Spell Effects

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Miviel, Nov 13, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Miviel Guest

Currently level 11 Sorcerer and haven't decided on warlock or wizard. My question is what do the warlock casting effects look like? The reason I picked Sorcerer over conjurer was I fell in love with the casting effects and damage that I can do alone. Wizard has the fire and ice spells so I can pretty much guess what they'll look like but what about the warlock disease and such spells?
  2. ARCHIVED-Miviel Guest

Guess it's still too early to get opinions huh? Any beta players can chime in if they have opinions please.
  3. ARCHIVED-Light_Mage Guest

It seems like there is no warlocks yet. However, I see a LOOOOT of wizards
  4. ARCHIVED-Miviel Guest

Hmm funny. Well thats another reason to do Warlock then. Less of us. I was gonna be a summoner thru the first few levels then all I noticed were beetles everywhere and it made me think about the other choices. Then at the trial I figured sorcerer seems really cool, blowing things up and such so I choose it. Glad I did.
    Message Edited by Miviel on 11-17-2004 02:07 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-furri Guest

The warlock spell effects are really lacking. Most of them that I've seen/used so far are just small green clouds. :smileymad:
  6. ARCHIVED-Elemence Guest

Yeah I was afraid of that, I wanted to go warlock for some roleplay stuff and being able to turn into a frog and bat I thought was kinda cool, but, would rather have the l33t wizard effects then green puffs. any higher lvl warlock or beta warlocks post about the later level effects? I'm sure lots of people are interested.
  7. ARCHIVED-Miths Guest

This has been a concern of mine as well, seeing as I love flashy spell effects. Enough to make me forego a class I would otherwise prefer.

The question has been asked a couple of times, here and in the sorcerer forum - is there really no one who would be kind enough to post some screenshots of a few of the warlock spell effects? I realize that they may only be from the spells in the low 20's, but just a few examples would be great. Preferably of the prettier effects of course - if there are any, which seems to be the concern.
  8. ARCHIVED-Sparrow_Xythereal Guest

There is of course roleplaying aspects to being a warlock, but you will have to give up the flashy spell effects. That is more the wizard arena. Expect a "puff" of green mist as poison.

Moonshadow
  9. ARCHIVED-Feena Guest

I have a warlock friend and he's jealous of how my spells look if that makes any differance. All of his are just as everyone else has said, the normal green cloud of smoke under your character (everyone gets some effect like that at 20). Chilling Wind is like seeing Freeze cast on every mob in the group at the same time. Breath of the Tryant has you doing a little dance (the old blaze spell casting motion) then a fire ball drops from the sky and hits the enemy. With ball of fire you build up a fireball in your hand then shoot it off (starts really small, then gets bigger and bigger when you're near the end of casting) that explodes once it hits the enemy. Lightning Flash looks kinda like the Orc Mastery Strike spell (probably gnoll as well) where you shoot out a ball of power that explodes hitting all the mobs.
    My warlock friend has a green cloud of smoke under his spells. Nothing else.
  10. ARCHIVED-Miths Guest

Okay, I think the last description works pretty much as well as screenshots. Thanks.
    Looks like I will have to head down the path of the Wizard then, even though I think Warlock would have been more befitting of a Freeport citizen.
    I usually play melee characters in rpgs (both online and singleplayer), but when I do go for a mage character I certainly want a good amount of sparkling colors and crazy particle effects :).
  11. ARCHIVED-Selleck Guest

lol. What is this small puff of green smoke everyone keeps talking about? Well, I hit 20 the other day and so the only spell I have so far is Negative Absolution and I think the spell effect it hot. While casting a purple swirl of dark energy starts to wind its way up my character and then a green ball flies out and hits each mob causing them to glow neon green for a bit. ALl my friends immediatly said, "Sweet!, who casted that spell." I play the game in balanced mode with some things turned up....not sure if that matters. Anyways, I'll let you know if I start to see this puff of green smoke everyone startes talking about as I level up.

Also, it sure was fun turning my friend into a toad halfway through a fight. I didn't tell him I had the spell so he assumed the mob we were fighting did it to him. He was like, "**ZOMG**!?!?! We've fought these mobs like a hundred times and they've never done this before!! It lasts 2 hours!! **ZOMG**?!?!?!" I was rolling.