Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

Customer privacy and security is always a top priority, so your information will remain in the same, secure environment. No PPI or data is exchanging hands.
  2. Griff Well-Known Member

3. semisus Does not play this game

will there be new prices or sales for former soe games anytime soon with daybreak now in charge?
    been considering buying the new expansion
  4. Arieste Well-Known Member

This is a quote from Smedley. Does anyone have any information on what this "roster of companies" is? What "proven track record in similar industry" do they have - like what MMOs or just RPGs in general have they owned the developers for?

I've not really been able to find much info on this company that's not investor-speak and their website doesn't seem to have a list of companies.
  5. Kittybock Well-Known Member

As an FYI, just hit Google for more details. It is all over the news.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Cube Active Member

its over. everquest and all other SOE series are dead.
  7. Anamathae Member

This makes me nervous. After playing many MMO's out there, I have seen large companies "take over" or "acquire" other companies and their products, only to either bastardize, gut, or break apart said products to a P2W model or worse. With this, come higher subscriptions, real money transactions to get otherwise what was normally available to the products before the take over, all in the name of profit. What assurances do we get from Daybreak as loyal paying customers, that this great game that has endured for 10+ years, that this will not happen to EQ2?
  8. isest Active Member

I just read that and I am still having a hard time with this statement

"Sony Online Entertainment is to become Daybreak Game Company and turn its focus to multi-platform gaming. The company been acquired by Columbus Nova and is now an indie studio"

- That right there scares me. I know we already been told that does not affect us, but pardon me I lived through the NGE, and we all know how that went down.
  9. Squirtikiss Member

Archeage is a horrible game. If this game goes the way of AA, I will be done with EQ2.
  10. Arieste Well-Known Member

Same assurances as every other MMO on the market - absolutely none. Any game can get shut down tomorrow. That's life.

But.. EQ2 has not been sold off. EQ2 is still being run by the same company. Just that company is owned by a different parent company. It's not the same thing as - for example - buying Vanguard, where the game itself was sold and began to be run by a different developer (SOE). The developer of EQ2 is still the same. Just has a different name.

Can/Will there be changes? Sure. Same as everywhere else. For example, ESO didn't get sold, yet it went F2P last week, which is a massive change. MMOs last a long time and things change. That's just how it is.
  11. Mysstie Well-Known Member

Oh boy. I wonder how long this forum will last? It can't stay part of the sony.com domain now.

Hopefully in the future Xbox's and Smartphones won't be required to play new DGC games.
  12. Mogrim Well-Known Member

Hey Norrathians, if you love this game, support it. Now more than ever. Why? Because you can bet Columbus Nova will be paying extra attention to what is making good profit margins and what isn't. So encourage your friends to come back to the game, recruit a friend, splurge on that SC item you were probably going to buy anyway. There is no point sounding alarms, but at the same time, its always good to give a new parent company a good impression.
    Pipsissiwa, Belenos, Siren and 7 others like this.
  13. Squirtikiss Member

Even if the game continues as is, will we still be able to use game cards to pay for a subscription? I do not own credit cards, (never will), so these cards are my method of payment. I normally buy cards months in advance, but now I wonder if I should buy more at all. I have enough to last me through May. I almost bought a few yesterday. I am glad I did not.
  14. Baphmistra Active Member

Well it's been fun, but now that SOE steps back I've got a bad feeling about this. Every time I get interested in a game, something like this happens, it happened with Second Life (granted that was just LL banning Sploders, but it still stunk), and it's happening here. Thankfully I've taken lots of screenshots, and I advise all of you to do the same. Thank you SOE I've had fun playing your games.
  15. Kosovos Member

This does not bode well. I have a feeling this new company (since it's private we won't have much say) will look at EQ1 and EQ2 and say "LOL why are these games still here? *cancels*"

It all bodes badly.
    Gaealiege and Berserkerkitten like this.
  16. Winterfell New Member

I'm scared : / I love EQ2 and I am more than happy to keep my membership and ocassionally buy SC for appearance items. The SOE customer service has always been great for me. Other companies whose games I have played do micro-charges, are "Pay to Win" and have HORRIBLE customer service so I am very concerned that EQ2 continues the way it has been in those areas.
  17. NickStern Active Member

Time to take the blinders off and get a glimpse of reality.
    Gaealiege likes this.
  18. Avithax Well-Known Member

Will Columbus Nova back up Daybreak financially if another breach were to happen or are they considered 2 different companies with divided assets and obligations. Sony backed SOE so I wasn't concerned but there seems to be an initial step to shield the parent company by not just naming it Columbus Nova.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  19. Hot_Rod Member

If Daybreak Studios returns to the "Play your Way." motto I would consider renewing my sub. The recent nerfs to "old content" (and Player dungeons) destroyed my enjoyment of the game (all 23 characters most max level).
  20. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Well, this has certainly been the highlight of gaming news today.

Will be interesting to see when/if there's a convention this year.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Griff like this.