Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Smite Active Member

I would strongly recommend that contingency plans be put in place to cap Everquest 2 as a solo/duo/small group intranet/offline game behind the scenes the next 6-18 months if...

... the sunset decision seriously hits the table...

[EQ2 Producer knows what the criteria actually are...]

... or the Developers in charge feel that their ability to contribute to the world of Norrath is as diminished (smaller team) as J.M. Straczynski felt his was when he could only secure funding for cheap Babylon 5 direct to DVD movies.

[All the remaining Devs can speak to this point internally now]

_ _ _

Don't let this end - not on your terms -. Use this next expansion to really finish the endgame and possibly fix the mentoring and merc system to be applicable as a non-MMO conversion of the game.

Legacy: Put the caps in the client so that the MMO could be a single or small player offline/intranet single purchase RPG-Frankenstein if worse comes to worse. Keep it a secret if you must but don't SWG all the players by fibbing to the last day and then locking up EQ1/2 in a vault like Disney Cartoons that won't see the light of day.

I look forward to mobile, console, and Voxel/Storybricks non-MMO titles to come from Daybreak in the future but I'd at least like to be able to start my old Quad Core 20 years from now and show people Everquest 2 along with all those SPRPG classics I used to play at the turn of the Millennium.
    Simparri likes this.
  2. Charlice Well-Known Member

Just hope for good things, and don't spread doom. That's all I wanted to say really.
    Merriel, Kalderon, Alenna and 3 others like this.
  3. Gourdon Well-Known Member

Your Surface is probably at least $999, probably more, but it's also running on a year and a half old processor design if it's the Surface Pro 3. The current and next generation processors have a lot more transistors pushing the graphics.

I agree with you for other reasons. Landmark is a game in development. It is being constantly changed, so it isn't optimized at all. Usually, game test rigs have high end cards because developers run unoptimized code. It could be that Landmark will be a constant beta mode game and not very playable on anything but a PC class tablet, but EQNext will probably see some optimization before it sees wide release.
  4. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

The community has a ton to do with the great things eq2 offers. Making it into an offline/intranet single player game would ruin that.

Eq2 isn't going anywhere right now...and we can have a lot to say about that if we keep supporting it and the remaining developers. The EQ franchise has got the best community out of any mmo I've played. That's what has kept these games going and we can keep them going if we continue with our support of the franchise.
  5. Beaue Member

Hi all,
    I know there are a lot of us cautiously and with great concern, watching this forum. We don't tend to say a lot but it sure is good to read some of these posts and a relief to see some red names posting here too. EQ2 is our home. Our families play and gather here when we live too far away and can't be together. I met my husband of 10 years here. We bought our first house here! It's much more than a game to us.

Anyway, we may not know all of you, but we love this community. We love this game and everyone associated with it. (well, almost everyone :) One thing I've learned through the years is that things change. Sometimes it's sad, but you have to" keep on keepin on"

Just one more thing ----WRATH on Everfrost is recruiting!! :) Send me a message if interested! LET'S PLAY!
  6. Bashem Well-Known Member

Merriel and suka like this.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

Merriel likes this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

we should stay positive and give it a chance. People don't realize the damage a negative post can do. yeah they think they are just spouting off steam. but there are people who read the forums that believe all they read. not just teenagers, but grown-ups too. i have had several people write to me asking if it will turn out alright because they are upset by what they read in the forums.

i try to explain that when people are worried, they tend to spout off and say the worst things. but it doesn't help. there are people with problems with depression, autism and other real problems who play this game as therapy. when they see a lot of negativity around every change that comes to the game, even when it is good but also when it is confusing, they become worried and more depressed. they think that the people writing have an inside edge somehow. so they believe that the game is over and they might as well quit.

please, when you write in any forum, consider the impact of your words. not on the devs or the company because really you have very little impact on them, but on the people who are hanging on your every word and believing the worst.

when people get worried and depressed, they sometimes think a permanent solution is better than waiting to see if it will work out. that could mean quitting, if they aren't too involved in the game, or something worse. we have a responsibility to those around us. choose your words wisely.
  9. Balbasur Active Member

Eq2 is a revenue producer, they will kill off Eq1 before this.
    Merriel and Eles like this.
  10. Balbasur Active Member

IMO a better idea would have been to keep the same staff on the profitable games, just lay off the unprofitable teams. Then leverage the franchises and products(SOE mote) to mobile.

I would also question where they are going to find the developers to go after mobile, prob going to need to assemble a new team.
    Merriel likes this.
  11. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

I'd like to contract you to make nunchuks for brawlers. :p
  12. Kyrros New Member

Swordchucks, yo!
    suka and Merriel like this.
  13. Polychrome Member

Which doesn't particularly worry me. They're cramming the hardware into smaller and smaller devices every day. I'm not really thinking so much of what I have now so much as what I will have or be able to have a few years from now. For all we know this thing could be running on Hololens. (Now THAT would be nifty.)

The odd thing is that Landmark may have hefty system needs, but actually puts them to good use. I don't think I ever had graphics run smoothly in Everquest 2, no matter what hardware I threw at it, and it doesn't seem to be affected for better or worse if I'm doing other things. (For example, playing Blu-rays, running shops in other MMOs in the background, etc...) Landmark? When it's not crash-happy, it's nice and smooth.
    Merriel likes this.
  14. KaiskDarkPhoenix Member

It's been a fun 2 1/2 years playing EQ2. Sadly, I think we may be seeing the real "Age's End". I'm not optimistic about EQ2 (or any former SOE game) right now, and I think there won't be an EQ2 this time next year :( I just don't wanna go back to the stupid, immature, sexist, racist kids that have overtaken RuneScape, nor do I wanna even start with WoW again (Lord NO!!!) I will go down with the EQ2 ship and will stay until the lights in Spellbound guild hall go out for the last time and Permafrost server goes down for good. I've had a good run with Kaisk, Dairyqueen, Habanero, Goodaa, Tiamaaht, Schmackdownn, Khaarmah, Kermiee, Gidgey, Cheetaarra, Burrpp, Peanutbuttah, and Erikkaa, and even got Kaisk to level 100. I'm not very happy now...:(
    Merriel and Pipsissiwa like this.
  15. Kilathian New Member

Show your post, and like it. By the way off topic, I have seen the undercoverboss, and I did send a message to Baja Fresh CEO and he thanked me , and he said awesome thing to me and he said to drop a E-mail anytime.
    Merriel likes this.
  16. Kilathian New Member

Merriel I meant I saw your post. not show.
    Merriel likes this.
  17. Kahonen Active Member

Interesting results of some "digging" on the internet.

It appears that Columbus Nova is part of the Renova Group:

http://www.renova.ru/en/structure/company/detail/130/

(Follow link, click on company logo and then select history on page that follows)

So, unless I'm very much mistaken, EQ2 appears to now be Russian owned.

Anyone considered credit card security in the future? Looks like you USA chaps won't be looking at any class-action lawsuits in the future so it won't simply be the rest of the world being ignored when they have a security breech. Given the screaming that went on about the Euro players being sold off to ProSieben Sat last year, everyone seems remarkably laid back about this aspect this time round.
  18. beagley Well-Known Member

Your time digging was wasted, I'm afraid. You simply had to read this thread.

If it's Russian ownership angle thats worrying you, I refer to back to the end of page 14 of this thread and the pages subsequent to that for peoples comments.
    suka, Merriel and Kittybock like this.
  19. Kahonen Active Member

Given the speed of the forums at the moment, I can assure the digging was a lot quicker :mad:
    Kittybock likes this.
  20. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

The 'screaming' as you (rather insultingly to those of us affected) put it was more due to planned player/server segregation, price differences & primarily the specific choice of company (Prosieben themselves) - their existing stable of games and how the company was run as far as CS, Micropayments, Hacking & Security etc, rather than it's Nationality. They could have been a US company, a Russian one, an Australian one - that wasn't the issue (beyond a few concerns over Germany's rules about game violence etc).

The nationality of a company in no way dictates how they will run things, how secure they will be or how they will treat their customers, regardless of any concerns anyone may have over the Government of the home country (which I can only assume is the problem some have with Russia - but the government isn't the same as the people and businesses IN that country).

Is the Renova group (and much more importantly CN) well run & successful? Are they above board, paying all taxes and treating their subsidiaries & staff fairly? Do they have a good record on security? These are way more important issues than nationality. A company can be 'dodgy' and have dubious practices, security or links where-ever in the world they come from.

If you look into most companies and their investors, parent/sister companies etc you can always find something you dislike if you look hard enough. You have no idea where your money is really going to any large company, however huge, famous or whereever in the world they are 'based'. As customers, who of us know any depth about Sony, a Japanese company?

I'm sure plenty will disagree, but this seems a staggeringly trivial thing to be worried about. I don't understand why links to Russia matter so much. It's a very US thing it seems.