Stay Zerker or Betray to Guardian

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Rhinok, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Rhinok New Member

Greetings,

Playing maximum content (level locking and clearing each and every zone) because i am.....
    ...duo'ing with my wife (she is playing swashy)....
    ...yes we are using mercs... (currently the templar healer and another swashy, but might swap that for a SK)

I am playing a zerker....

We are about to do the betrayal quest and wondering....

Should i swap to Guardian or stay Zerker?

I would prefer max damage/survivability (as would everyone I'm sure....)

I already have a mid-40s monk and 70 SK...but she wants to do the entire questing/levelling thing together...so really only option is listed above... Zerk or Guardian
  2. AustinB Member

Stick with the zerker, it is the better tank in the context you are talking about.
  3. Rhinok New Member

I suppose a good follow on question...

I'm at 115 AAs already at level 16....(with one more zone to go... hooray Commonlands...)

Got a recommended AA spec to go with this method?
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

I would recommend remaining a Zerker as well. Guardians (Like myself) do very low solo/duo damage. I at best do 150-200K solo on AE fights WITH an inquisitor merc and I am in eng-game gear almost (PoW). As per AA... not really able to offer much beyond you probably want the AGI/STA/INT lines for your Warrior Tree. I don't play a Zerk and haven't past lvl... oh 19 I think?
  5. Natsume Member

I'm all for more Guardians. Can't offer any advice as I am a low level Guardian myself.

I have used a merc all the way from 1 - 55 and when I turned 60, someone told me to use a SK and so far, has been awesome! Might not heal and stuff but great tank for me while I cower at the back :)
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

I am a High level guard as my tag says, the class is really not easy to play well and the Berserker is much more straight forward. You can play a Guardian but the issue is playing one well. There are a lot of tricks and stuff to em and spell rotations and timings.

I would still stand by starting as a zerk unless you really want to spend the time to learn the Guardian. Just know that Guards are the lowest parsing tank of all 6 tanks so hate will be difficult until you learn how all your skills work/affect the hate list. I would say we are the best "defense utility" tank for a group.

Learn a Guard if you want to MT raids. Learn a Zerk if you want to 3rd tank or just do Heroic Content. If you just want to dps as a tank, play a Bruiser or SK imo.
  7. LOTHE from butcherblock New Member

Just started playing EQ2 because i kept on hearing good things about the game and a friend who i play with from time to time on EQ1 told me to come along and make a new character on the butcherblock server and he could join me. Basically I use to play a Zerker on EQ1 and they arent known as tanks but DPS there. ON EQ2 they changed up the class and made them tanks that can duel weild and now even use a sheild which i find amazing. So far my character is level 15zerker and he just feels like a regular warrior. Until i grouped up with a guardian recently then i noticed the difference between the 2 classes. while we were grouped we went to a zone far from the newbie ground and was amazed at how well and better he was able to tank in comparison. But what i also noticed was that zerkers have a better ability to hit multiple mobs at once and do greater damage. I like the changes made between the classes. Stick with your zerker i wouldnt start a guardian.
  8. Atan Well-Known Member

its very difficult at these levels to really compair the classes, but I'll give the same advice I always give around this question.

Unless you have a guild asking you to MT for them, stay zerker. For just about everything outside of MTing a raid, the zerker has more tools that are more fun to play with.

If you don't have a raid slot carved out already for your guardian, I don't see any point in sticking with the class, I wouldn't. Not saying it can't be done by any means, but the churn and burn potential of the zerker is just much more 'fun' for non-raid MTing content.
  9. Estred Well-Known Member

What Atan said is true. I may be a raiding Guardian now, but it was blasted hard to get guilds. In a way I got lucky now at least I have a bit of a rep for tanking. Zerks win in heroic though.
  10. mouser Well-Known Member

My main is a guardian - level locked at 76 for a bit to farm status (yeah, I should've stopped at 75).

Anyway, what everyone is saying is about right. I've got a zerker alt I haven't levelled up much, but he looks like he'll be fun.

You have to understand, being a guardian isn't about killing things: it's about not dying. And we're very, very good at that.

Roll with what you want. A guardian will make your wife's life easier, I can tell you that, as you'll be able to keep the mobs off of her so she can relax and kill stuff. As far as AA's I've gone with the right three tree's, and then the damage ones in the 'web', and a few things in shadow. It's enough to bring my DPS up above painfully slow, but I can still take a beating and come out the other side of it. If I was MT'ing I'd put more points into hate management stuff - I mostly solo (duo sometimes).

For me though, there's nothing like the satisfaction of being 'trained' by some Chinese farmer cause I'm in his hunting ground, and being able to take all the mobs on and stay standing. Hasn't happened that often lately - I'm either in the wrong spots or they've finally moved on to greener pastures.
  11. Davngr Well-Known Member

tbh guard doesn't have survivability over a zerk in heroic stuff with no healer. what he does have is survivabioity of his group over a zerk..

when you get to higher levels and start getting the AA and stuff it might be advantageous to go guard so you can keep the swash alive better but over all i'd stick zerk.. your damage as a zerk is twice or more that of a guard.
  12. Rhinok New Member

Well I am doing the Betrayal Quest now - decided to stay zerker... however - I am hoping for some assistance for AA builds - such as:

1) Super nubly and only 50 points to spend in Warrior Tree / 50 points to spend in Berserker tree
    2) Next stage above that.... i think it's 70 in each...

At the moment I am level 26 with 150 AAs.... and I'm in Stam/Int trees (i was doing Str/Stam but....yea)
  13. Redspine New Member

I suggest you play around with your AAs. They really come down to your style of play. If you don't like them or want to try something else you can reset them. Personally I went for DPS, AEs and the shield line in middle for when I do have to bust out a shield and actually tank. With my 2nd box Mystic, wife wizard and 3 Conjurer Mercs, we plow through just about anything.