Spellshards and Foundations

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Morfydd, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Morfydd Active Member

I've been harvesting tier 8 on Freeport since the server came up (nearly 2 hours). About 100 rares, but no spellshards or foundations.
  2. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

Is there a min skill to obtain these ? my skill is only at 500, and I don't own the earring or the shawl atm so wondering if its worth to try at my skill or not ?
    Any info appreciated thank you :)
  3. Deveryn Well-Known Member

A modified skill around 600 will probably work out better, as noted here.
  4. Pixilicious Well-Known Member

ty for the answer and link
  5. Morfydd Active Member

No tier 8 drops in 2.5 hours. Well over 100 rares. Harvesting skills at 587. I see this as a non-event. So much for crafting the grandmasters.
  6. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I have a new character running through the level 10 questline in halas and just scored a foundation with 79 skill. It was only my 5th attempt at harvesting a node.
  7. Morfydd Active Member

Dev, that makes sense based on the beta drop rates. Tiers 1-5 drop pretty commonly - 1 every 10 to 15 minutes. When you get beyond that the drop rates go to very near zero.
  8. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Per Denmum:

Tier 10, 4 hours spent
    4000+ common harvests
    79 normal rares + 5 etherwood lumber, ZERO spellshards/foundations yet

My harvesting is a wee bit under hers, (Im running at 605) and I'm into hour two, no shards or foundations so far. I think it's time to brew some herbal tea, find a good album to play, and settle in for the long haul lol.
  9. Nubek Active Member

Sorry but the rarity of these things is beyond retardation.

My skills:
    All Harvesting at 625, with Mining at 635, Bountiful Harvest at 71.9% and Rare Harvest Chance at 8%.

Been harvesting for 2,5 hours straight and this is what I got:
    5600+ Common Mats
    29 Banyan Root
    18 Tungsten ore
    17 Bubinga Lumber
    14 Metallic Reptile Hide
    13 Osmium Cluster
    9 Black Star Sapphire
    7 Etherwood Lumber

So, I've harvested 107 tier 10 rares and I still haven't gotten a single Foundation/Spellshard. Come on!
  10. semisus Does not play this game

i like that its rare , wouldent be cool if you had all your grandmasters in a few days after its been released
    i personally have gotten 1 foundation in about 3 hours of work.
    Mycenia and Deveryn like this.
  11. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I went for four hours, on potions and with gathering gear, and I got basically the same proportion of rare items as you did and not a single Foundation or Spellshard, either. I don't think this is unusual, I would bet the plan is to let us go weeks between seeing these things drop.
    khameleon likes this.
  12. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Day 1 seems a bit early to be going through all this talk about harvest rates. Besides, it should be no surprise that these rares are actually rare. We've had lengthy discussions before about other items, like colossal reactants and rares from the pony / goblin. Nothing is changing.
    Xianthia likes this.
  13. Daray Well-Known Member

Personally, I like that they are rare. It might not go down well with the "instant gratification" crowd, but having new aspects of character advancement to work towards is always welcome.
  14. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it's all the stingy mistress that is RNG (I hate RNG :p) I harvested VI for over an hour when I saw my first foundation, took an additional two hours before got lucky and got a spellshard. My friend got two spellshards and no foundations in approximately the same amount of time.
  15. Xianthia Well-Known Member

how do you get the bountiful to 71.9% if you don't mind me asking? I've got as high as 66% and thought that was the highest. Thanks and hope your luck changes soon. :)
  16. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'm going to take a pair of educated guesses here. My first guess is that neither Bountiful Harvest or Rare Harvest are going to help. Let me explain.

Rare Harvest Chance is calculated separately from the actual harvest pull. It is basically a straight percentage chance that you'll get something from the Rare Harvest table for that node. If the percentage comes up, you get a rare. This has to be from a separate table than the usual harvest for the node, because you never get common mats from Rare Harvest procs. I would also bet that spellshards and foundations were not added to this table because dev wants to keep the supply of them low.

Considering that Rare Harvest Chance gets its own table...I suspect but haven't done any harvesting yet to confirm. Anyone that has gotten a spellshard or foundation: Did you get a regular harvest as well? In other words, I'm asking if the spellshard came on an additional line or was it in the spot that a regular harvest would of been in?

My bet is that the spellshard/foundation comes in a separate line because dev introduced a new table for spellshards/foundations that gets checked once each pull instead of with each harvest so that Bountiful Harvest doesn't have any effect. Though if harvesting skill has a real effect then it might be on the regular and bonus table in which case Bountiful Harvest would have an effect.

So knowing what line it comes out on when a harvest is reported would be really helpful to figuring this out.

The regular chance of getting a rare is somewhere under 0.05% after tier 8. Rare Harvest chance totally blows the regular harvest rate away. If regular rares are hard to come by, just how much less of a chance do you think there will be for these super rares? I'm estimating that you'd need to log over 200,000 pulls to start getting a statistically significant number. It actually might be a million depending on if its 100 times more rare.
  17. Meirril Well-Known Member

So I went harvesting, and got lucky once.

The event was the 3rd pull on a lumber node. The only result I got from it was the Prismatic Foundation.

This doesn't really prove anything. It could be it was added to the normal and/or bonus harvest table. It could be a separate roll before anything is determined that replaces a normal harvest roll. I will say that my one foundation did not come from the "bonus rare" chance, and there was no double harvest on that event.

Has anyone seen a foundation or spellshard that reported a double harvest or bonus rare in the same event? Or is everybody getting the same kind of event that I did?
  18. Nubek Active Member

Why shouldn't people who went through all the effort to get all the harvesting gear not get a bonus when trying to harvest these items?
    Alenna, Daalilama and Feldon like this.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

First thing: We don't understand the mechanic behind Spellshards and Foundations well enough to say how any of this works. All we know for certain is they aren't raining out of the sky or dropping at rates like normal rares do.

Second thing: Dev decides what rate they want these to appear in game. Then they decide how its going to interact with the existing system. If they have done a good job of it, there should be some bonus to using the right gear. Some people mentioned that there might be some bonuses tied to the next expansion and new abilities.

Unless you have an intimate knowledge of how the whole spellshard thing works, it is way too early to be complaining. Right now we should be compiling information. Not just complaining about how frustrated you are about your experience.
    Dulcenia and Avahlynn like this.
  20. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Correct. Let's compile some data, for the benefit of all. There is no race to get these materials, we all must let our apprentices do their research for near to two weeks (depending on coaching you give and all), so now is a good time to take stock and see what is what in a methodical manner.