Suddenly graphics went whacky

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by dorotea, Feb 10, 2020.

1. dorotea Active Member

Things were much darker and colors changed to odd shades of red and purple in many cases.
    Only while actually in-game; not on the character screen. When logging in or zoning things were normal for a fraction of a second then reverted to the ...mess. No impact on any other application (or the EQ character screen or launcher) so its not a graphics card failure.

The *really* weird thing is when I switched to a different character the problem was gone but when I went to the first one it was back. Yet as we all know graphics options are not per character - nor had I changed any options before the problem. Afterwards I tried extreme performance and extreme quality and things in between and nothing made any difference.

Anyone have any idea what could cause such a one-character glitch in graphics?
  2. dorotea Active Member

Deleted caches - didn't help in the slightest. Doing a total reinstall at the moment. Even if that works any ideas as to what happened would be welcome.
  3. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Such strange graphical artefacts can happen in case of graphical card overheating as far as I know.
    I had something like this when I tried to run games on a graphical card with passive cooling.
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. dorotea Active Member

Yes I have had it happen also from overheating. But never affecting just part of one application and leaving every other one entirely normal. And certainly never affecting a single character and leaving all others normal. Most odd.
  5. Grumpy_Warrior Well-Known Member

It sounds like a bad graphics file somewhere, but if reinstalling doesn't help try changing all the character's clothing -- seems like I remember the Bruiser class outfit caused a graphics issue long ago? Also clear all the character's pets, familiars, mercs, buffs, mount. Some of these things may get applied a split second after the character model enters the world like you were seeing. Also try alternating between normal and SOGA models. Does it happen in all zones?
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  6. Sigrdrifa Well-Known Member

Close the game. You may want to reboot. Then start the Launchpad and click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon). One of the options in there is to validate files, let it do that.

Each character can have different graphic settings. You might try using /load_uisettings and selecting one from a character whose graphics aren't borked.

One thing I have seen happen is you can accidentally get 3-D clicked on, and that causes a mess visually. For that, EQ2 Button >> Options >> Display >> Stereoscopic 3D (make sure it's unchecked).
    Cyrrena, Evguenil62 and Breanna like this.
  7. dorotea Active Member

Thanks for the good advice. Nothing seemed to help but I only had a few days invested grinding agnostics in the character so I just wiped her. RIP. So far this hasn't happened again.
  8. Xevran Well-Known Member

Are you positive you didn't enable one of those vision altering spells? Because there is one that makes everything purple.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. dorotea Active Member

Good suggestion about fisheye and other vision-affecting abilities but no that wasn't it.