Stats on "Fire Within" chest adorn make no sense

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Bhayar, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Was looking at the "Fire Within" chest adorn for completing Sol Eye and I'm baffled by the alleged stats:
    Caster has a 10,000.0% chance of having one of their weapons' auto-attack strike the target multiple times.
    On a hostile ability cast this spell has a 15% chance to cast Fire Within on caster. Lasts for 6.0 seconds.

(2) Applies Fire Within.
    This effect can only trigger once every 180.0 - 300.0 seconds.
    Increases Ability Doublecast of caster by 10,000.0%

Maybe this is a result of someone's "new math," but a chance of something happening is between 0% and 100%--period. There is no 10,000% chance. I know DPG occasionally gets confused and liberally applies "per cent" instead of just using a statistical numerical boost to indicate actual results. We've all seen equipment that lists, for example "potency is increased by 150%." Uh no, it isn't--it goes up by a count of 150 points more in potency.
    But seriously, 10K% chance simply doesn't exist in anyone's mathematical calculations. But if DPG is insisting this is a valid mathematical equation, that possibly explains why they also think RNG is working great, haha.
    Breanna likes this.
  2. Melt Actually plays the game

It means a guaranteed flurry or doublecast when it procs. It's at 10000% because they mitigate those stats, so if it was only 100% it wouldn't be guaranteed. For % chance things the percentage is actually what it says, like flurry or doublecast. A percentage increase works by, well, increasing by that percentage.

The difference is chance vs increase, percentages can be used multiple ways. I'm not gonna pretend that the stats are good, but they're not overly complex.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Well, color me stupid, but unless the mitigation would be extremely high, it's still proccing at 100%. Not only that, it would seem to be easier to detect that if you have the rune equipped, your ability dc or multattack is not impacted by what the mob's mitigation is. I mean seriously, do we have any mob that hits anywhere close to a 1000% mitigation of any stat? It's sort of like using a hand grenade to take out a fly.
  4. Priority Well-Known Member

It's to make the rune viable going forward, not because of a current mobs avoidance of a particular stat.
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

If that was the reason, wouldn't all chest items have a slot for a blue adorn currently available in BoL, much less the next xpac? The only chest armor with that slot is the one you earn at same time you get rune. I'm not seeing a blue adorn slot available on any armor (including raid armor) past Sol Eye.

That said, when was the last time you saw any rune from one xpac carry forward that wasn't replaceable by something else in the new one? And we'll agree to disagree, but 10K per cent chance makes no sense.
  6. Priority Well-Known Member

Do you have the rune? Do you have a chest with the rune slot? Can you read Daggerstorm or Unda? Makes perfect sense if you meet those requirements.
  7. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

All armour set chest pieces at resolve of 205 and 210, have the slot.

The abilities Priority mentioned cannot doublecast, but your doublecast score increases their power. Considering how strong they are with people getting up to say 200 adc in raid, with skill and timing, the 10k adc buff should produce interesting results!

I have been using an audible alert to keep an eye on the flurry buff for a while now as I was convinced it was broken.. I still don't like how it works, but nobody else is complaining so it must be just me. I'll have the adc buff in the next 2 or 3 hours, but as a monk, I can't think of anything I have which will really benefit from it. I can't rely on a proc for guaranteed doublecast when dragonfire is so important. The 10k flurry has interesting potential for the next xpac though, with the changes to how flurry works.
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

My bad on the chest armor. Thought mine was 205, but it was only 200; checked the status merchant and saw the rune slot on the 205 stuff. Something else to make a note of. Thanks again for the additional info.