Soups

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by firestorck, Jan 26, 2015.

1. firestorck Member

Was on Oasis earlier today. We were chatting about things. I mentioned the soups I do. Well here is one of the recipes. Remember it is a flexible one. Don't be shy in changing it for your tastes and needs.
    1-2 ham bones with the meat on. At least two to four pounds of meat
    1 lb to 1.5 lb bag of split peas
    salt to taste. I use at times those flavoured salts. I do have to use ionized salt in my case.
    spices to taste. Like Savory, sage, etc..
    Optional
    mushrooms, rice(can be basic brown, white, wild, or a import even), Garlic, etc...
    Potatoe flakes to help thicken if desired
    4 or 5 qt crockpot. 5 is better. place the ham bone(s) in the crockpot. cover with water. cook on high while you are awake at home. Night time and or while gone have on low. cook for at least 24 hours. Make sure water level stays up. Once the meat has fallen off the bone. It is up to you if you want to remove the bones from the soup. I keep them in for the goodness they provide.
    I then add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot. Let cook for at least eight more hours. If not thick enough, about a half cup of potatoe flakes. let cook for at least two more hours. Serve.
    Once cooled, the soup can be refriged for up to a week. Also, this can be frozen for as needed.
    Griff likes this.