Soulburn and the "Heroic" AA line in DoV

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-baranlron, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-baranlron Guest

I just finished all other AA lines (Yay!) and I'm now ready to start on the "Heroic" line. The AAs look amazing and I'm excited to get started.
    My question is the very last AA in the line. Since you can only pick one of the three which is the best? Soulburn looks fun and powerfull but only if the ability actually crits, uses crit bonus and potency? Do any necros out there know if these "bonuses" apply to the damage of Soulburn? Currently, when soloing, my pet normally casts a 22k & 20k spell on a given encounter. So if Soulburn doesn't crit and really only does 75% of the pets life (currently only 22k on my mage pet) then that kinda sucks if its going to nearly kill him.
    Which final AA ability do you think is better?
  2. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

Soulburn is affected by everything except spell double attack, it's our best Heroic Endline for groups/raids AAs spec.
  3. ARCHIVED-baranlron Guest

So a good necro would queue up the Tank pet and buff him with defense to maximize the HP. This would give him HPs (for my non-raid gear) around the high 30s. So casting Soulburn would do around 50-60k? Since that damage comes from the pet he'd probably grab agro and simply die as he'll be down to 1 HP right? Demensional portal a mage pet and gtg.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rhadamanthys Guest

baranlron wrote:
    This really isn't a good way to do more damage. Even in the time you cast SB your mage pet would have done more damage to counteract the weaker SB. I use SB with the tank pet, however, to hold aggro when soloing harder mobs. The energy clash ability doesn't really generate any aggro, and only helps if you rip; but then you usually just rip right back if you do anything. So to keep him from dying with SB, either put the 3 stoneskin up (or the one that drains power instead of hp), stun the mob (if stunnable), or perfectly time a tainted heal.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

baranlron wrote:
    You vastly underestimate Soulburn :) A non-raid geared necro can easily do 120K+ Soulburn solo with a mage pet (assuming you have DoV gears and don't still wear lvl 82 MC). Obviously, it goes up in groups with HP/pot/CB buffs from the other classes.
  6. ARCHIVED-Noviets Guest

Ragnaphore wrote:
    It's not effected by Crit, or Crit bonus, as it cannot crit, same with LB :p
  7. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

Noviets wrote:
    Did you really bump a 4 months old post to say something so blatantly wrong as "Soulburn can't crit" ?
    Grats ! Next time try it before posting, you won't look so silly :)
  8. ARCHIVED-KelvereseJAysen Guest

Noviets wrote:
    (1331354577)[Fri Mar 09 22:42:57 2012] Kaiyines' Soulburn critically hits training dummy for 237214 magic damage.

Tell me more about how Soulburn isn't affected by anything.