Spells/CA's you don't use on an SK.

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Zarnafien, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

Older player trying to simplify a bit my hot bars. I like having a variety of skills but with 5 full hot bars it is a tad overwhelming. Are there any CA's you don't use due to lack of damage or utility? Will group and solo/molo. Thank you.
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I don't want to advise. Everyone decides for himself. SK for those who know what he wants from him.. And so, yes, there are some. For example, for me, these are such that make your groupmates -raiders wallow like corpses (some don't like this). And it depends a lot on what levels your SK is at. It's one thing if he is 55 lv, another if he is 110. It very much depends on whether you play with others for the most part or prefer solo. Also, why is this a problem? You can place hotbars anywhere on screen and allocate all these buttons on screen as you want. It’s not need to put them all bottom..
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Raff Well-Known Member

At end game...you'll likely have 10 bars and be wanting more.
    Svenone and Breanna like this.
  4. Xavion Well-Known Member

heres a few that are meh you can skip
    • siphon strength (until new xpac its useless)
    • death march (only good for the immunitys in a few situations rarely used)
    • devouring mist (you can skip it or use it but the debuff is lackluster better off using bulwark)
    • harm touch (upgrade from prestige is better)
    • Chaos Cloud (skip it new grave sac is better)
    • pledge of armament (only good if you have the fighter rune)
    • unholy blessing (useless as itll get eaten up as fast as you can cast it only good for a bootleg temp healer moment)
    • pestilence (skipable range is horrible and the spread effect will probly never work unless you hit a near dead mob by sheer luck)
    • cleave flesh (debuff is garbage idk if mobs even have wisdom stat anymore?? meh damage)
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

yes.. sometimes it reminds dances from chinese films about wushu (many effects but not enough fight)
  6. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

Thank you for answering my question.

To Ra, I'm an older player dealing with memory issues. Getting the ones that are obsolete or not very useful off my hot bars will help me enjoy the game better. Raff, 10 hot bars--Hell no. I'm woozy with just 5.
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Oh, my memory blocks too sometimes fall off :oops: ,but you nevertheless check up even so in practice and what he advises to remove - SK has enough time for spells that seem useless to someone
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

Admittedly, a lot of those skills are passive buffs. But end game bosses can strip their effects from you & if you don't have them on your bars? You'll be far less effective because you won't know they are gone. Not to mention cells (full bars of) for clickies, potions, mounts, self heals, salvaging, singular focus (at times), harvesting, debuffs, friend buffs...oh the list goes on and on.

Zarn my friend, you have barely scratched the surface of the skill bar needs for a complete character. :)

So 5 bars??. Maybe for solo / molo. But not for grouping, I would think. Unless you were just running with friends/ family.
  9. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

Thank you for that info. Good point about not knowing I lose buffs if I don't have them on my hot bars as I currently have it set up.
    I think from y'alls input I'll mess around with Darq and try to set up hotbars around the screen-specially putting all my buffs on one I can monitor. My goal is to do heroics so I don't want to be a total ****. Thank you again.

While this thread is getting some action-any advice for a returning player that is a need to know?
  10. Observing Active Member

I wonder if it is higher DPS to cast Grave Sacrament, wait 20 seconds, then hit Death March and Chaos Cloud every 1:50 rather than just chain casting Grave Sacrament every 1:30
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Because of the possibility of debuffs, I create macros and put two buffs in each, then use those on the hotbars. It's still fairly easy to see what's been debuffed and re-apply, and frees up some hotbar space.

Really, casting order and what spells you use will vary depending on your own stats and AA. It's perfectly possible to calculate spell efficiency, and see which spells are doing how much DPS, then sort in decreasing order and get rid of the underperforming stuff. There are a couple of old forum posts that link to spreadsheets doing this sort of calculation, and the one for wizards/warlocks can be repurposed for any class (assuming you know some Excel).

I ground my SK from 60 to 98 in the last week or two, and I think I'm going to have to clear all her hotbars, do some calculations in an Excel spreadsheet, and re-do all the hotkeys. Especially since BoL has changed at least some AA selections, for example, some otherwise meh spells now have a combat mitigation debuff, which might or might not make them worthwhile. We're gonna all have to carefully read all the AA choices and probably respec some.

Also, if you were 110 yesterday, then today (when and if we ever come back up) remember to reset you XP/AA slider!
    Breanna likes this.