+ SPELL DAMAGE vs. +INT

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-BigPapa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-BigPapa Guest

This will be my first posting in ANY public forum, ever.
    I have been playing EQ2 since Jan. 07, I have never played any MMORPG before. My 1st toon is a Paladin, that I have progressed to lvl 70. I currently have a lvl 63 necro and I do not think I'll ever roll the Pally again, unless a guildie needs a tank or something. Anyhow, I'm gettin windy and i dont want to.
    I currently am using lvl 52 Meldrath's Control Staff +13sta +12agi +25int AND +40 to spell damage. http://www.lootdb.com/eq2/item/-128573691
    Is there a formula that will help me to figure what the INT would need to be on a replacement weapon or combo of 1 hander and symbol, to increase the spell damage from the current staff. I equipped +55 INT with a 1 hander and a symbol, and the Spell damage was significantly lower. By lower, I mean when I examine my spells the damage of the spells was still 30-40 (at the top and bottom damage range) lower.
    I appreciate any insight I can get.
  2. ARCHIVED-Sabutai Guest

BigPapa wrote:
    I guess would depend on your overall INT. If you had very little INT adding any significant amount like that 55 would probably be better than the spell damage, if you're over like 500 or something, can't recall what the diminishing return threshold is atm, adding more INT doesn't do a whole lot and +spell damage becomes more attractive, since its guaranteed damage on every landed spell.
  3. ARCHIVED-knightofround Guest

My rough approximation for my warlock is +25 spell damage = 30 INT = 1% spell crit. Of course its probably different for you necros depending upon your casting speeds.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cornbread Muffin Guest

knightofround wrote:
    I don't see how you could approximate a straight correlation between two factors that increase linearly (spell damage, spell crit) and a factor that increases on a curve (int bonus to spell damage).
    BigPapa, the answer depends entirely on your total intelligence score, as mentioned above. If you have 40 intelligence and switched out a 25 int/40 spell damage staff for a 55 int staff you would probably see a boost from the int. Since I assume you're in the 400 range on int the boost you get from each further point is much smaller, and so the spell damage - which is not on a curve at all - will be much better. I recommend collecting spell crit and spell damage items regardless of the intelligence on the item. You can easily boost your int to reasonable levels with the remaining slots.
    As for formulas, I don't believe anyone has ever spent the time working it out - we just know that the int bonus is on a curve.
  5. ARCHIVED-BigPapa Guest

I should have clarified the INT earlier. At lvl 67 I'm 670ish INT self-buffed, I have been lucky in that, I have my complete EoF set ready to go when I ding 69 and I'm about 40% legendary as it is. I just feel foolish running around with a fabeled lvl 52 staff, but it keeps being effective, so I guess I'll just roll with it.
  6. ARCHIVED-Sosumya Guest

BigPapa wrote:
    lucanic staff, grizfazzle, or unrest wand of plasma would be better based on your group/raid experience and ability.