SPRING ROAD TRIP (by Airship) 2020

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Cyrrena, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

my list from yesterday might have looked like along day , but it was more like long month for us and we had to run , so all our legs should be really well trained and we are good and ready to tackle your list Cyrrena .

I wonder what is going on with Leloes ? hes quietly following the group , but he has not said anything lately
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

I think he got in his new laptop so he is probably trying to get that up and going.

YUMMY!!!!! Hot Fudge Overboard Cake, I am definitely in, with ice cream of course.
  3. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Uwk and I tied for mini-golf today. So we got $2.50 each. I think my thickly painted green ball gave me a boost!
  4. Leloes Well-Known Member

Yep....trying to get my new laptop up and going......having a bit of time at it....never had a Lenovo before and the layout is slightly different than an Acer but I'm still tagging along....
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

@Leloes, I was told years ago that the keyboard had been standardized.

I suggested that person go look at the computers we had in the student lab, no two keyboards alike. The arrow keys and function keys were in different places.

I couldn't learn touch typing: one keyboard had a dots on the G key, another had an underline on the J key, another an underline on the D key, etc.

Some had the function keys on the left, some on the right, a few had them along the top of the keyboard. Some had separate arrow keys, some had the arrow keys only as part of the keypad. And one had a separate keypad.

Things have only slightly improved since.
  6. Balcerak Well-Known Member

This is getting creepy. I had a dream last night that had a middle aged couple (she had blonde hair, his was jet black) in it. For some reason we were on a lake and decided to try to get fish by throwing in small firecrackers. It didn't work. Then I set up a bunch of fish tanks in a house and caught wild fish with a net and put them in the fish tanks. But they all died quickly since there was chlorine in the water and it started to smell.

I left the house and noticed the blonde lady was behind me, sitting in a wheelchair and holding a basketball. The ball was green.
  7. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

next time try dynamite it works better than fire crackers , and I think your fish died because you put them into a slat water tank .
    about the people in your dream I would look into my family history , maybe one of your you're dearly departed wanted to get in contact with you , or maybe a living family member is in distress.

My mother once dreamed my sister was in trouble , and she was she was gravely sick with a tropical fever .
    another time my mother dreamt I was in a big house with 60 people celebrating Christmas next to a train track in a small town
    with a railroad crossing on both ends , guess what I was in such a place around that time , try to explain that.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I don't believe in lots of things like ghosts, flying potato skins, etc.

However, I have seen a few things over the decades for which I have no explanation.

"Oh look ! A Museum !"
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

10. Balcerak Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to figure out my obsession with green balls. Yup when we were in the boat we thought of dynamite, but inexplicably I suddenly found a bunch of firecrackers under the boat seat. We didn't figure it would work but tried anyway.
  11. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Many people say they have amazing dreams where they can fly or whatever. My dreams tend to be in large buildings with many doors. Odd things happen but they aren't really interesting. Eventually I find a bathroom and know I need to wake up because that means something!
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Just before sunset, about an hour before, Gero decides to ice skate around the islands. Well, there isn't any ice, but he will make do.

Now where did I put, ah there it is. My Handy dandy Icemaker and Ice Skating Kit.

"Water tank full, spring wound up. And i am off !"

Swoooosh, wheee !, glide !

a poem called The Juggler

His costume was declared,
    in three Western,
    and one Eastern counties,
    to be Very Loud,
    and Bell-like,
    but naught was done about it,
    for the joy he did bring,
    to the lives of young and old alike !

Flaming batons,
    canteloping watermelons,
    and bowling balls made of jello,
    were some of the specialties of The Juggler !

Dancing about,
    with a cat,
    whilst upon a taaaallll unicycle,
    was the middle of the act !

He had balloons,
    and quarter notes,
    from his flute,
    that he kept tucked in his boot !

For his Finale,
    He did dance upon a slack rope,
    while juggling his audience's former woes,
    upon his fingers and toes !
  13. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Good Day ROAD TRIPPERS!!!

Today is our third and final day on the island of Gran Canaria. I could probably put in another 3 days but we have to draw lines somewhere or we will never move forward. *points to the table next to her* I got all of these lovely Angry Birds backpacks, they have have Angry Birds Hoodies and T-Shirts, Hats, and mugs, as well as for some reason all these green golf balls *giggles* take as many as you like, there are many more where these came from!!! So lets get started!!

Our first stop will be the Necrópolis del Maipez. The El Maipés necropolis (in Spanish necropolis del Maipés) is an ancient burial site near Agaete on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria, province of Las Palmas in the Canary Islands off the west coast of Africa.

Second-largest necropolis of the Canaries after that of Arteara, the site is listed Spanish Heritage as a Property of cultural interest in the category "archaeological zone". Its particular geology, and subsequently its vegetation are also of notable interest. Here is a clip from a wiki:

The Maipes necropolis is one of the most spectacular burial sites on the island. It covers more than one square km with around 600, 700 or more small tumuli, dating from the 8th to 10th centuries. Some of the tumuli are more than 1,300 years old, which gives them the same range of age as those in the Arteara necropolis. The tumuli sit on volcanic ground, more precisely on an old lava flow that came out of the nearby volcanoes Jabelobo, Berrazales and Fagajesto.

The eruption brought forth an 11 km-wide flow of lava that followed the valley and reached the sea at Puerto de las Nieves. Later, the cemetery was established on a stretch of lava covering 25 ha (some 62 acres). After the Spanish conquest of the islands, some of that lava was covered with soil to allow for some farming. The tumuli are also built of volcanic rocks. Most of them are built on elliptic or round plans with a truncated cone outline. Some of them reach 8 m diameter and 3 m in height. Inside each tumulus is a pit with its sides marked by stone slabs, in which the deceased bodies were placed. Some coffins have also been found inside some tumuli.

The size and building refinement vary noticeably among the tumuli, indicating the social ranks of their occupiers. The particularity of some of these small tumuli are the stones that crown them, which are of different colours and texture than the surrounding volcanic material. The most common ones are a simple ring of volcanic stones, the more sophisticated ones are topped with turret-type stonework and were probably used to bury nobility. Most of the tumuli are occupied by a single individual; some shelter two individuals. Some children have also been buried in the cemetery. Part of the cemetery space has been surrounded with a dry-stone wall. Some tumuli were built beyond that wall; 8 corpses were found there. Historians think that these people were either Canarians deemed unworthy of burial in the proper ground, or foreigners having landed on the island before the Spanish conquest.

The site bears traces of one of the rare tsunami to be documented in the Canaries. It was created by a volcanic emission in the municipality of Güímar in Tenerife. These traces consist of white stains of marine deposits left behind by the tsunami waves beating on the steep sides of the valley.

How very interesting and what a way to start our day!!!! Now I think we may need to see the other one, the one that is larger than this one!!!

So off we go to Necrópolis de Arteara. Wow!!! This one is over 137k square meters, here is a link to the Gran Canaria website about it, the link to the Necropolis webpage does not work:

https://www.grancanaria.com/turismo/en/culture/archaeological-sites/arteara-necropolis/

Next we are going to the Cañada de Los Gatos. This is well preserved pre-Hispanic archaeological site. Here is a link to the Gran Canaria website:

https://www.grancanaria.com/turismo/en/culture/archaeological-sites/canada-de-los-gatos/

Our next stop is the Cueva Pintada Museum and Archaeological Park. This is a huge pre-Hispanic archaeological site which has over 50 houses and caves and rock paintings. Here is a link to the Gran Canaria website:

https://www.grancanaria.com/turismo...cueva-pintada-museum-and-archaeological-park/

Next we will be going to the Fundación de Arte y Pensamiento Martín Chirino - Castillo de La Luz. This was the original defensive structure built on the island. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.fundacionmartinchirino.org/inicio/el-castillo-de-la-luz/

Our next visit is the Datos de Museos de Gran Canaria. This is the largest archaeological museum in the Canary Islands. Here is a link to their website with a lot of information and photos of some of the things you may see:

http://www.elmuseocanario.com/index.php/en/the-museum/history

Leaping forward, we will be stopping at the Museo de la Ciudad y el Mar Castillo de Mata. This is the museum of City and Sea and how they link together. Speaking of links, here is a link for some information, scroll down past the city map:

https://www.grancanaria.com/turismo/en/culture/museums/datos-de-museos-de-gran-canaria/?id_museo=34

Next we will be going to the Museo Finca Condal. This is a large Museum that includes a Manor House, a botanical garden, a Hermitage, a winery, a shop that sells wine/cheese/books/ and other crafts made here in the museum, a display of vintage automobiles, and more. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.fincacondal.com/museum

Jumping ahead to the Tunte Settlement San Bartolomé de Tirajana. This is the Capital City of the Island of Gran Canaria. There is a lot to see in this city historically and modern. The pre-Hispanic cave system, the Cemetary, the winery, the Church, and more, here is a link to the website for this City:

https://turismo.maspalomas.com/sites/default/files/guia_tunte_en.pdf

Our next stop is the Cuevas de La Audiencia. The Caves of La Audiencia are part of an archaeological site, also called Risco Pintado . They were artificially carved out of volcanic tuff, although some of them were natural cavities. They were used as bedrooms, dormitories, barns, ovens, silos, tagoror ... A place worthy of admiration! The caves, more than 100 of them, were uncovered in 1939, after the construction of the road that connects Agüimes with Temisas.

Leaping back in time to the Los Letreros de Balos. This is a engraving station of sorts. Here is a link to a translated paged, with Balos Signs showing:

https://translate.google.com/transl...-interes-2/los-letreros-de-balos/&prev=search

Next we will be visiting the two FEDAC Craft Centers on Gran Canaria. FEDAC is The Foundation for the Ethnography and Development of the Canary Crafts (FEDAC), is an Autonomous Organism dependent on the Cabildo de Gran Canaria, organ of government and administration of this Island. Its objectives are focused on the study, recovery and development of the indigenous cultural elements, especially in the maintenance and development of the crafts of Gran Canaria.

In addition to the areas of action described below, the FEDAC is in charge of the management and control of artisan activity in Gran Canaria, granting the Artisan Card, maintaining the Registry of Artisans, distributing Guarantee Labels for artisan products and centralizing any aspect of crafts at the island level. FEDAC has a staff of just over 20 people, including technicians, administrative, accounting, store and junior staff, to which must be added the people hired for specific services, mainly artisans.

Museum fund of traditional objects We maintain a collection of ethnographic objects with the double objective of promoting the work of workshops in danger of extinction, and obtaining traditional objects and tools that serve as the basis for a future Ethnographic Museum of Gran Canaria and as a reference typology for the workshops that want to reproduce them. Real estate cannot be collected, so our action on this important cultural legacy is to carry out systematic inventories of all buildings associated with the economic activities of the traditional culture of Gran Canaria (agriculture, livestock, fishing, trade, industrial production and transportation). The inventories carried out have been transferred to each City Council to carry out the Municipal Catalogs of Protected Real Estate.

Although our main objective is to keep as many artisans as possible active, it is inevitable that some traditional crafts in Gran Canaria become unfeasible, lose their attractiveness and end up disappearing. In these cases, our position is to carry out exhaustive and rigorous work of compilation of the trade (typologies, work processes and social and environmental environment), from an ethnographic-anthropological perspective. Over the years, Fedac has published various books with the aim of disseminating the knowledge of master craftsmen, the results of their research program and the work carried out by third parties on topics related to this Institution. FEDAC teaches, organizes, finances and collaborates in craft courses throughout the year. In addition to those taught in its own premises (Casas-Taller), FEDAC participates with municipalities and other groups in introductory courses to artisan crafts in Gran Canaria. The Craft samples are small fairs in which the main objective is not exclusively the sale, but through the live presence of artisans exercising their work, showing visitors, materials, tools and production processes of the traditional trades of Gran Canaria.

They fund artisan participation in faires on the Island during different times of the year, but they have 2 permanent store locations that all artisans certified by FEDAC are able to sell their wares at as well as conduct classes in their certified trades. One is in Las Palmas and the other is in Maspalomas. You all know how I prefer to support local artisans and the local communities first and foremost. These shops have artisans specializing in the pre-Hispanic techniques of knife-making, pottery, lace-making, weaving, stone masonry, and basket-weaving. I foresee many house item purchases in my future and maybe some classes so I can learn to make some baskets and stuff!!!! On this link, there are 6 YouTube videos, on the 6 main crafts that I listed:

https://www.grancanaria.com/turismo/en/culture/crafts/

This next one is a "theme park" and will be our last stop before exploring some cities, then having dinner and cocktails and heading back to Tenerife.

Next we are off to the Mundo Aborigen. This theme park is a reconstruction of an old canary island village. In its interior you will see a reproduction of the guanche pre hispanic culture with more than 100 real-size figures doing daily life tasks, in the background you’ll hear animal sounds giving it more realism. This park has a trail with signs showing you the way to go, through which you will discover how the original guanches aborigines used to live. In the interior of this park you will also find an archaeological museum. The whole enclosure has been declared Historic, Social and Cultural Interest Site by the Canary Islands Government.

Now for a few of the more popular cities on Gran Canaria. The first one we are off to is El Centro de Interpretación Poblado de la Atalayita. This is actually an ancient village in a dead lava field, with lava stone huts.

Our second city is Santa Lucia. There is a lot to see here. We are going to take a short jaunt over to the Mirador La Sorrueda. This is a scenic viewpoint overlooking a dam where you can see up and down the valley, its gorgeous!!! There is a Church, a Sculpture Garden, a Mural, all within a few meters of one another as well as a couple of scenic overlooks.

Our next city is Vega de San Mateo. This city has one of the largest farmer's markets on all of the Canary Islands, Mercado Agricola Vega de San Mateo. Here you can buy locally grown fruits and vegetables, locally produced cheese, wine, honey, olives, spices, breads, eggs, candies, bakery goods, and mojitos!!!!

Next we are off to the City of Teror. Here we can visit the Casa del Perfume Canario. They have 3 different shops/museums but we are going to visit this one. You can have them craft a scent unique to you. Here is a link to their website:

https://casadelperfumecanario.com/

We will also stop by and see the Basilica de la Virgen del Pino. Which has a lot of gilt inside and a museum as well.

We will walk down the Calle Real de la Plaza. This is the main street running through Teror. There are a lot of shops as well as old buildings and houses with typical facades with flower and plant covered balconies.

Ok our next city is Bahia Feliz and we are only going there for Dino MINI-GOLF!!!! This is an 18-hole course that is rated as not too easy and not too hard!!! Figure that one out!!!

Ok slight change of plans since we have seen the cities and towns and I found these instead!!!!!

Mini Golf Neptuno in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria. This is an 18-hole course, they have pints of beer and ice cream too!!!

Next is the Europa Center Mini Golf. This is also an 18-hole course with pints of beer in frosted mugs, ice cream and arcade machines.

Our next one is Mini-Golf Subway. Another 18-hole course with pints of beer and ice cream!!! I am seeing a trend here!!!!

Running off to the Minigolf Taidia. This is another 18-hole course. But there is no beer or ice cream here, just the mini-golf!!!

And for our finale of Mini-Golf on Gran Canaria, the Minigolf Las Caracolas. This is an 18-hole course with a refreshment shop, who knows what we will find for sale in the refreshment shop???

Cocktail hour is 6 pm and dinner is 7 pm at a repeat again, of the 20/20 Steakhouse at the Ritz Carlton on Tenerife.

After dinner, I have scheduled a special double course 18-hole Red Course and 18-hole Yellow Course at Vivo Mini-golf on Tenerife. Here is a link to their website:

https://vivominigolf.com/

PS

I could make an entire day out of mini-golf stops in the Canary Islands that we did not see... let me know before I move us on...if I hear nothing, tomorrow, we will be moving on to the island of Madeira which is a territory of Portugal.
  14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

grabs all those green mini golf balls and paints angry birds on them .

I really liked the craft center , hmmm maybe I's should get a job there , I's do a lot of crafting in Norath .

that village with the fake people was really cool I like museums like that .

I loved , loved , LOOOOOVVVVEEED those houses with flowers hanging down and climbing up on trellises .

And I always like to see beautiful or interesting architecture .
    And I can't wait to get to that steak house I need some of those when I go back to Norath for those nasty
    Vampire Lords .
  15. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Schmet thought it was rootbeer and ice cream at the mini-golf stops and bought beer and ice cream floats. Now Schmet is a bit floaty.

Lots of history to look at and read up on.

I think I've had enough mini-golf for now. These beer/golf places made it so not enough of us was very serious about rules or anything and we have no idea who won.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Hmm. Bweeee !

Oh, I got one of the green golf balls to make orbit.

Hurrah !
  17. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

as long as it's not smoked beer , I will drink it .
    I would always recognize root beer and not drink that , I hate root beer I don't understand why anybody would drink sweet motor oil .
    I said this before I like " Almdudler " ( an Austrian herb soda) .
  18. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Aww... I love root beer, especially Barq's!
  19. Leloes Well-Known Member

I like Dad's root beer.....
  20. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Some people like liver with onions , some people like Sauerkraut , some people like anchovies , some like rhubarb, some people like Duran fruits some and some people like root beer .
    I am just a little annoyed when some people ( not anybody around here :) try to make you look like you lost your mind if you don't like what they like )