Some zones don't track quests?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Fjolde, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Fjolde New Member

Been playing for a few weeks now and I'm noticing some zones don't track quests. I mean, won't mark where on the map quest mobs are or where to go.

Is there a reason for that or is it a bug?

Like, at a certain level zones stop tracking things on the map?
    Twyla likes this.
  2. Bludd Well-Known Member

they stopped doing that after a certain expac
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I use DarqUI and it doesn't show quest areas for all the zones i have been to.

Likely it needs to be passed on to someone who can add it in, but I don't know whom.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Dude Well-Known Member

Pretty sure KA is the first expansion where they weren't marked. At least, that's when I first remember people grumbling about it.
  5. Fjolde New Member

Did they just get lazy? More time/money went to developing cosmetics and marketplace items?

It would be one thing if the quests were written well but I've had quests tell me I need to go south to find x mob but after an hour+ of looking south it turns out it's actually north.
    Twyla likes this.
  6. Bludd Well-Known Member

i think they thought it made things too easy
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The devs thought that people should actually open your quest journal by pressing J and read the text, which tells you where to go rather than the excessive hand-holding of showing the blue areas. You can probably find the discussion in the past forum posts or the archived version of the forums.
    Breanna, Jesaine and Twyla like this.
  8. Twyla Well-Known Member

Well, that answers that. Thanks Sig. I still long for the hint and really miss that blue area, the journal isn't always as helpful as they think it is.
    Geroblue, Breanna and Jesaine like this.
  9. Jesaine Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in RTFM, even if I occasionally forget. :D Let's face it though, sometimes the Journal entries are outright misleading or wrong, as Fjolde pointed out 2 posts above yours. If the devs want us to read the mission description, that's all good and well. They in turn have an obligation to make them clear and accurate though. ;)
    Mermut, Twyla, Geroblue and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

I like the idea of RTFM too, and I do like exploration, but I also think that adding an opt-in option hidden within the games interface settings might be a good idea for ppl that might want to use that sort of thing. There are many reasons why someone would want to use the blue markers, one of them being time constraints. That being said, it should be totally optional and disabled by default, making ppl think for themselves first and foremost, but giving them the freedom to decide what they prefer in the long run afterwards.
    Geroblue and Breanna like this.
  11. Krizani Active Member

If I recall, the blue areas were removed after a certain point because it was found to cause a big performance hit and lag for some people. Then there was a bit of a compromise with the blue dots after that in some zones.
    Twyla likes this.