Strategic Markers

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Rixan, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Rixan New Member

These strategic markers are designed in a lousy way. They should act like house items so that you can place them anywhere as far without named aggro’ing on sight, instead they have 3 seconds casting time and gets placed under your feet. I was only given Examine and Destroy options afterward.

Also, they need to be visible in map / mini-map windows as well.
  2. Koleg Active Member

They are the colored engineering smoke bombs of WOW circa 2004... enjoy.
  3. Gninja Developer

Keep in mind that dungeons/raids are not setup like houses so its not as simple as making them act like house items. It actually spawns it into the world.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "place them anywhere as far without named aggro’ing on sight" Do you mean you can place them anywhere as long as they are not in aggro range of a creature? Because you currently can you just have to stand there. Placing it when you are standing is much more reliable than placing it where your cursor is.

I am willing to discuss improvements if you have ideas.
  4. Geothe Active Member

He means place them like house items, when you "move" the house item, you can place it a long distance away from where your character is actually standing with the mouse. So perhaps, change the flags to no-zone house items. You "use" it and it makes the item appear in the zone. And once present, they act like house items where you have the option to right click and move it to place it when you want. The mechanic already exists in raid zones, 2nd encounter in Hard Mode Tallons which has the statue spawn, which a player needs click, move, and place a certain distance away from the named other wise a fail condition is triggered.
  5. Gninja Developer

The reasoning they are not setup that way was for targeting. We don't want them to be picked up by tab targeting during the fight.
  6. Lous_mun New Member

gninja does the exclude the possibility of being able to right click on the marker and being able to select an option to move the marker so it can be repositioned? or if we misplace one will we just have to pickup the old one and set down a new one?

as for rixans idea about them being visible on the map would be interesting but i believe the size of group member icons would kind of prevent it from being useful unless it was a large map marker.

on a different note i won't mind having a slash command to allow me to place a temporary marker on my map located at my characters feet instead of trying to guess on the map where my characters feet are based on the map icon i see for myself.
  7. Gninja Developer

For now it does, yes. We can discuss that aspect of it further at a later time. As far as putting a marker on the map I can pass that along as an idea for the code folks.
  8. Lous_mun New Member

Gninja ok cool thanks for clarifying that all though i do wonder if you could add like an edit mode to the zone if you could that would allow raid leader or raid looter to move the marker and then when they exit the edit mode the markers could be locked and not be tab targeted too. i think their was/is a house editing mode you can enter by doing an alt click or something not failure with it as i don't do a lot of decorating.
  9. slippery Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Rixan. The majority of encounters these will be entirely useless since you can only place them at your feet. That means you probably can't place them where you'd want since you'll agro the named.

I'd also by far rather have the ability to target based on tags. You skull an npc to indicate it should die. /target_tagged skull would then target that npc.

Honestly, that should be necessary either. Multiple different raid encounters in the past have had house item type stuff (DMP..)
  10. Elostirion Well-Known Member

This indeed would be fabu.
  11. Thud New Member

Any chance we could (someday) save marker locations, then in later runs do some sort of /load_layout? (like houses, which I know this isn't, but still...)
    Then at least if you kill a mob once you could make a layout including locations within aggro range, to make future kills more straightforward. Or if you're good at estimating, you could build the location list by hand.
  12. Ynnek Well-Known Member

How about a "/place_marker <x> <y> <x>" command instead - allowing free form marker placing not limited by your current location?
  13. Elostirion Well-Known Member

and allow for it to be floating in space or inside zone geometry?
  14. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Floating in space? Eh, why not, if that's where you choose to put it. Or of course it could simply anchor to the ground below it. The Y coordinate is far less important that being able to plant it at any X,Z.

Inside or outside reachable zone geometry? Sure, I mean, if you want to put it where you can't see it via the command line, I'm not entirely sure there's a reason for the game to stop you...
  15. SandsMans Active Member

What about the pumpkins that you can move around the cities during NOTD? If I remember correctly you cannot target them, either by clicking or tab, but you can still pick them up and move them around the city.

Maybe the same concept/code can be applied to these markers.