SPRING ROAD TRIP (by Airship) 2020

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Paxos :
    St Nicholas Island:

[IMG]

Castle of Agios Nikolaos :

The Venetian
    castle
    of
    Paxos
    , now known as the
    castle of Saint Nicholas
    , began been built in 1423 and was completed in 1510. Built on top of the homonymous natural island opposite Gaios, it was constructed by the Venetian Baron of the island Adam II San Hipolito as a measure of protection from pirates and Ottomans.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

St. Ioannis

[IMG]

[IMG]

St. Nicholas

[IMG]

[IMG]

Loggos :

[IMG]

[IMG]

oops this is Loggos not Gaios

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lakka :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lighthouse Cape Lakka

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Geroblue, Leloes and Breanna like this.
  2. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

first of all this website has all my slides of Corfu ( not really mine ) all 5911 of them
    https://www.greeka.com/ionian/corfu/photos/

Paxos :

Tripitos Arch :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Grotte Azzurre : the Blue Caves :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Boikatika :

Sarakinos Cisterns :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Paxos Museum of Folklore:

[IMG]

From antique tools and supplies to prehistorical subjects and furthermore venetian pistols. The things that make this type of art gallery much more unique is the fact that items are amassed right from charitable contributions associated with Paxos locals.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Erimitis Beach
    Another of the most beautiful beaches along the wild west coast of Paxos is Erimitis beach.
    The cliffs here rise sheer and rugged from the water and there’s a huge pile of stone and boulders next to the beach which has fallen down from the cliffs.

[IMG]
  3. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

This is an example where I found one strange view of a place and I spend days to find more images .
    I found this photos in an unexpected place .
    Ypapanti Church , Ratatika Paxos

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

This is an amazing church!

And oooh, that water!
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

and all I had to begin with is a view through one of those holes in the wall at a dome of the church , but the description was
    intriguing . I also had no idea that the bell tower was a part of the complex .
    And yea I went to that part of the world on vacation for many years ,and the water is so clear that you can see the bottom over 10 meters away clear as you were looking into an aquarium .
    I always will fondly remember when my now husband went on vacation with my family in the former Yugoslavia.
    We always went over to an island on out little motor boat to get away from the crowds .
    When we got there he was jumping out of the boat thinking it was shallow , but he diapered under the waves lol.
    Breanna, Leloes and Nazy like this.
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I saw a few places like that in the Carribean Sea. Looked shallow, you could see fish on the bottom, but the bottom was well below our ship's keel.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Nice locations. Thanks.
    Breanna and Leloes like this.
  10. Nazy Well-Known Member

This spring road trip has turned into a fall road trip!
    Not that I'm arguing. I like seeing all the nice places.
    Geroblue and Leloes like this.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

this is not a trip anymore , I am only showing slides I made on the trip that Cyrrena organized , it was here who got us the best hotels and tours and food , even kept ttobey calm this time around
    so have a glass of wine or a cup of tea and enjoy the show .
    Popcorn anybody ? I got al sorts of flavors'.

I had planed to only show you around 2500 of my vacation slides , but . . . . . . . . .
  12. Nazy Well-Known Member

:eek:
    Leloes, Schmetterling and Geroblue like this.
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Argostoli :

De Bosset Bridge ( Drapano Bridge )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bosset_Bridge

De Bosset bridge (also called Drapano bridge) takes its name from the Swiss soldier, in the service of the British army, who built it in 1813. Its ancient structure was made of wood and served to connect the opposite side of the Koutavos lagoon with Argostoli.
    It was later rebuilt entirely in stone and is still functional and used today. Its length is about 900 meters, halfway there is the well-known obelisk that symbolizes it .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

turtles love the calmer waters behind the bridge, they even come in to the harbor to eat fish scraps the fishers toss to them.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

San Teodoro Lighthouse :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Bell Square :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampana_Square

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Saint Gerasimos Church :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

St. Gerasimos the New Ascetic of Kefallonia (+1579) is known as a renowned healer of the mentally ill and a grace-filled exorcist of the demon possessed. They flock to his holy shrine which contains his incorrupt relics to receive healing. His nickname is “Kapsalis” (“the burning one”), after the desolate place of Kapsala on Mount Athos, where the Saint lived as an ascetic.The demons cry out: “Kapsalis, you have burned us.

[IMG]

The older church containing the relics of St. Gerasimos is built directly over his cave and pilgrims are welcome to descend the ladder and squeeze through the tiny floor-level entrance that leads into the cave.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Geroblue, Leloes, Whilhelmina and 2 others like this.
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Kefalonia
    20 : 40 minutes
    weird music

Saint Gerasimo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerasimus_of_Kefalonia
    Argostoli :

Saint Gerasimos Cave , Lassi :
    the older church built over the saint's cave

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

this is the only picture I could find of the entrance to St. Gerasimose's cave being used .
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Panagia Sissiotissa :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

St. Nicholas Catholic Church :

[IMG]

[IMG]

Katavorthres
    Kefalonia Katavothres
    : On Kefalonia island, there is a place that one should not miss visiting. This is one of the world's most astonishing geological phenomena for which there have been many discussions. Katavothres is not difficult to reach, as it takes only 3 kilometers from Argostoli long the Fanari road. The sea water rushes in through some cracks in the rocks on the shore and vanishes underground

In 1835, the phenomenon was rare enough that the English built some corn mills and while earthquakes broke the water wheel amazingly nothing happened to alter this trend of water coming in and going under. One could well ask where the wheel was set up so as to work. They needed flowing water. This is where the rare geological formations came in to play.

At Katavothres the sea flows inland and enters sinkholes on the earth that is below sea level. It is assumed that there are caverns below the seabed which is where the water flows in. The mills used to be run in these holes. The water would flow swiftly through the artificial channels and the wheel would start spinning.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Leloes, Nazy and Breanna like this.
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Kefalonia :
    Assassins Greed Odyssey covers the map of Kealonia and all natural places of interest as one of 8 ancient Greek places

Melissani Cave :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissani_Cave

8 minutes
    https://www.greecehighdefinition.com/blog/2016/5/23/the-lake-cavern-of-melissani-kefalonia-greece
    19 beautiful pictures of the Lake in Melissani Cave

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Drogarati Cave :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

concert inside the cave
    https://www.facebook.com/kefaloniabyanna/videos/drogarati-cave-and-concert/1048790478484696/
    about 4 minutes mixed classical music

Mount Ainos National Park :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Ainos

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ainos wild horses

[IMG]

[IMG]

goats have the right of way , or frankly does it really matter ?
    [IMG]

so goats climb trees ?
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Kefolonia :

Assos Castle , Venetian Fortress
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assos_Castle

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Fortress of St. George

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Panagia Evangelistria (Our Lady of Good Tidings aka of the Annunciation), the former cathedral and its bell tower (in the inset how it was before the 1953 earthquake)

The protection granted by the fortress led to the development of Kastro (Castle), a small town outside the eastern bastion. Its main street lay between St. Theodore's and Panagia Evangelistria, the cathedral, which are the only remaining historical buildings of the town.

St. Theodore's, a small church near the entrance to the fortress; in the inset a Venetian coat of arms

[IMG]

[IMG]
    View of Argostoli from the fortress

[IMG]
    View towards Mt. Aenos (5,341 ft) and the southern coast of the island from the fortress of St. George

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Breanna, Geroblue, Nazy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Kefalonia :

Gentilini Winery :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sami :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami,_Cephalonia

4:15 minutes ( sexy song ) 0( # ^.^ # )0

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

In Gallery

[IMG]

[IMG]

IN Gallery
    is a fine art shop offering a huge selection of paintings, handicrafts, jewellery and ceramics all created or carefully chosen by it’s charismatic owner, Dana. An accomplished artist herself, Dana makes unique religious iconographies, original oils of Kefalonian scenes, custom paintings, hand painted ceramics and much more! All purchases are beautifully giftwrapped.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Breanna, Whilhelmina and Leloes like this.
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Breanna likes this.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Kefalonia :

Sami :
    exploring Caves

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Karavomilos Lake :
    is a scenic lake and a bit of a geological phenomenon. Saltwater from the sinkholes in Katavothres ends up here, but it is not as salty. The island either filters it through underground rivers and rock, or there is a source of freshwater mixing with it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Nautical Museum of Sami :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Sami :

Monastery of Mother of God :

chapel built on the site where shepherds found an old icon of the virgin Mary and Jesus
    and the ruins of the bell tower of the previous church .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This very old Monastery of Kefalonia is built on the slope of Agia Dinati near Makriotika. The location of the monastery gives visitors the opportunity to admire wonderful view to Ithaca and the Ionian Sea. It was founded in the late 10th century, in a green location , through a forest of oaks . It owes its name to either the commander of this ” issue” (“thema” in greek) of the island at that time or according to others, the fact that anyone who resorted to the assistance had ” issues “, problems to deal with. You can see the old wooden temple, but the icon of Virgin Mary of Themata, whose litany takes place every Tuesday after Easter when the monastery celebrates. On the same day and there is a big festival in neighboring forest of bushes. You will arrive in Themata by asphalted road from Makriotika, after stopping of course several times along the way to admire the view!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Fiskardo :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiskardo
    https://www.kefaloniabyanna.com/fiscardo-village/
    2 minutes

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]