Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Detor Active Member

I'm kind of scared too - Sony was a known game company and they pretty much let SOE run itself it seemed, Columbus Nova being a private equity investment firm probably has ideas for how to enhance revenue (those kinds of company's don't buy things unless they think they know a way to make the company earn more money than it was making under previous ownership). Like Gourdon said though - hopefully they want to invest and grow the company (more money via more players playing the game is something we all want), and it isn't a Bain Capital kind of takeover.
  2. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Wow... Not sure what to think about this.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Tylia and Griff like this.
  3. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

The plan is to continue the current path of development and operation for EQ2. It also means that there will be more resources available as a result of this acquisition :)
    Marina Mawr, Awkk, Pipsissiwa and 9 others like this.
  4. Lamatu Active Member

micro-transaction's and consoles here we go.
    Gaealiege and Ridolain like this.
  5. Misstake Well-Known Member

What does this mean for SoE Live? I finally am getting to go this year and even have baby sitting arranged 0.o
  6. Spindle Well-Known Member

Thanks Afista! I can imagine it's a little 'wild' in the office this morning. ))
    Siren, Mizgamer62 and Griff like this.
  7. Boar New Member

Yeah, why does this worry me. As Detor said, these investment companies don't buy things for altruistic purposes. They buy them because they see them as undervalued or poorly run, with the intention to eke out more money than is currently being made. I mean there's a chance things will get better... But it seems to me like the focus of desktop gaming that was SoE, is now going to be muddied with numerous platforms, and styles of games. And they should have just changed the name to Columbus Nova Games lol, it'd be less confusing and more to the point.
  8. Wiccidlady New Member

Sooooo can we get EQ2 to run on Linux now? :p
  9. ArgentGarou Member

This just makes me think of the prosibien fiasco. To be honest what does an investment firm actually know about online gaming. But I'l keep my fingers crossed.
  10. Grouse Active Member

Maybe it means they might actually start marketing these games again. When was the last time you saw anything outside of direct MMO press about EQ2. It is still a great game with a great community, yet they don't seem to market it at all. Just imagine seeing an ad for EQ2 on a Doctor Who show!
  11. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

WOW ! I hope we aren't dismantled and killed for cash like many investment firms do to make tons of money.
    Gaealiege, Pipsissiwa, Siren and 10 others like this.
  12. rdurbin New Member

is qeynos gonna change to something like qekaerbyad? or maybe just qeyad
    Awkk, Duffy, Belenos and 9 others like this.
  13. semisus Does not play this game

Will i have to worry about eq and eq2 being shutdown? declining population and signs that there have been less focus on the 2 games recently , also willl subscribtions rise in price or fall? and same question for SC , since that is known as station cash? ( or sony cash as i prefer )
  14. Skitterfast Well-Known Member

It does, mostly.

Short term, I don't see too many changes. Long term, I am very worried we will see blatant P2W microtransactions and labor pools, similar to Archeage.
  15. Griff Well-Known Member

Now they can finally develop the Duck Mount (ducks...pun intended). Yeah, I'm a bit nervous having survived the fall of Vanguard right after they announced plans to put more resources into that game. Investors only invest so far without expecting a good return. Even with a good return, a sell off while it's hot is always foreshadowing. Guess it's wait and see...
  16. Kittybock Well-Known Member

hahahaha....I truly Lol'd.

As for the news, this was a shocker, gotta say. Commented so can track
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Adaarye like this.
  17. maxlancaster0 New Member

Lets hope with this means we'll have more response to player feedback. If they make a classic EQ2 server with Isle of Refuge and bring back some of the challenging features, I'll be satisfied.
  18. Avithax Well-Known Member

I didn't give my credit card number and personal information to a private investment company, I gave it to Sony.

How does this effect my personal data considering a new entity has inherited it and what assurances do we have that Daybreak will keep it safe?
  19. mmoblitz New Member

That was the first thing I thought of as well. I'm getting tired of my PC games getting simplified and redone just to suit consoles. DAI and ESO I'm looking at you.
    GrunEQ, Gaealiege, Pipsissiwa and 5 others like this.
  20. Wanic Active Member

I'm curious, with our ever thinning population (Inb4 someone mentions their server is busy 24/7) are we on a fine thread here or we soon going to get axed?

Clearly they've seen potential in SOE's current releases,but what about the OAP games? Will EQ/2 get diced to fund other projects once they figure out its worth keeping us round?