Sometimes We Don't Appreciate the Little Things

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Almee, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

DISCLAIMER: I am one of the people I talk about in this post.

Sometimes, I think we don't really appreciate all the little things Sony, DB, and DP have done to make this game so great. I, for one, get fixated on an issue and it tends to blind me to the overall picture.

And that picture is made up of little things such as house actors, treasure chests (to reduce rent), multiple ways to accomplish many goals, the sheer beauty of much of the graphics, etc. The list goes on and on.

As I was playing in Obol Plains, today, I once more stopped to appreciate the gorgeous scenery. And as I was leveling one of my characters there, about how I could level her in so many different ways such as agnostics, regular dungeons, raiding, doing status quests, etc. And while that is limited in some of the earlier expansions, the options get more plentiful with each succeeding year.

I've long complained about the harvest nodes being hard to see in many zones so they have combined nodes, for those of us with poor eyesight, but it also benefits people who just want to level up each harvesting skill at about the same pace because each node usually has mining, foresting, trapping, and harvesting items. That just leaves fishing which obviously can't be included with the other harvesting nodes. And there are still single harvest nodes for those that prefer them.

All of these things took time, effort, and money but that fact often gets overlooked when we are upset about something not working as it should or we don't like new content because it seems to favor one type of player over another.

There is plenty for any player to do in this game if they just take the time to think about their options. The end game, and best gear, or whatever, is just a small part of the game and it shouldn't be the main goal. The goal should be to have fun while participating in the many features offered by the game. And this game is packed with features. So I hope everyone chills (including me) the next time something goes haywire (and it will) and we remember that this is still an awesome, if imperfect, game thanks to all the little things it offers us.
    Gninja, parissa, Marae and 5 others like this.
  2. parissa Well-Known Member

Such an awesome post... i think its easy for us to get caught up in the small things and forget to see all the amazing things norrath had brought us throughout the years... Here's to hopefully many more years to come... Thank you darkpaw...
    Marae, Almee and Breanna like this.
  3. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I agree completely and Everquest II is probably the most multi-varied game that I've ever played. In what other game do your Characters get to Quest and Craft, to Harvest, Fish & Forage, to Own and Decorate Houses, to wear a variety of Armor types & casual clothing, Ride Mounts of Ground, Jump, Fly that include animals & machinery & disks? I love how Everquest II seems to fit my every mood and I have 20 Characters to prove it. Two are on Kaladim Server and eighteen are on Skyfire Server; most live in Qeynos but about four are in Freeport, one in Kelethin & 2 in Frostfang Seas. I am very happy with in Norrath with Everquest II skillfully maintained by Dark Paw Studios. Thank you for such a great game!
    parissa, Almee and Breanna like this.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

There are things I love about this game, and things I hate. It's when I - or rather we, as the EQ2 community of players - no longer care either way that this game will end.
    Almee likes this.
  5. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Well I hope that we always will continue to care because I really don't know what else I'd do with my days. I'm a retired federal worker and I spend A LOT of time in Everquest II. No other game gives me the same great feelings that EQ2 does .. that perfect mix of fantasy & medieval & modern reality without the grit, the grim, the problems. I do spend some time at SWTOR Star Wars the Old Republic, primarily when EQ2 is offline updating & I like it there but the futuristic feel just isn't as homey yet down to earth at EQ2. Used to play DAOC Dark Age of Camelot and of course Diablos I & II, tried III but didn't like it except for the witchdoctor character. But those games never offered so much all at once as Everquest II. I hope to spend a great many more good days enjoying the heck out of myself in Everquest II. Hubby calls it EverCrack and he's got almost as many characters as I do, husbands & boyfriends to mine.
    parissa, Breanna and Almee like this.
  6. Marae Well-Known Member

I have considered making a post like the OP on many an occasion. EQ2 is fantastic! I enjoy the great variety of play styles it supports, and the ability to do things which are creative in addition to the usual MMORPG fare. And I love the music! There's a lot of great game music out there, and EQ2 has some of the very best. It's evocative, singable, complex, haunting, catchy, and very well crafted - all the good stuff music can be - with plenty of variation. Some games grind you into the ground with repetitious music - not EQ2!

And as a role player, there are so many things about this game that I find compelling. The stories are interesting, intricate, thought-provoking, and nicely interwoven. Many of the characters you meet along the way have considerable depth; many are quirky and fun. And the humor - oh, my gods, the humor! I just about busted a gut just now at something my character said in response to an NPC. I also love that there are so many different niches for different types of characters. I have crafters and adventurers, but more than that, I have rebels and deeply loyal followers on both sides, well-heeled business owners and scrappy explorers, Norrathian homebodies and visiting aliens. All of them can be comfortable in the vast array of infinitely modifiable housing available to them.

I could go on and on and on, and on some more, so suffice it to say, I love this game!
    WhysperWynde, parissa and Breanna like this.
  7. parissa Well-Known Member

I was running around the wracklands looking for that one white no trade shiny I need... I was flying up by the ethereal merchant and realized how beautiful that area is with the trees and water.... The pastel colors blended so well together... It was almost serene... It reminded me of Obulus Frontier with their shades of trees and grass... I am now wondering if there are other zones like this that I have missed... Might have to go back searching now...
    Breanna, WhysperWynde and Hartsmith like this.
  8. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

fishing in variety of other games (similar) games is much more breathtaking than here.. plainly, there is no fishing as such in eq ii :( as not and any bonuses from fishing that we can see in other games. appositely and in lor that's so close to dbg. but provisioner will cook you many dishes from it :) , without need to catch mackerel or carp (collected from water like toadstools in glade)
    Breanna likes this.
  9. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I'm not much into fishing I must say but my Alchemist does need certain fish for her formulas. So she gets all the fish that we acquire & takes them over to her crafting quarters @ 2 Lucy St. Despite having 3 Kerran characters who obviously would love fish and do love TO fish .. but they wind up selling their fish/ocean wares on Marketplace. I have one Provisioner, My Ogre Gorralok Oggrok and she make food for everyone .. fishy loving Kerrans included.
    Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

Best fishing ever is in EQ, Rivervale with large stacks of bait and beer. :)
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Almee Well-Known Member

I do wish DP would beef up fishing. I found it so much fun in other games including EQ. They have added one non-fish item but there is so much more they could be doing with fishing. Imagine being able to fish up a chest, chair, or what have you for your home. Or how about a buff you can put on later when adventuring? There are lots of things, already in the game, that could be inserted as possible "catches." What I wouldn't give for some of the furniture in the Enchanted Lands or Rivervale <sigh>.
    Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

[turn down volume]

[turn up volume again]
  13. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

oooooo lineage II!!! there's a game i haven't played in a long time
    Nazy likes this.