the community to handle griefers by force. I have not seen any extreme griefing in DLW, when I levelled my chars. But I'm sure it does happen sometimes, some guilds that's their whole bag. Most likely some new players will quit. How many and what kind of players? Who knows. Probably not the best option, although maybe the most noble and "ideal".

Give everyone a level 70 bauble without any AA. This gives everyone choices to reach an even playing field immediately, or go through the grind, or lock at any level they want. But they still have to do something to earn AA. Would this hurt the longevity of the server, completely bypassing the low levels of the game? I argue not, since TLE servers continue to run without any sort of low level grouping, almost everyone just launches to max level with a PL, it's kind of a proven necessity due to population. And it really doesn't add anything to the game to grind all that content, once the first waves of players leveling has passed.

Revenge buff. It would require coding new pvp rules so that when someone dies in pvp, they get a buff against the last person/group that killed them. Of course it would have to be balanced in a way that makes sense and is good for gameplay... and possibly disabled after level 20, etc. Engage and kill the same player more than twice in a row and there is a good chance they can single handedly wipe out 2/3 of the group. More punishing loot drops, carnage flagged, broken equipment, etc... put extreme risk into griefing.

-

Personally, I prefer option 4, as I have no desire to grind thru RE and CT and SS and all that with trash gear and apprentice spells, on every single character I want to play. But I can spin up a new class and get into pvp in just a few days with T2/3 pvp. And because of server population I think it would be better to just have everyone at end game.

I am also for removing fame, but I don't think that will reduce T2 griefing. I think it would just reduce cowardly sportsmanship in general, and actually lead to MORE pvp from people that aren't scared to die and lose a title.
    Proto12 likes this.
  7. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't removing PVP in DLW and Frostfang essentially make a free path to level 20?
    desmith212 likes this.
  8. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree with this, but there's also been discussion about trying to get new people to try the server. Keeping the 'noob' zones as non-combat would be a good way to let people learn the basic mechanics of the game, gear up just a little then be tossed out into the wide world. You can just as easily be sitting at the entrances to Commonlands as hovering waiting for them to ding.

It might go a long way to the longevity of the player population - and therefore the server.
  9. Siren Well-Known Member

Actually, there are many new players. I get lots of DMs on the Tarinax Discord and also on these very forums from EQ1 players that have migrated to Tarinax because they don't have their own PvP server. I get lots of other DMs from long-gone EQ2 players who haven't played since launch in 2004, and most never even played PvP (which didn't go in til 2006) when they were here.

Still other longtime EQ2 players are finally getting around to trying PvP, which they either missed the original heyday of because they hadn't started EQ2 at all yet when Nagafen was shut down, or because Nagafen was already in its death throes when they first began playing EQ2.

Such is life for a 17 year old MMORPG. And the devs said during Tarinax beta: No level locking! That shouldn't mean that twinked locked orange griefers get 400 newbie kills per tier. No level locking means no level locking!

I even wrote multiple pages of starter tips in response to the "New to EQ2 PvP" thread in this very forum, which currently has almost 3,700 hits. And we all know that the git gud ganker kewl kiddies aren't the ones reading it, because they're too busy griefing all the green newbies off the server til it's dead, eh?

Did you even read this thread, where so many longstanding PvPers feel that level locking should be eliminated because locked twinks are already emptying out the server?

Poor you, you might have to actually git gud yourself instead of one-shotting t1-equipped greens as a lazy, t2 locked twink orange.
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

The last few posts read like you loaded up a shotgun with every MMO PVP trope and cliche and shot it without aim, hoping one of the subjects would hit someone

I hope you PvP better than you write.

EDIT: I wasn't talking about Siren, I was talking about posts that have since been removed. :)
    Siren likes this.
  11. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Looks like the forum moderator handled it.
    Siren likes this.
  12. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

there is definitely level locking in the game , why do you think there are so many level 9s ?
  13. Siren Well-Known Member

This doesn't prevent orange L14 locked twinks griefing L10s, whereas disabling level locking permanently would (especially where they said "No level locking!" before launch) but....

Kander stickied this in Tarinax Discord (maybe it's part of the Mentoring code fixes instead? Kander didn't specify) and I hope it includes not getting any drops or money off them anymore, either:

Kander
    — Yesterday at 5:19 PM

As of 6/08, if you are 5 levels above the actual level of the player you are killing, or more, you will no longer get anything for killing that player. This will be in the patch notes.
  14. Denox New Member

Why you dont work with /recent? on lvl range 10 to 20
    you cannot attack people who are on that list, but can attack back if they attack you.
    or something like that.
    1 dead every 30 mins for a newbie is ok
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  15. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree. It's the getting griefed over and over that's demoralizing to a new player - heck it is to an old player. Getting killed in pvp isn't a problem - that's what happens. Hopefully this fix goes a long way to helping.
  16. Siren Well-Known Member

It's not just getting killed that's the problem, it's that new players can't even make a dent in locked twinks, so their only outcome throughout the tier is endless death (and drop losses). Then there's the endless griefing beyond all that. And if newbie zones are made no-PvP or limited PvP, then the next tier will become overrun with orange locked twink griefers instead, because those type of griefers are too lazy to hit cap and too scared to pick on somebody their own size.

It's the level locking and twinking that are the real problem here. They make every fight very unbalanced. Limiting kills or even preventing them for a bit doesn't solve the real problem, which is the locking and twinking itself. Nobody should be able to two-shot other players of any tier (with zero risk to themselves besides), let alone be able to do it endlessly.

Most locked twinks already keep griefing greens over and over even if they're no longer rewarded with anything for it. And even a 4-level range between a locked twink and an untwinked green is an insurmountable difference, never mind greens facing teams of them constantly.

The devs said "No level locking," and Dreamweaver reiterated it on Discord throughout beta multiple times. The devs really just need to disable all forms of level locking, period. People can be locked at 70 cap and twink there. If they're too scared to fight geared players their own level then they need to learn to play, instead of being allowed to endlessly bully new players (with zero risk to themselves) until they empty out the server.
    Proto12 and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  17. Fulton Active Member

I don't remember, do oranges have a better hit rate or better resistances to greens, better crits ect, or does color just simply gauge level con? If oranges have more of an advantage than just a few levels then maybe remove color cons and make all pvp enemies white if within level range.
  18. Proto12 Active Member

Eh, at the end of reading this I think one's view on this is largely dependent on what you think the purpose of the server is. If you view it as an event server that's meant just to be reminiscent of pvp back in the day, then sure - leave everything as it is and people that want to take the time to invest in it will (the 80 or so who have) and newer players will try it for like 2 days and quit.

However if you want this to actually be a server that sticks around for the remaining life of the game (even if it never progresses past RoK), then I think it's unquestionable that we would want to encourage changes that promote the health of the server and population (aka, ideas represented through Siren's perspective).
    Siren likes this.
  19. Vishous Member

just put it how it was many many years ago and pvp doesn't start till level 20...then allow people to play how they want, level to 70 or lock at 20 etc etc... let people just play..
    1-19 will allow people to learn their classes and enjoy a bit of practice before pvp is turned on..
    also the pvp range needs adjusted to a flat out 8 levels in all original zones and unlimited with T6+

also its time to remove the ability to attack/grief grey toons, the old exile locatiion and rules are out dated and isn't needed any longer, just make it an actual faction people can choose to play in at any tier.
    Raff likes this.
  20. krokous Member

Why not give fresh lvl 10 toons one time gear/spell package to be able to compete? Problem solved