State of RP on Antonia Bayle Server...

Discussion in 'Roleplaying' started by Aranedhel, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Aranedhel Member

OK, has anyone seen or heard of a currently active RP group (not necessarily a guild) on the AB server? I am not interested in RP chat mind you, I am looking for a group of players who actually apply a willing suspension of disbelief to engage in activities within the framework provided by the game. I've seen some folks talk about it but I place these names on my friends list and never see them in game... just wondering. If anyone is interested look me up on AB as Aranedhel, 95 Beastlord currently working thru the claymore timeline (chrono'd down to 65).
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Sigh...we used to, with our guild on AB; I think even non-member Visitors had access to our various bars, libraries, etc. places where we could hang out and RP on a regular basis, including weekly and holiday events, etc., but our numbers are so low now I don't even know if a lot of them exist any more. :-/

Uwk
  3. Zhadowsee New Member

Sometimes it is necessary to take the reigns and establish the change yourself. If something you are wanting to experience simply is not there, determine the necessary goals to make it happen. Use channels such as RPLFG and RPEvents to post what you are trying to build. Earn the trust from people willing to listen to and support what you have to promote. With that trust, you can get their commitment. Make a structured plan to get what you want up and running.

Think of ways of how your plan will fail, then think of ways to overcome those failures. Not only will you eventually see your plan come to fruition, but you and your friends can stand proud in your accomplishments.
  4. Cynara Well-Known Member

I agree with taking the reigns yourself on it, but I would be loathe to use rplfg or rpevents as main channels for communication. As Zhadowsee said, use them to make announcements. There are far too many times in these channels when new rp'ers/players/advice-seekers are either ignored, or receive the "you aren't worthy" treatment. When well known names treat someone poorly there, it leaves a bitter experience (right or wrong) in the minds of more than just the person seeking the information, and reflects poorly on all the roleplayers of Antonia Bayle. Offer an alternative where people are cordial and accepting of new faces and names. I would love to see more open world RP and more friendly discussions OOC for such.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That's sad...one of the major reasons I got fed up with WoW was the community, other than one's own guildies. In that sense, it was very much like armed camps, even on non-PvP servers: "We're cool, but most of the 'outsiders' are buttheads [pretty much true]." There was also the in-game economy, which SUCKED (mostly, I think, due to the "you can have 50 character slots right off! Ten per server, max!" idea they had that they were surprised by...millions of players taking them up on it = not a lot of room on their servers, so banking sucked, the Auction House sucked, bag space sucked, mail service sucked [except for multiple item mailing, which I really, really wish SOE would steal and implement here!], no housing, no Appearance slots, etc.; that still doesn't explain why the quest monetary awards sucked, or why most quests had actual "physical" things you had to clog up your bag spaces with, but I digress), and Cataclysm, which was pretty much the nail in the coffin for our family accounts. :-/

That being said, it's sad to see the same, or similar, kind of community mentality anywhere here in EQ2, especially in role-playing areas. If someone doesn't have sufficient "Role-player Chops" for you, folks, help them learn how to improve. Even you lot were beginners once upon a time, unless you're professional actors (not that those folks don't play, but you get the idea); remember that and be gentle. The last thing AB needs is more people getting gun-shy about role-playing...the gods know my alts there are guilty of it as well, especially on Homeshow. ;->

Uwk
  6. Aranedhel Member

OK so what I am reading is that no one is aware of a group that engages in open world RP at present. That being said, is anyone interested in doing so, if you feel that you might, feel free to look me up in game on AB, good hunting!.
    Mordaeth and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Maat New Member

We're trying to, having to make the initiative though. Fighting the good fight!
  8. Dmyankee New Member

is there an RP channel one can join? i have the RPLFG one and the other channel set up but those are for the events kudos on the highland games those were fun to see happening.

Or a RP forum for character development one can post to? I am returning to RP after a many a year absence lost in the elite raiding game and want to do both here.

Thank you all.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Aw, foozles...back in the day, General chat on AB itself was supposed to be RP-speak, and most folks adhered to that pretty well, but that's sort of fallen by the wayside... :-/

If anyone knows more about RP channels there than I, feel free to chime in! ;->

Uwk
  10. Katz Well-Known Member

You all should just make a channel and then advertise it in open chat and here on the forums.
  11. Aranedhel Member

There and back again...
    Been away for a little bit, trying my hand at Landmark, back in Norrath now and looking once more to see if there are any interested parties in some open world RP.

Aranedhel
  12. Dresnik New Member

what are you looking for by saying open world RP? there are plenty of venues, enough to have one or two open each and every night. there are a couple guilds that patrol Freeport and Qeynos city streets, I've seen people randomly RP in Freeport near the docks and arounf the housing portals. Then to top that all off there are quite a few guilds you could join and RP with, heck join a guild, start some RP and take it out to the open world yourself, You never know when strangers might join in!
  13. Aranedhel Member

Open world, to me, implies interacting with your party members "in character", following questlines that may not serve any purpose other than to do them, generally placing immersion over meta-gaming. I understand this is not to everyone's taste, that is the reason for posting it in this forum. I have attended several RP events, while somewhat enjoyable they have typically consisted of sitting around a bar and conversing. Going to "a location" and engaging in RP is fine for those that are looking for that, I would like to find some running mates who can play their character with a little more zest, and less concern for gear/leveling.
    Glenorian likes this.
  14. Tarnorili Member

It seems it's largely a lost art, but we're still out there. Immersive/emergent/free-form RP out in the world is my prefered style, and I think it's closely akin what you're talking about: RPing whilst actually playing the game. It's certainly a lot more challenging than the more static tavern-based RP though, and I think that is in part why it's not as popular. The sit around in the bar and RP is definitely the most visual/prevalent RP it seems these days, but it's certainly just one small niche in the RP spectrum.

My advice would be play the way you want to play, even when your character is alone. I know that might sound strange, but an example of that is RPing with the NPC characters your character interacts with whilst out adventuring/questing. A greeting or farewell is a simple expression of this. Another example might be complaining to a broker you're interacting with when the price of something you'd like to buy is very expensive. Or alternatively thanking them, for 'keeping aside' a great deal when you find something for a good price. After all such RP is not be limited interaction with only player characters. If we're doing it right there's a whole world to RP with, both NPCs and the environment your character is in. As you know likely know, every situation in the game is open to RP interaction, one just has to think outside the square and 'on-one's-feet' sometimes. It - for myself - is precisely this challenge the RP presents that is so rewarding.

Of course, this same technique can be broadly used on other player characters as well. Often a simple wave hello is a great, and appropriate, start. If they reciprocate, give a greetings. If they reply in kind well you're on your way. Sometimes it's just a wave hello to each other the first few times you meet, for just like real-life friendships, these things take time and can't be rushed.

Good luck!
    Glenorian and Aranedhel like this.
  15. Nolus Well-Known Member

When I first started playing, I'd group with random people and wonder through the town. I'm not a hard core RP'er. But if anyone starts to roleplay with me they can expect the same in turn. I've went to some of the festival events in the past and they can be fun. I'd like to see more RP in /say though. Many times I will go up to people and start emoting and talking to them, with not so much as a wave or response of any form (they are in their own RP channel - which is fine) But, why not respond to someone trying to interact? - I don't even care if they respond that I'm not worthy of their time, just - something- One of my best experiences was camping a mob and we had someone roleplaying. It was fabulous! The time went by quite fast on our camp they played some games with us.

I know there are some fabulous roleplayers out and about. I wish they would share that more openly. I'm keeping any conversations in /say /shout etc. If you see me, feel free to RP by all means! :)
    Tarnorili and Aranedhel like this.
  16. Tarnorili Member

Yeah, there's not a lot of downtime these days in MMOs so this sort of thing seems to happen less and less, which I think is a shame. Though waiting for the Mischev Actors to put on their puppet shows allowed some great random RP I found, in the older style. I hope others got to experience a bit too, it was a lot of fun.
    Nolus likes this.
  17. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

ok, have any steps been made in this direction? because this post is a carbon copy of my experience with RP questions/experimentation
  18. Hluill New Member

We had a great RP guild on LDL. We only used say and emote channels for communication. Sadly, LDL was merged into Crushbone and we have yet to recover. I wish I could move my guild to AB. But we are a tiny guild and it would take us years to rebuild there.
    Hevnoraak likes this.