STR/WIS VS STR/AGI (AA Lines)

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Windowlicker, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

Ok, If you really like kicking out some serious damage it seems like there are two options available. The STR/WIS lines (Freehand/Catalyst) or the STR/AGI (Catalyst/Timers).

Would anyone that makes use of the STR/AGI lines have any examples of parses?

Personally I'm currently level 70 with about 67 AA's, and almost full Masters. The few spells that aren't mastered are A3. All key damage spells are M1 or higher. I use the STR/WIS line (Freehand/Catalyst).

Our last labs raid I averaged about 1500 - 2000 dps per pull. (With hate reduction)

Pre-EoF I wasn't too thrilled with the reduced casting times line, however with the new EoF AA's I'm taking another look.

What do you think?
  2. ARCHIVED-Xede Guest

in all honesty there really isnt much difference in DPS going agi/wis or str/wis

i've never done str/agi as i see the wis line the best for the sorcerer class. increasing base damage by 8% is huge.

I am currently running agi/wis and going down the hastenings line(only 71 AA's currently) and can average about 1200-1700 DPS(but then again i like to talk in chat channels alot) All spells are mastered. I always have time compression on me and synergism.
  3. ARCHIVED-Thief Guest

I really don't understand why people are still going down Str. Agi/Wis
  4. ARCHIVED-Keithoth Guest

Agi/WIs FTW Nuff Said
  5. ARCHIVED-dubbs Guest

So Agi 4/4/4/8/8 and Wis 4/5/4/8 sound about right?
  6. ARCHIVED-Niun01 Guest

Agility 4/4/4/8/1 Wis 4/5/4/8

I will never look back. Was strength/wisdom for a long time and really see no difference in crits after I switched. Currently fully down the hastening line and about to work on my Explosive line next.
    Message Edited by Niun01 on 01-08-2007 09:09 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

Elaborate on your setup then please.
  8. ARCHIVED-Andromax1 Guest

same as above, I parse a lot better with AGI/WIS I have 100 AA tho so my warlock tree is maxed as well. 2k+ on singles, 3K+ on grps of 2-3 epics np.

With synergism btw

Message Edited by Andromax1 on 01-08-2007 12:06 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-TheStateFish Guest

I run STR/AGI without catalyst. The best for dps. Try it youself and you'll see. The second symbol with stats and a proc plus the crit% far outweigh the 8% dmg increase with the loss of stats. Spells cast faster and with less spikes in damage(freehand likes to pull aggro) meaning less aggro and higher dps overall. Your single spell numbers won't look as impressive, but your parse will be higher.
  10. ARCHIVED-shadowflag Guest

I've recently went back to STR/AGI from WIS/AGI and noticed a difference. My STR is 4/4/5/8 and AGI is 4/4/8/1. Notice I don't take Catalyst. It's a waste of points IMO.
    My Warlock AA's are currently 5/5/5/5/5/3/1 down the Hastenings line. Explosives is at 5/5/5/5/1 with no points in Rift.
    I haven't crunched the numbers of the parses to see how much more DPS one line does than the other but I'm gonna stick with STR/AGI for two reasons.
    One is that it bothers me to no end to have my secondary slot empty. I still think it is a ridiculous compromise for a higher base damage and the other abilities in the line.
    Second is that I crit A LOT. With Don't Kill the Messenger and a Second Sight potion I hover at 25-26% chance to crit and thats not counting boots or some other mods which could bump the chance higher. It's appearant to me that the crits offset a Freehand Sorcery attack every 45 or so seconds.

Message Edited by shadowflag on 01-08-2007 01:00 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-Andromax1 Guest

I dont think that most people take WIS for the freehand attack, they take it so that every spell they use does 8% more dmg than it would otherwise.
  12. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

Hrm, I'll take another look at each line when I'm not sitting at my desk at work :)

So far the STR/WIS lines have served me well, but I'm always looking for ways to squeeze a bit more DPS out. I can see why increasing the average damage of all spells would likely be nice, however I'm unsure if it's going to offset the huge Apoc/Chaostorm crits I see with Freehand and Catalyst.

Currently with Dispatch in, I can watch my Apoc tick for over 4k damage. I guess I'd be worried that the higher average damage of each spell would be enough to cover that difference.
  13. ARCHIVED-Melseb Guest

The whole idea behind the agility line is that you cast SEVERAL (i really dont know how many on average) more spells per fight. Yes you might get a nice 16k apocalypse once per fight, but is that really better than casting a 10k apocalypse + 3 more void distortions, and 3 more war pyres? It would be interesting to see parses showing how many more spell casts per fight a chain casting warlock gets with the agility line. The bottom line is that I and many many other warlocks are parsing higher with agi/wis than str/wis and this is probably the best explanation for it.

Daenarys
    70 Warlock
    Mob Squad
    Kithicor
  14. ARCHIVED-Mastire Guest

I used to do STR/Agi. I thaught it was teh bet with cat. + the aditonal item. But due to a few warlokcs insisting that AGI/Wis was better I decided to respec to show I was right. I have only raided 2x since then but I beleive I was wrong. I was doing 1.2-1.4k dps before, now I'm closer to 1.4-1.9k. Going to give it a bit longer before I say for sure though.
  15. ARCHIVED-gaarder Guest

i am down for agi/wis as well.
    my reasoning is quite simple (please correct me if i am wrong)
    for dps:
    str-- 8% critc chance to have 50% dmg bonus is 4% dmg increase
    agi-- cast/recast everything faster/more often 10-12% is 10%+ dmg increase (assume ur gear dont suck so you dont run oop)
    wis-- 8% base dmg boost is 8%
    so on average with out the luck issue, it is agi>wis>str (not counting catalyst or fhs because that's really a lot of math)

for others:
    agi is obviously better than other 2, u cast/recast more on : debuff, potion, activatable items, god's ability or even CoQ/coO and i am using the dagger from cheldrak, which can actually add a tiny melee dps with the interupting dagger AA, lol
    wis line maybe good that you have little ward of sage, kinda useless though if you are raiding mostly (the epics gonna cut through ur pity 200wards as nothing anyway)
    str line: hmmm let me think, o yes, u have 4x8 str more so you can carry more box to hold more precious loot?
  16. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

Well that and the almost 12% increase to overall crits, and a chunk of extra parry to help with avoidance.
  17. ARCHIVED-Niun01 Guest

I don't know. As I said before, I was in Strength/agility for a very long time before i went to strength/wisdom pre-eof. Now that I've switched over to agility/wisdom and down the hastening line, I will never respec again. My DPS has grown exponentially.
  18. ARCHIVED-Thief Guest

Agi/Wis is simply the formula for Max Dps. Me? I'm the best warlock tank you have ever seen :)
  19. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for a few parses. On the longer term fights it seems like the AGI/WIS lines might be better, I guess I'm concerned about the shorter fights.
    I do raid, but I do quite a few other things ingame as well. So I'm more looking to refine my overall damage in all situations, not just raids.
    With STR/WIS I am consistantly on top of almost every single parse in every single raid I attend already. If I can squeeze more damage out of that, I'm sure going to look into it :)

Would you be able to save a couple parses? Perhaps a few off short term fights, and a couple off longer duration?
  20. ARCHIVED-AngryCornFlake Guest

I'm curious, those of you that go Agi/Wis, since str is not exactly abundant on warlock gear (for good reason), how do you get enough strength to be able to carry anything? My warlock is a fae and 10str doesn't even allow me to carry some bags. So do you just pickup one item that's sub-par that has some str on it, to be able to carry anything? Just wondering. Agi/Wis line does look quite attractive, but I'd miss the 28 strength, as strange as that is.